• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Avantone CLA-10 (Yamaha NS-10M Clone) Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 153 90.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 3.5%

• Total voters

goat76

Major Contributor
1692096840834.png

This graph has been posted a few times now, but where is the data that indicates that the audio production made in those studios had any problems?

As I understand it, all the monitors in that test were calibrated the same for the purpose of analyzing different room responses, but how were all those monitors usually calibrated in normal studio use?
Maybe they normally had compensations to tackle the room problems?

PeteL

Major Contributor
@amirm , I see it as 2 problems, of which I think one is already almost solved:
  1. What is the standard going to be? To me the answer is quite clear which I outlined in the following post, do you agree with that as a sensible target (albeit ranges of acceptability would have to be determined)? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...yamaha-ns-10m-clone-review.46954/post-1686968
  2. Implementation. Who creates the standard/which body/who disseminates it into the recording industry/which body deals with the accreditation of those standards in the recording industry? I don't know the answers to these questions, does anybody, is there an existing body that can take this on board and make it start to happen through the recording industry? If there isn't, then how is it gonna start to be implemented, does a new body need to be set up, who can do that?
What do you think to what I've outlined here @amirm ?

(I don't really see the need for the circular arguments that are happening in this thread (it's not on you), surely the discussion should just be about those two points above.)
To be honest Robbo, thanks for the effort, but if the standard you propose is as easy to reach as what you describe in post 713. I can already tell you that 99%+ of the serious mastering studios (when the final results get approve as per Amir's demand) already comply to that. The practice of using neutral speakers with good directivity and fixing room modes is outrageously dominant. The fact will still remain that people listen to music on BT speaker more than on good ones.

PeteL

Major Contributor
View attachment 305940

This graph has been posted a few times now, but where is the data that indicates that the audio production made in those studios had any problems?

As I understand it, all the monitors in that test were calibrated the same for the purpose of analyzing different room responses, but how were all those monitors usually calibrated in normal studio use?
Maybe they normally had compensations to tackle the room problems?
This thread is incredibly long, it may be somewhere but do you have the link to the paper in question?

Zensō

Major Contributor
II've bookmarked your link from Sonarworks so I'll read it later in more detail, but fact remains is that headphones are too unpredictable between listeners due to anatomy differences in order for them to be considered useful to be used as a standard in music production.
You keep repeating this over and over while ignoring the fact that >80% of music is now consumed on some form of headphone. If you truly want to mitigate for the circle of confusion, this fact has to be at the center of your proposed standard.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You keep repeating this over and over while ignoring the fact that >80% of music is now consumed on some form of headphone. If you truly want to mitigate for the circle of confusion, this fact has to be at the center of your proposed standard.
If we want to speak specifically about that issue, then ok. The frequency response of headphones probably differs more than that of speakers, if you're talking about speakers meaning bookshelf's & up, and then you're combining that with the unpredictable effects of HRTF and headphone coupling that conspire to influence what the end consumer hears - so it's a total real mess if you assume everyone leaves their headphones at stock - so you just can't create tracks to be optimised to headphones in the sense of frequency response, not unless you say: well which are the most common headphones, how much market share do they have, can we make a mix for a specific headphone (or can we create an EQ'able ecosystem based on metadata that EQ's the main master track at the consumer level to be applicable to their specific device - a big ask in overall development of the whole ecosystem). Headphones when used at stock are such an unmitigated mess that it's impossible to create a mix that from a tonality perspective is suitable for all headphones, it just can't be done. Instead, I see it as the job of the headphone manufacturer to produce headphones that most closely mimic studio monitors in terms of their tonality and smoothness of frequency response - and given the current research that would be headphone manufacturers trying to target the Harman Headphone Curve. So I don't see it as the job of the music creator to produce music that sounds good (or is optimised) for all headphones as that is impossible - therefore as a music creator you can't attempt to do that currently - therefore the best thing a music creator can currently do is optimise their track for Anechoic Flat Speakers whilst perhaps taking into account the slightly different imaging of headphones in the creation of their final product......but I see it as the job of the headphone manufacturers to mimic Anechoic Flat Speakers as best they can, not the job of the music creator to account for that (which is impossible like I've described).

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be honest Robbo, thanks for the effort, but if the standard you propose is as easy to reach as what you describe in post 713. I can already tell you that 99%+ of the serious mastering studios (when the final results get approve as per Amir's demand) already comply to that. The practice of using neutral speakers with good directivity and fixing room modes is outrageously dominant. The fact will still remain that people listen to music on BT speaker more than on good ones.
Well if 99% of studios really do target what I described in post 713 then that's very good news - albeit it would still be good to have a standard written in stone that could be adhered to, because of course we're talking about allowed tolerances and what tolerance for directivity, etc. To be honest, if people are gonna be listening on small bluetooth speakers then they need to be aware that it's not high fidelity and they just go with it - and similar to the post above (reply to @acbarn ) it'll be down to the manufacturers of these smaller/compromised listening solutions to match the standard (if it were created) as best they can - it's better to put the onus on the speaker manufacturer I think. And if the music creator wanted to make sure their stuff doesn't sound empty when played on a limited range speaker they can just wack in some Low Shelfs & High Shelfs (or High Passes & Low Passes) on their flat studio monitors to simulate what it would sound like on limited frequency range speakers.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Well if 99% of studios really do target what I described in post 713 then that's very good news - albeit it would still be good to have a standard written in stone that could be adhered to, because of course we're talking about allowed tolerances and what tolerance for directivity, etc. To be honest, if people are gonna be listening on small bluetooth speakers then they need to be aware that it's not high fidelity and they just go with it - and similar to the post above (reply to @acbarn ) it'll be down to the manufacturers of these smaller/compromised listening solutions to match the standard (if it were created) as best they can - it's better to put the onus on the speaker manufacturer I think. And if the music creator wanted to make sure their stuff doesn't sound empty when played on a limited range speaker they can just wack in some Low Shelfs & High Shelfs (or High Passes & Low Passes) on their flat studio monitors to simulate what it would sound like on limited frequency range speakers.
The speakers part is easy. That's the whole point of this discussion, the Room part is hard.

These recommendation from Dr Toole go much much farther than what you are describing and he mentioned that in 2015 it was already generally common practice for stereo music:

This recommendation paper also goes much much farther than what you describe:

What you describe don't solve what the core of the discussion is about the fact that even with very tightly controlled speakers like genelec, 20 years ago there was still some inconsistency, at least for multi Channel

A LOT have been done since these researches emerged. The question is, is it enough? I don't think the question is should we simply "dumb it down" No I am not calling you dumb, it's just the expression for over simplifying a complex problem.
Now of course, What I a talking about is the industry as we used to know it. Large corporations, large budget, etc.
Sure home producers don't all work in ideal conditions and it's a huge part of the pie. We have solutions for them too, Like a room calibration suite like SonarWorx is not outrageously expensive If you are serious about producing. But then it comes down to a whole other debates wich is the democratization of music distribution, wich I am generally in favor with but it will obviously be the source of inconsistencies in term of production quality.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
(or can we create an EQ'able ecosystem based on metadata that EQ's the main master track at the consumer level to be applicable to their specific device - a big ask in overall development of the whole ecosystem).
Personalization is likely where we’re headed. Sonarworks is working on it, Apple is moving in this direction with their Personalized Spatial Audio, and Sean Olive has touched on it in recent interviews/presentations.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The speakers part is easy. That's the whole point of this discussion, the Room part is hard.

These recommendation from Dr Toole go much much farther than what you are describing and he mentioned that in 2015 it was already generally common practice for stereo music:

This recommendation paper also goes much much farther than what you describe:

What you describe don't solve what the core of the discussion is about the fact that even with very tightly controlled speakers like genelec, 20 years ago there was still some inconsistency, at least for multi Channel

A LOT have been done since these researches emerged. The question is, is it enough? I don't think the question is should we simply "dumb it down" No I am not calling you dumb, it's just the expression for over simplifying a complex problem.
Now of course, What I a talking about is the industry as we used to know it. Large corporations, large budget, etc.
Sure home producers don't all work in ideal conditions and it's a huge part of the pie. We have solutions for them too, Like a room calibration suite like SonarWorx is not outrageously expensive If you are serious about producing. But then it comes down to a whole other debates wich is the democratization of music distribution, wich I am generally in favor with but it will obviously be the source of inconsistencies in term of production quality.
RoomEQ is simple if you're doing it for one listening position. Inasmuch as you treat your room and speaker position (whilst retaining equilateral triangle of course) vs walls, etc until you have your best baseline frequency response, with least amount of dips*, then you RoomEQ to take down the peaks below transition zone and maybe boost some of the small (hopefully) dips a little. In terms of what slope you target in the transition zone is up for debate, but Harman would say Harman hump in the bass. In terms of what's happening above transition you don't do anything if your speakers are perfectly Anechoic Flat, but if you know they're not Anechoic Flat up there then you apply Anechoic EQ up there based on measurements provided by Klippel (eg Amir & some others).

