• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 13.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 182 82.7%

• Total voters

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would guess thinner nozzle and smaller body would maximize wide compatibility as this would fit people with small ear canals and people with bigger canals just use bigger tips. Most of the fit complaints I've seen recently on this forum are to do with nozzles being too wide.

I use the Etymotic ER2XR mostly which is tiny (not designed to fit the outer ear at all) with a ~2-3mm nozzle, smaller than any ear canal, so you pick the tips that fit and it won't fall out. Every non-Etymotic earphone I've ever tried doesn't stay sealed in my ear for more than 3 seconds and falls out fully after a few minutes. I think Etymotics could be universally preferred if it weren't for the fact that the deep insertion is uncomfortable for a proportion of people, which becomes a deal breaker rather than a small annoyance.

For me, based on the picture above (thanks @IAtaman ) I'm thinking the Zero could fit better because the nozzle goes off at more of an angle and has a smooth inner face which could allow more adjustment, whilst the Wan'er has that moulded wing which could be pushing it out of my ear.

I'm tempted to save up for the Sennheiser IE200 just because I would like a shallow-insertion IEM and I've heard it fits so well due to being so small, instead of paying the same equivalent amount on trying different cheap IEMs.
I have an ER2SE and ER4XR and like them. I appreciate the isolation and have no problem with the (very!) deep insertion: I read somewhere that by seating very deep they provide a perfect seal and 'some' additional bone conduction effect, which is why their lack of measured bass is less a problem than one could think. But I agree, deep insertion is an absolute no for many! I also have some IEMs where the body just interfere too much with my concha and I can't "forget them"...

I think evaluating the "fit" is as important as the FR for an IEM (less important for a HP in my opinion...)

Should we start a fund for Amir to buy a 3D-scanner and publish a simple 3D model or multi-plans view of each IEM being reviewed?

Hifihedgehog

Forum Donor
Darn you, @amirm! I had you guys delete my account just a bit ago thinking I was cured of my ceaseless audiophile forum reads once and for all. Well, I relapsed this week. (I'm okay to anyone reading. This wasn't a psychological issue. I just wanted to devote more time to other pursuits.) Further, I saw this review, I tried them and, by golly, I cannot get my ears off of them. They are so good I was compelled to come back to express just how good they are! I did not do double blind testing, but I own both these and Elysian Annihilators (which, by the way, are going to be sold promptly, and if that isn't a seal of approval for these IEMs, I honestly don't know what is). Every person in my household who tried both overwhelmingly preferred the 7Hz Salnotes Zero. Perfection. These are giant killers and not proverbially and figuratively either. If they were priced $100, they would still be totally worth it. Thank you for saving my wallet, Amir, (for now, that is... the Annihilator proceeds are going towards some Topping goodness and Ascend LXs!) and happy to be back on the forums from my semi-hiatus!

a2Thompson

Preference rating calculation equation is the result of a regression analysis done on the preference data. The weighting of the std-dev and absolute slope is about equal in the equation that calculates the score.
Thanks for that info! Do you know how the nearly equal weighting was determined to be the best formulation? I think it would be quite interesting to evaluate directly with listeners which of these parameters are more important. My guess is that experiment has not been conducted, but perhaps it has...

TurtlePaul

Thanks for that info! Do you know how the nearly equal weighting was determined to be the best formulation? I think it would be quite interesting to evaluate directly with listeners which of these parameters are more important. My guess is that experiment has not been conducted, but perhaps it has...
If this is like the other preference formulas Harman produces, they do the statistical regression analysis to make the model outcome have highest correlation with the listener live preferences. So I expect the weights to be experimentally valid.

The main changes to the Harman IEM model seems to be with the shape of the HRTF and where the frequency peak lies.

therobin

For me, based on the picture above (thanks @IAtaman ) I'm thinking the Zero could fit better because the nozzle goes off at more of an angle and has a smooth inner face which could allow more adjustment, whilst the Wan'er has that moulded wing which could be pushing it out of my ear.
I just wanted to add to what I wrote earlier and mention that even though I didn't have a problem with the large bore Truthear Zero fitting my ear, I feel much more comfortable with 7zh Zero using the large Spinfits. I can't comment on the other IEM in that picture since I don't have it. But the 7zh Zero with the spinfit is easily the most comfortable IEM I ever tried.
If they were priced $100, they would still be totally worth it.
I understand it is easy to make these statements when you finally come across a great product at a great price. But it this type of logic that ultimately leads back to kilobuck IEMs not worth their salt.

I would reverse that logic and say other products are not worth their asking price. I get companies need more expensive products to make more money and expand. But it is not acceptable at the cost of inferior products which is often found in many industries full of overpriced garage. Kind of like the audiophile industry....

Hifihedgehog

Forum Donor
I understand it is easy to make these statements when you finally come across a great product at a great price. But it this type of logic that ultimately leads back to kilobuck IEMs not worth their salt.

I would reverse that logic and say other products are not worth their asking price. I get companies need more expensive products to make more money and expand. But it is not acceptable at the cost of inferior products which is often found in many industries full of overpriced garage. Kind of like the audiophile industry....
I agree there are plenty of audiophile products that are not worth their price with tons of snake oil, and we should not allow perceived value of crap to blind us to the true inherent value of bargain valued diamonds in the rough. But what actually drove me to the Elysian Annihilator two years ago was Crinacle who ranked it at the top of his IEM list, because I believed it was the best among at least some objective measurements. I had already demoed probably 100+ IEMs by the time I settled confidently with the Annihilator—and including headphones, easily 200+ demoed. Based on the graphs and recommendation of Crinacle, I felt it was the best IEM then for me. And yes, it was admittedly very much diminishing returns, and now, it is not worth it at all. But I was looking for the very best and an end game IEM and to the best of my working knowledge then, it was so far. All I can say is the IEM market—as I once remarked about five years ago—was where the innovation was happening and now that has come full circle. We have $20 IEMs that not only make kilobuck models look bad but even make headphones like the Sennheiser HD 800 look laughably overpriced even on clearance.

Msgjk

Kind of think I am going to sit tight with my Zero Reds. I do EQ them and really like how they sound on my V20. But the 7hz Salnotes-Zero should make an amazing stocking stuffer.
Good to hear. I am seriously considering getting a v20 or v30 to use as a dap. I currently use the salnotes zero with a s10e and an Hola SHIO usb dac. I wonder if it would be a big step up to justify the 100 or so $?

Hifihedgehog

Forum Donor
One way to fight it is just to buy everyone these as stocking stuffers and gifts galore. Flood the market so there is no space left for the greedy moneygrubbers. I just got them yesterday and I still am pinching myself this morning wondering how in the world 7Hz Salnotes Zero are end game material for $20. They are criminally inexpensive. I am listening to my favorites and the soundstage is enormous (a typical product of ultra low distortion and excellent treble response, which Amir's graphs bear out). Besides gifting, I bought three extra pairs just to tide me over in case of a nuclear apocalypse. Has anyone used these in the gym? My only concern is I sweat like crazy when I work out (I am a long distance runner) and depending on their design, certain IEMs get permanently damaged. I mean, it is $20 of a jaw dropping audio experience, which isn't bad considering how high concert ticket prices are these days.

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
One way to fight it is just to buy everyone these as stocking stuffers and gifts galore. Flood the market so there is no space left for the greedy moneygrubbers. I just got them yesterday and I still am pinching myself this morning wondering how in the world 7Hz Salnotes Zero are end game material for $20. They are criminally inexpensive. I am listening to my favorites and the soundstage is enormous (a typical product of ultra low distortion and excellent treble response, which Amir's graphs bear out). Besides gifting, I bought three extra pairs just to tide me over in case of a nuclear apocalypse. Has anyone used these in the gym? My only concern is I sweat like crazy when I work out (I am a long distance runner) and depending on their design, certain IEMs get permanently damaged. I mean, it is $20 of a jaw dropping audio experience, which isn't bad considering how high concert ticket prices are these days.
I do not run, walk at a pace, never swet, not at all concerned about a nuclear apocalypse (they will lose), and still yet ordered twelve...of version 2.

:):):):)

astcal

Forum Donor
I see two models on Amazon:

Linsoul 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2​

Linsoul 7Hz Salnotes Zero​

are they of the same product line?

Emlin

I see two models on Amazon:

Linsoul 7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2​

Linsoul 7Hz Salnotes Zero​

are they of the same product line?
No, the first one is the new version. Supposedly more bass and treble spike fixed.

markanini

Major Contributor
Flood the market so there is no space left for the greedy moneygrubbers.
1. This has nothing to do with the goals of the 7Hz Zero series.
2. Price segmentation exists because there is a demand for IEMs at different price points.
3. Flooding the market with inexpensive products is used as a sly tactic to disrupt the competition, even create a monopoly. Only very large companies can afford it, as it incurs revenue losses.

mc.god

astcal

Forum Donor
anybody here can give some preliminary review/comparison between the Salnotes Zero and the brand new Crinacle Zero:2 ?

Emlin

anybody here can give some preliminary review/comparison between the Salnotes Zero and the brand new Crinacle Zero:2 ?
It's already happened. I suggest you read this thread.

erniebert

Thanks for the review, Amir. The measurements confirm that it was and is an amazing IEM. Independent of price. Good that you wrote "Technically the 7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM is excellent", because almost all reviewers repeat to say that the "technicalities" (totally invented term without any meaning) are clearly not as good as from a $1,000 IEM. This is just because they need to justifiy their tier lists and other reviews etc. Version 2 remedies the weakish bass and the treble spike.
I think it's Crinacle who may have started the use of "technical ability" and "technicalities". It's there in his website. He himself admits it's 'mostly' pseudoscience, yet he uses these terms in his notorious ranking lists. Now everyone in head-fi and elsewhere—reviewers, for instance—seems to be using it, although contextual intent in meaning is inconsistent; hence, yes, meaningless.

KikoKentaurus

Just got my pair through hifi-passion, these are my first IEMs and I've realized that it differs from my previous earphone experience. All plugs that I ever had were cheapo's, in that basic form, whereas IEMs are pretty big in comparison, so they resemble the form of external earhole just to fit nicely, cause still, you gotta fit those electronics inside of something small enough to be worn.

And here's what worries me: whenever I slightly move my head, there is that noise, similar to sound of the sea, caused by friction of an earphone inside my ear. So when I touch the cable, I can feel this sound. What I mean is that when you wear them, if you slightly tap the earphone itself it will produce that strong sound, caused by the "vacuum" in between of the nuzzle and internal ear canal. Of course when music is loud enough one wouldn't notice it, but while watching movies it's still pretty noticeable

I wonder if that can be fixed by different tips. So when I wear them they'd produce no sound from physical contact. Anyone knows what I'm talking about? Maybe foam tips could help?

TurtlePaul

I wonder if that can be fixed by different tips. So when I wear them they'd produce no sound from physical contact. Anyone knows what I'm talking about? Maybe foam tips could help?
This is called microphonics. It is well known in IEMs. The remedy to reduce this is to find the cable that fits just right around your ear and which doesn't create noise when it rubs on your shirt. Foam tips can also help somewhat.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is called microphonics. It is well known in IEMs. The remedy to reduce this is to find the cable that fits just right around your ear and which doesn't create noise when it rubs on your shirt. Foam tips can also help somewhat.
And a snug chin bobble helps a lot too between ears and the Y split

Top Bottom