• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio DirectStream DAC Mk.2 measurements

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1696004956262.gif

Reactions: jkr

jkr

but they don’t tell me how things may sound.
Then I would assume you like ringing in your music :facepalm:
We did many hours of testing and listing to come up with a good solution and the 1948 in ether copper or silver are not. We felt the silver was very harsh and bright even after many, many hours of break-in. The copper was not much different.

jkr

Any of that testing unsighted?
All final listen testing was done with a panel of listeners using our blind and level matched A/B testing system. This allows immediate A/B comparisons. (no gaps between switching from the listening position).
Also look how poorly it did in the Dac. :eek: These transformers were purchased together as a pair.... Look how much different they measure.

DS mk1 1948 Ag.jpg

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
I’m not really sure this shows much to be honest, the levels of distortion are extremely low anyway - you still sell the Lundahl silver upgrade on your website so why isn’t it better? I’m afraid we can’t avoid subjectivity here.

One thing I am aware of is that magnetic fields couple better silver-sliver, as opposed to copper-copper (pri-sec) - usually allows more of the signal though.
Magnetic coupling: It does not matter what material the conductor is made from. If a conductor has a certain current flowing though it, the magnetic field around it will be the same, whether Cu or Ag or something else. Identical magnetic fields will behave identically. The flowing current sets up the magnetic field, not the conductor material. DC resistance will vary, with silver beating copper in that regard. Except for DCR, two identically made coils, one of silver and one of copper will behave the same magnetically. If DCR is an issue, then go with a slightly larger guage with the copper and save some money on the wire. Only reason for using Ag I can think of is that the space is so restricted that a slightly larger Cu coil would not fit, and the smaller Ag one of same DCR would fit. Either that, or an audiophool belief that Ag sounds better than Cu.

Last edited:

jkr

Magnetic coupling: It does not matter what material the conductor is made from. If a conductor has a certain current flowing though it, the magnetic field around it will be the same, whether Cu or Ag or something else. Identical magnetic fields will behave identically. The flowing current sets up the magnetic field, not the conductor material. DC resistnace will vary, with silver beating copper in that regard. Except for DCR, two identically made coils, one of silver and one of copper will behave the same magnetically. If DCR is an issue, then go with a slightly larger guage with the copper and save some money on the wire. Only reason for using Ag I can think of is that the space is so restricted that a slightly larger Cu coil would not fit, and the smaller Ag one of same DCR would fit.
Core size, wire size, turns ratio / type and core material matters. Conductor material is of little importance.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Core size, wire size, turns ratio and core material matters. Conductor material is of little importance.
True when the wire is used in transformers & inductors rather than in, say, an interconnect.

jkr

I missed this statement from your prior post.
One thing I am aware of is that magnetic fields couple better silver-sliver, as opposed to copper-copper (pri-sec) - usually allows more of the signal though.
This is not true. Conductor material of silver or copper create the same magnetic field.

egellings

Major Contributor
I missed this statement from your prior post.

This is not true. Conductor material of silver or copper create the same magnetic field.
It's the current, not the material, that does it.

TaxTime

But the conductor material can affect the amount of current (allowed) to flow through it (for a given size), thereby affecting the the magnetic field (for a given size)?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But the conductor material can affect the amount of current (allowed) to flow through it (for a given size), thereby affecting the the magnetic field (for a given size)?
Right - but only by the resistance parameter. And then only by a few percent. Two cables sized to be the same resistance will give the same field regardless of material. And bear in mind that small percentage will be an even tinier percentage of the overall impedance of the inductor/transformer - so the impact really will be insignificant.

Reactions: jkr

AdrianusG

Sorry for a couple of miss typings in my posting above, but typing on a bloody smartphone still sucks.

verendus

All final listen testing was done with a panel of listeners using our blind and level matched A/B testing system. This allows immediate A/B comparisons. (no gaps between switching from the listening position).
Also look how poorly it did in the Dac. :eek: These transformers were purchased together as a pair.... Look how much different they measure.
Now that you've had the nickel transformer upgrade for both MK1 and MK2, how would you rate the two DACs with the upgrade? Will MK2 with APS transformer really worth the upgrade over the MK1 with the same transformer and your VOCM mod? If so by how much?

jkr

The MK1 and MK2 APS Audio transformers are NOT the same.

