• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Battle of RCA Cables: Mogami, Amazon, Monoprice

cyclo

To be sure of what?
FerriteCoreClamp.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Holmz

Major Contributor

You do not have an RF antenna, and a subwoofer is not a high frequency device.
I think in the spirit of “Audio Science” it would be worthwhile to show some benefit happening, or something that needs to be ameliorated, which the ferrite addresses.

The ferrite clamps are cheap... The sub cable is long and goes around, over, under other mains cables connected to other components (TV, etc.). Just cheap insurance...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurement-and-comparison.27937/#post-970936

You keep talking about insurance, but was there any hum noted on the subwoofer to begin with?
And the ferrite is not taking out hum, bit is taking out high frequency stuff… which the subwoofer does not play.

Hence… it seems more like a wank to doll up the cable.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
As far as I can tell W2893 has a bit more flexibility and is less microphonic than W2534, but also has more parasitic capacitances.

Other than that, it's just different colors on the jacket. They'll sound exactly the same in all but the most extreme use cases.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Any difference between these cables? Or is it just mainly the looks (colors)?

When you believe cables can make a difference ... they certainly will.
Science says they won't make a technical discernible difference.

So yes, basically it is all about looks.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
It should be noted that any comments or arguments in defence of cable shielding and the resultant benefits are summarily and regularly closed down on this forum.
Which is why I'm not going to bother commenting ;)

Watch for the backlash to even this comment in 3.....2......1.....

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It should be noted that any comments or arguments in defence of cable shielding and the resultant benefits are summarily and regularly closed down on this forum.

...Go.

For a minuscule number of use cases, extra shielding may be of some help. But peddling it as an advantage for 99.99% of cases is plain old dishonesty. If someone is not getting noise pickup from normal cheap cables, fancier ones will make no difference (except to your bank account). It's a sad truth, though, that if you don't use FUD, you won't be able to compete with a parity product. But don't expect technically competent people to stay silent about the grift.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Measurable differences between cables are just that, measurable and supportable.
Comments of opinion are in the main, snake-oil BS.
Please supply the measurements supporting your "worthless as an upgrade" Mamba braided AC cables.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"even"?

Nobody shuts you down, they just say it's useless until you bring some measurements and listening tests. If you consider that 'backlash', you certainly aren't an engineer.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Measurable differences between cables are just that, measurable and supportable.
But often not significant, as in "usually." The only exceptions are phono cables for MM, where capacitance changes frequency response.

Shielded power cables are particularly daft.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
As far as I can tell W2893 has a bit more flexibility and is less microphonic than W2534, but also has more parasitic capacitances.

Other than that, it's just different colors on the jacket. They'll sound exactly the same in all but the most extreme use cases.
Those are both Star Quad balanced microphone cables. Isn't this about RCA cables.
Heavy shielding in long RCA interconnect cables, isn't about interference suppression.
It's about reducing Common Impedance Coupling Noise currents. (AC power line related)

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"even"?

Nobody shuts you down, they just say its useless until you bring some measurements and listening tests. If you consider that 'backlash', you certainly aren't an engineer.
Cat is just a cable shill. Preying on the uninformed. Which is why I added him to the "Ignore" list a while ago. I see he still pops up... too bad.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

So, rather than provide more than empty claims, you'll just become a drive-by troll?

Yeah...no.

Andysu

Major Contributor
@amirm can you , this is rather odd one , i can do this test myself , but maybe you could ,
string and um, vaseline not to be kinky of course

rub the vaseline onto string and see if it can conduct a voltage or test with voltmeter see if there is any continuity

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@amirm can you , this is rather odd one , i can do this test myself , but maybe you could ,
string and um, vaseline not to be kinky of course

rub the vaseline onto string and see if it can conduct a voltage or test with voltmeter see if there is any continuity
Vaseline? I'm hoping this is a joke.

Top Bottom