*look for the star, yes actually that part is not easy, as it takes time & experimentation, but that's all. Of course if you have subs then you time align them and cross them over, etc.....and I suppose perhaps some of that could be included in the standard if it was deemed if the crossover had to be below a certain point for instance.

But all-in-all, you don't have to blind me with links, it's not a complicated (or shouldn't be for knowledgeable individuals or professionals).

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personalization is likely where we’re headed. Sonarworks is working on it, Apple is moving in this direction with their Personalized Spatial Audio, and Sean Olive has touched on it in recent interviews/presentations.
(fine but we're talking about in the context of music creation in relation to Circle of Confusion, so let's try to keep posts tightly on topic of that, or link your post into that)

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
(fine but we're talking about in the context of music creation in relation to Circle of Confusion, so let's try to keep posts tightly on topic of that, or link your post into that)
Personalization needs to happen on both the creation and delivery side. SW is specifically working on the creation side.

It seems the standard you're advocating for is intended to create the most accurate result for only a tiny minority of end users, specifically audiophiles with anachoically flat speakers in a well treated room (this has to be less than 1%). As a creator, I'm much more concerned about how the largest majority of listeners will hear my music, in other words on headphones of some sort, most likely AirPods. This makes headphone personalization on both sides equally relevant to the topic (with personalization to an agreed upon target on both ends we've gone a long way to mitigating for the CoC).

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
RoomEQ is simple if you're doing it for one listening position. Inasmuch as you treat your room and speaker position (whilst retaining equilateral triangle of course) vs walls, etc until you have your best baseline frequency response, with least amount of dips*, then you RoomEQ to take down the peaks below transition zone and maybe boost some of the small (hopefully) dips a little. In terms of what slope you target in the transition zone is up for debate, but Harman would say Harman hump in the bass. In terms of what's happening above transition you don't do anything if your speakers are perfectly Anechoic Flat, but if you know they're not Anechoic Flat up there then you apply Anechoic EQ up there based on measurements provided by Klippel (eg Amir & some others).

*look for the star, yes actually that part is not easy, as it takes time & experimentation, but that's all. Of course if you have subs then you time align them and cross them over, etc.....and I suppose perhaps some of that could be included in the standard if it was deemed if the crossover had to be below a certain point for instance.

But all-in-all, you don't have to blind me with links, it's not a complicated (or shouldn't be for knowledgeable individuals or professionals).
That's alright, Toole back in 2015 was pointing out that EQing for a single seat just based on frequency response is not the proper way to do it but hey if you can convince a whole panel of Standard approval that this simple method should be the standard, by all means.

"In professional audio outside of the movie-sound domain the traditional pink-noise/real-time analyzer (RTA) process of measuring steady-state amplitude response has been superseded."

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow, "A/B testing involving 147 000 individuals". And nothing is being done in the pro world in term of research...
This is not "research" and that statement is clearly misstated. What you are reading there is marketing collateral for their engineering to sell more product. A proper research paper would be completely different. It would for example demonstrate the qualifications of their "expert listeners" with respect to hearing acuity of frequency response errors much like Harman has done. And speaking of Harman, it would compare and contrast their results with theirs.

In addition I don't consider them part of the "Pro world" any more than I consider Genelec that. The use of the "pro world" here means people creating content, not the technology suppliers.

Back to that number, there is no way, no how, they brought in the equivalent of a major city worth of different individuals into their companies to rate headphone responses. What they must instead mean is that they have had that many listening sessions, likely with majority of listeners being the same set of people.

The also brag about how many comparisons they have done. As they say, "effort is not results." I have done thousands of AB tests of EQ profiles as I develop them for headphones and I have only been doing headphone testing for short while.

And is it just me who is annoyed by this kind of bio in a company write up?

"Written by

Helmuts Bems

Co-founder, CEO of Sonarworks. A serial entrepreneur with experience of taking companies from 0 to hero. Gifted with exceptional strategic planning, team building, and visionary skills. Previous experience in Venture Capital. Driven by big challenges in life, passionate about yoga and extreme sports like mountaineering and kite-surfing."

Why do I give a you know what that he is a "serial entrepreneur" or that he is self appointed "gifted" with this and that? Tell me what professional experience you have related to creating systems like this. Save that for your LinkedIn profile and pitch to venture capitalists.

Let me finish by saying that I did test their headphone profile a couple of years ago and I thought it was a major improvement over stock performance of that headphone. So clearly they are doing some right things but what you point out is nonsense as is that bio.

PeteL

Major Contributor
This is not "research" and that statement is clearly misstated. What you are reading there is marketing collateral for their engineering to sell more product. A proper research paper would be completely different. It would for example demonstrate the qualifications of their "expert listeners" with respect to hearing acuity of frequency response errors much like Harman has done. And speaking of Harman, it would compare and contrast their results with theirs.