In listening test that have been performed here, I would rate these 3 DACs from best to worst using instant switching level match blind testing. BTW the worst is a great DAC.

note: I wanted to include the lower priced RME DAC (actually an AD/DA) that has great measurements and sounds fantastic.
#1 DSD MK2 with the MK2 APS Audio transformers installed along with repairing the factory defects and installing 3M RF shielding.
#2 DSD MK1 with Vocm mod, The MK1 APS Audio transformers installed. *NOT using the USB input and with USB shorting plugs installed along with 3M RF shielding on the USB chip and FPGA chip. The USB input is not good in this DAC.
#3 The RME ADI2PROFSRBE. STOCK. In my opinion one of the best sounding (using off the shelf chip AK4493) FPGA A/D D/A converters.

We also use a DDC so all three DACs receive the same exact digital signal and to galvanically isolate the digital source from the DAC's. All DACs are running through an Audio Research preamp balanced connection.

The MK1 is just a little more musical and real sounding than the RME. These are close. The MK1 is a little more focused than the MK2.
The MK2 has a larger stage with instruments sounding a bit larger and spaced farther apart than the MK1. The sound signature (flavor) is the same in both.

This is our take along with a panel of random listeners on our system.

verendus

The MK1 and MK2 APS Audio transformers are NOT the same.

In listening test that have been performed here, I would rate these 3 DACs from best to worst using instant switching level match blind testing. BTW the worst is a great DAC.

note: I wanted to include the lower priced RME DAC (actually an AD/DA) that has great measurements and sounds fantastic.
#1 DSD MK2 with the MK2 APS Audio transformers installed along with repairing the factory defects and installing 3M RF shielding.
#2 DSD MK1 with Vocm mod, The MK1 APS Audio transformers installed. *NOT using the USB input and with USB shorting plugs installed along with 3M RF shielding on the USB chip and FPGA chip. The USB input is not good in this DAC.
#3 The RME ADI2PROFSRBE. STOCK. In my opinion one of the best sounding (using off the shelf chip AK4493) FPGA A/D D/A converters.

We also use a DDC so all three DACs receive the same exact digital signal and to galvanically isolate the digital source from the DAC's. All DACs are running through an Audio Research preamp balanced connection.

The MK1 is just a little more musical and real sounding than the RME. These are close. The MK1 is a little more focused than the MK2.
The MK2 has a larger stage with instruments sounding a bit larger and spaced farther apart than the MK1. The sound signature (flavor) is the same in both.

This is our take along with a panel of random listeners on our system.
Thank you for the detailed comparison. Great to hear RME can rub shoulders with these DACs that are 5x-6x more expensive. I do have the MK1 with your mod and am contemplating moving up to MK2. Regardless of how it measures, it's been the best sounding DAC that has gone through my system (that is many of the best measured DACs from this site), and I can say none came even close to the musicality and effortlessness presentation of the DS DAC. I am trying to imagine what "better" quality MK2 could offer to an already great sounding DAC. I guess I will never know until I try.

DonR

Major Contributor
Community note: The subjective experience of music is deeply personal. Factors such as listener preferences, psychological biases, and the specific characteristics of the recorded music can all contribute to the perception of a device as being more "musical." Always keep in mind that reproduction equipment is not a musical instrument.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Thank you for the detailed comparison. Great to hear RME can rub shoulders with these DACs that are 5x-6x more expensive. I do have the MK1 with your mod and am contemplating moving up to MK2. Regardless of how it measures, it's been the best sounding DAC that has gone through my system (that is many of the best measured DACs from this site), and I can say none came even close to the musicality and effortlessness presentation of the DS DAC. I am trying to imagine what "better" quality MK2 could offer to an already great sounding DAC. I guess I will never know until I try.
Expense is not a good measure for good engineering, let alone sound.

I am highly sceptical of the alleged results and the claimed blind listening tests as it is not in line what has been observed since years otherwise. However, I would be happy to be proven wrong if the OP and posts his results.
Edit. Typo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom