• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

Newk Yuler

Sooner or later stray visitors are going to realize you can't come here and post about anything that flies in the face of ASR purism without a bunch of educated guys acting like a group of kids circling them on the ASR playground and bullying them while feeling extra good for a little while about their righteousness. That's certainly not saying you're wrong. It's saying for some of us that stepping into a thread about audio cables is guaranteed to be a path that needs wading boots. Figuratively speaking. Dam if it seems I haven't yet learned to turn away from a thread about audio cables.

Blue Jeans Cables mofos! LOLs. :cool:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You know that you now are going to have to measure and compare them both!

Perhaps a 4 cable shoot out. An Amazon Basics, the two WBC (Canare and Mogami) , as well as one using the coaxial design favored by Blue Jeans / Mc_RME.
Amir has a noisier environment in the test lab than most homes. We would learn both which measure best...but also if the difference is likely to be audible (I am a doubter on that).

Last edited:

maarten

Sooner or later stray visitors are going to realize you can't come here and post about anything that flies in the face of ASR purism without a bunch of educated guys acting like a group of kids circling them on the ASR playground and bullying them while feeling extra good for a little while about their righteousness. That's certainly not saying you're wrong. It's saying for some of us that stepping into a thread about audio cables is guaranteed to be a path that needs wading boots. Figuratively speaking. Dam if it seems I haven't yet learned to turn away from a thread about audio cables.

Blue Jeans Cables mofos! LOLs. :cool:

Maybe those 'stray visitors' have not been burned in for enough hours to be corrobated in the ASR tiergarten ;-)

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Perhaps a 4 cable shoot out. An Amazon Basics, the two WBC (Canare and Mogami) , as well as one using the coaxial design favored by Blue Jeans and Mc_RME.
Amir has a noisier environment in the test lab than most homes. We would learn both what which measure best...but also if the difference is likely to be audible (I am a doubter on that).

My concern is that, after a 4 cable shootout, somebody else will say "but you didn't test cable x", or "maybe you didn't burn it in long enough", or some such nonsense.

Resistance, capacitance, impedance measurements are all that's needed... along with a blind test to determine at what values these measures affect sound.

As long as amir conducts his tests with the same measuring devices, then everything should be fine... and we can all stop turning our homes into Farraday cages and loosen the chin straps holding our tin foil hats in place.

Last edited:

deafenears

Forum Donor
The only issue I have with them is that the Amphenol RCA connectors are very long and torque smaller devices fair bit. So make sure you have solid RCA inputs before hanging these from them.
Looks like they're also available with shorter RCA connectors (Amphenol ACPL Black Chrome Body).

Tks

Major Contributor
I am hugely skeptical of most cable claims. However, I do believe in mechanically sound construction methods and designs based on well proven physics like star-quad cables.

Furthermore, I remain highly skeptical that if this does occur, that there is enough significance to it that it produces audible differences.

As you should, because there isn't a single shred of evidence that has been produced to support ridiculous audiophool claims.

These are the sorts of things people here are trying to disseminate.

No one cares about the "atomic shifts occurring over millions of years upon a wire because the temperature isn't zero kelvin".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the main issue I have with those sorts of people is, they have the audacity to start some scientifically based explanation for their voodoo, in attempts to justify theoretical portions of their claims. But when you want to drive home the point and actually continue with sound scientific reasoning to bring things to a conclusion, only then do they start throwing out all scientific claims you start making and becoming full fledged scientific method deniers.

So these motherfuckers will mouth off about facts that were ascertained using instruments or basics of chemistry and material sciences to prove something is worth being "open minded" about. But when you use the same line of reasoning to actually put the mechanistic theories to the test with population studies.. they then poison the well with every sort of nonsense to detonate the whole conversation, with frustration-conducing statements in where they attempt exit tactics like "yeah well that may be true, and honestly i don't really care, I hear what I hear, and I hear music; not graphs".

It's very interesting to see how cult-like their sorts are. Blatant hypocrisy, and contradictions where picking-and-choosing runs rampant. No single head entity or ideological stance that binds them, so they're all like a bunch of decentralized species where you would be hard-pressed attempting to classify each and every kind of lunacy-ridden denomination that exists.

I know I sometimes use some strong language, but I just need to think of all the new folks coming into the hobby, being led astray, and that sets me off the deep end sometimes. I think deep down many of us here can all agree, there's no harm in these sorts of people doing what they want, but once their nonsense starts spilling over especially to new-comers, and generally little-informed consumers, it drives people to create places like this forum.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Music1969

Major Contributor
Same situation over here. Had no time, ordered two cables from WBC a month ago. This one and another one based on Mogami 2964 with different, shorter (and more beautiful) Amphenols. Put the note on my note board for a good laugh when friends come visiting. :)

Hi, where did you get your 2964 if you don't mind me asking?

If it's well built I'd like to get from the same place you got it (less chance of the cable being fake too).

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, that’s Mogami 2964.

They also have Mogami 2549 and Mogami 2534.

Mogami claims that 2549 has the best fidelity, that 2534 (star quad) should be used for environments with lots of noise or grounding issues, and for 2964 they say “2964 is designed to be 75Ω coaxial cable comprised of OFC conductor so that it can be used for video signal as well as audio signal application with its low capacitance value of 65pF/m (19.8pF/Ft).”

Mogami’s webpage for each:

Last edited:

Zog

I wish people had a burn-in time so after, say, 25 years, their head operated rationally.
How about 24 years, not 25. In my practice as a Trial Lawyer I had a number of 'regulars', ie clients who I would see again and again. Then at 24 years of age I NEVER saw them again. It was curious. Later I was visiting The Netherlands and spoke to a probation worker. She told me that their information was that the brain only finished growing at 24! I was surprised that there was some evidence to that effect.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Science don't work on relativist. Because uncertainty is so certain to them.

That would include Einstein and all those who subscribe to the vigorous proof afforded to the Theory of General Relativity as too the scientists over at Cern working on the LHC ??? Quantum Theory is relavistic too if you look at it from the angle of the uncertainty (levels) of particles in the quantum realm.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How about 24 years, not 25. In my practice as a Trial Lawyer I had a number of 'regulars', ie clients who I would see again and again. Then at 24 years of age I NEVER saw them again. It was curious. Later I was visiting The Netherlands and spoke to a probation worker. She told me that their information was that the brain only finished growing at 24! I was surprised that there was some evidence to that effect.
Well according to some info men have brain maturity at 25, and women at 21. Did you see a difference in the sexes?

Then again other info indicates women emotionally mature at age 32 while for men it is 43. As the former info is from brain scans and how the brain functions and the latter is not, I don't feel so secure in the emotional maturity info. My experience of that is that it varies greatly from person to person.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ahh, that is why I was so confused. WBC's more expensive Mogami is this one. Using the directional star/quad topology.
I am trying to compare it to the one @MC_RME suggested. Outside of that, it is probably best to get longer lengths to test as I doubt in this one-foot size the differences will be material.

DKT88

Thing I don't like about Amazon third party sellers is there is no information on the company, part of Amazon's business model that is flooding the market with fakes. Worlds Best Cables has no web site that I can find. So they may be authentic components but could just as easily be high quality Chinese fakes.

Zog

Well according to some info men have brain maturity at 25, and women at 21. Did you see a difference in the sexes?
95% of clients were male - so nothing meaningful there. The main correlations were alcohol and drugs, nothing surprising there. As for the actual age there will of course be individual difference, just as there are in height.

Reactions: Tks

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I am trying to compare it to the one @MC_RME suggested. Outside of that, it is probably best to get longer lengths to test as I doubt in this one-foot size the differences will be material.

Agreed.

IF there are measurable differences, it would probably be a lot easier to squeeze them out of longer lengths with higher impedance, capacitance and EMI susceptibility built into them.

Maybe 10 feet would be good start as it won't be too far off the typical install use ?

Top Bottom