In addition I don't consider them part of the "Pro world" any more than I consider Genelec that. The use of the "pro world" here means people creating content, not the technology suppliers.

Back to that number, there is no way, no how, they brought in the equivalent of a major city worth of different individuals into their companies to rate headphone responses. What they must instead mean is that they have had that many listening sessions, likely with majority of listeners being the same set of people.

The also brag about how many comparisons they have done. As they say, "effort is not results." I have done thousands of AB tests of EQ profiles as I develop them for headphones and I have only been doing headphone testing for short while.

And is it just me who is annoyed by this kind of bio in a company write up?

"Written by

Helmuts Bems

Co-founder, CEO of Sonarworks. A serial entrepreneur with experience of taking companies from 0 to hero. Gifted with exceptional strategic planning, team building, and visionary skills. Previous experience in Venture Capital. Driven by big challenges in life, passionate about yoga and extreme sports like mountaineering and kite-surfing."

Why do I give a you know what that he is a "serial entrepreneur" or that he is self appointed "gifted" with this and that? Tell me what professional experience you have related to creating systems like this. Save that for your LinkedIn profile and pitch to venture capitalists.

Let me finish by saying that I did test their headphone profile a couple of years ago and I thought it was a major improvement over stock performance of that headphone. So clearly they are doing some right things but what you point out is nonsense as is that bio.
Maybe, but you are asking for the industry to propose standards, they try to do that. May or may not be flawed, you seam to dismiss the whole thing. OK then. Still feels heavyly Biased you can't deny that. For me it's all the same industry, but if you are waiting for record producer guys to propose standards I mean come on Amir. They will adopt them they believe in science, but of course the researchers, the scientists will always be linked to the technology development sector, it's easy to understand as 1+1=2. Do you expect Floyd Toole to start making records?

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
You have provided no evidence of such. Do you have even one study that shows this? What did you improve upon? What was the baseline? How was that verified? Across how much content and how many listeners?

But you see we are back to denial. You think you don't have a problem.
Do you have any scientific studies that show bad mix rooms equal bad mixes? You keep spouting theory any facts?
My theory is that a great mixer can get a great mix in almost any room. How do we prove whos right? Not easy. Even listening to mixes by the same engineer in different rooms will tell you little about the rooms, it tells you about the engineer.
If we had a few engineers at different levels mix the same song in a few different rooms of different levels you might get an idea. Do you actually think you could hear which mixes where done in which rooms? I kinda doubt it. You have a better chance at sorting by engineer.

Last edited:

Travis

That is the argument we have been addressing. We see no logic in using a speaker with wrong frequency response for mix decisions. Whatever problems you specifically find there is unlikely to be reproducible in other speakers the same way. The speakers you list are all broken in different ways than NS10. Here is Bob Katz, one of the most famous mastering engineers out there as quoted by Dr. Toole in his book:
View attachment 305679
Part 1

Bob Katz can hear everything, and also measure everything. He patented his K System, stereo and surround.

Bob Katz wrote the Bible of Mastering, which Dr. Toole is referencing, Mastering Audio: The Art and Science (now in its 3rd edition). The 3rd edition covers explicitly "the newest approaches to equalization, monitor response measurement and correction, the psychoacoustics of clipping, an extended discussion of restoration and noise reduction techniques, an extended set of listening examples, and an updated chapter on surround mastering including coverage of Pure Audio BluRay. (Emphasis added).

He has also written a book on how to Master HD for iTunes.

His K System is now, now also available as a plugin from Universal (also available as outboard equipment) here is the description:

"Background
The K-Stereo Ambience Recovery process uses elements of the Haas effect and other psychoacoustic principles to create a transparent, phase-accurate “ambience recovery” and stereo enhancement tool. This plug-in does not have a sound of its own; instead, it transparently enhances the existing ambience and early reflections of your source material — increasing the “third dimension” of the recorded sound. Add depth and imaging to the instruments and vocals on your stereo master, without adding artificial reverb or changing the ratio of center elements to side elements — thus providing a “do-no-harm” approach to finalizing the stereo image."

He is a Fellow of AES, a frequent presenter (AES videos on mastering on YouTube) and has tried to get some standardization on loudness (but utilizing his K-System). See attached paper he wrote about 25 years ago.

Next, Part 2 about his Studio.

Attachments

• 1692124720192.png
    1692124720192.png
    354.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Integrated_v0_5_(WP).pdf
    162.9 KB · Views: 45