• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 73 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 495 82.2%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
currently 42.49$

this seems obvious but - do I need a headphone amp for this, or just apple usb-c dongle is (more than) enough ?
the 0.5v hobbled EU Apple dongle is more than enough for me. Plenty of headroom for some EQ (Though if anything an EQ for these should reduce some peaks, not introduce them)

amadeuswus

Forum Donor

pagan84

Yesterday I went running, it was drizzling a bit and looks like I damaged my ZEROs.
Initially the left channel lost about 50-75% of volume, now it is 25-33%, stereo image is shifted right.
Watch out guys, looks like ZEROs are quite sensitive and don't like water.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yesterday I went running, it was drizzling a bit and looks like I damaged my ZEROs.
Initially the left channel lost about 50-75% of volume, now it is 25-33%, stereo image is shifted right.
That is quite an important consideration actually, quite a high chance that they can be exposed to rain given their mobile usage. I wonder if there are some manufacturers that give their IEM's IP ratings or something, or somekind of water resistant assurance. (I wonder if rain resistance could be tested in an IEM review, might be useful.)

markanini

Major Contributor
Have you tried exchanging the nozzle filters with the included spares?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I wonder if there are some manufacturers that give their IEM's IP ratings or something, or somekind of water resistant assurance. (I wonder if rain resistance could be tested in an IEM review, might be useful.)
Lots of TWS IEMs have IP ratings. Samsung, Bose, Sony, Beats, those kinds of brands.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
That is quite an important consideration actually, quite a high chance that they can be exposed to rain given their mobile usage. I wonder if there are some manufacturers that give their IEM's IP ratings or something, or somekind of water resistant assurance. (I wonder if rain resistance could be tested in an IEM review, might be useful.)
Most wireless IEMs have some form of rating listed.

IPX-ratings-explained-infographic.png

pagan84

Have you tried exchanging the nozzle filters with the included spares?
Not yet, will try to make them dry first.
The shell has a small hole, the air mush have been too humid for them (sweat + rain, all under the running cap).
There were no direct exposure via ear nozzles.

I left them in the office overnight (very dry air), looks like the balance is almost there :)

I never had any problems with my cheap running/gym headphones. As long as they are in ear and sealed even heavy rain can't do them any harm.

Anyway, ZERO:Red are on their way to me, just in case:)

Regards,M.

markanini

Major Contributor
Not yet, will try to make them dry first.
The shell has a small hole, the air mush have been too humid for them (sweat + rain, all under the running cap).
There were no direct exposure via ear nozzles.

I left them in the office overnight (very dry air), looks like the balance is almost there :)

I never had any problems with my cheap running/gym headphones. As long as they are in ear and sealed even heavy rain can't do them any harm.

Anyway, ZERO:Red are on their way to me, just in case:)

Regards,M.
Much of the internals are suspended in a thick layer of glue, so it would take a lot of moisture/condensation to affect them. Behind the metal grills in the nozzles is a fine mesh, part of the acoustic tuning. The mesh gets clogged over time, channel imbalance is usually the first sign, even if there's no visual difference.

Workout IEMs will have different perks and drawbacks regarding clogging resilience vs. acoustic tuning. But that's what the spare filters are for.

Either way, do share you impressions on the Red when you get them.

pagan84

Either way, do share you impressions on the Red when you get them.
I received them yesterday.
REDs have bigger hole in then shell than the standard (blue) Zeros.
Additional bass boost (resistor) can make some bad/flat mixes sound "fun", but for me that's far too much of coloration. I'm not gonna use it.

What can I say after one day?
ZEROs were crystal clear but I had an impression they inject the sound into my ear canal, there were no illusion that the sound comes from my surroundings. EQ or no EQ, doesn't matter.
With REDs I had that, had to check a few times if the headphones are plugged in and the music flows through them and not through external speakers lol.
So I would say the soundstage must be wider and deeper or they create better illusion of being in the mix. For example HD6XX does that, they drag me into the mix, everything sounds more realistic, ZEROs does not.

Example:
Elenor Rigby (2009 stereo mix) - 0:50 - 1:10 - on HD6XX and REDs I'm in the room with violins/cellos, on ZEROs not really.
(2021 mix has violins on left channel, they have destroyed the effect, lame)

All of that on Samsung S8 / my Dell laptop, no external DAC/amps, no EQ.

Will test more in the following days.

PS. I think that ZEROs are better balanced than HD6XX, they just don't sound 'realistic', they don't create those realistic illusions. Why? No idea.
PS2. I think I'll start to listen my music with Crossfeed ON, gives more lifelike/speakerlike presentation. Music is more in front of me and not 'in my head'.

fjhuerta

The Truthears replaced my AKG N5005. I tried to fool myself into thinking the 5005s were "technically" superior, etc. But their timbre is too artifical when compared directly to the Truthears.

They are that good.

holbob

Just got these. When I smile with them in I get more (boomy) bass. Yet another reason to be miserable :(

;)

Zeno

I received my Truthear Zero Reds yesterday. These are the first IEMs I have ever tried, and boy was I disappointed in finding out that my small ears do not play well with IEMs (or just with the Reds?).

My experience trying them on was exactly like Amir's at first, when he said all the bass that he was expecting was just not there. Then he tried on the next size (of plugs, I assume) and everything was right. I found no size worked for me. If I tried to just push the IEMs into my ear, I could hear the lower frequencies again but they did not sound very good--and I don't want to have to keep pushing.

I am thinking of returning them, but maybe I am overlooking something. So, I thought I'd ask whether it is common knowledge that IEMs are just not for some people. Or I am throwing in the towel too soon?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I received my Truthear Zero Reds yesterday. These are the first IEMs I have ever tried, and boy was I disappointed in finding out that my small ears do not play well with IEMs (or just with the Reds?).

My experience trying them on was exactly like Amir's at first, when he said all the bass that he was expecting was just not there. Then he tried on the next size (of plugs, I assume) and everything was right. I found no size worked for me. If I tried to just push the IEMs into my ear, I could hear the lower frequencies again but they did not sound very good--and I don't want to have to keep pushing.

I am thinking of returning them, but maybe I am overlooking something. So, I thought I'd ask whether it is common knowledge that IEMs are just not for some people. Or I am throwing in the towel too soon?
This model has wide nozzles that are not anatomic to some people. If the tips do not work for you, just return and get one with smaller nozzle.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Try the following insertion advice:
That's for the Truthear Crinacle X Zero, but same insertion advice applies for any IEM. You may already know about those insertion techniques, but thought I should mention it!

markanini

Major Contributor
Try the following insertion advice:
That's for the Truthear Crinacle X Zero, but same insertion advice applies for any IEM. You may already know about those insertion techniques, but thought I should mention it!
To me that technique compresses the tips so that I get bad treble.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To me that technique compresses the tips so that I get bad treble.
I think it's just an optimal way of getting the IEM into your ear without just forcing it in (so not sure how it would worsen tip compression), because it opens up your ear to allow you to insert it deeper and then when you close your mouth it seals up onto the IEM, that's how it felt when I tried it. It also felt like I could insert it deeper without creating increased air pressure which would otherwise be created by just pushing in the IEM with increased force when not using that technique (also felt like wax not being pushed in as far, less likely to go deaf due to wax being pushed deeper). But certainly that technique worked for me, I was new to IEM's but that technique from GaryH worked for me.

Last edited:

Jimmy

Same happens to me, I have pretty narrow ear canals, and I believe the nozzle's width is about 6mm, so it's a no go regarding comfort for me.

The most comfortable IEMs (TWS) that I've been able to find are Creative's Outlier Air V3 (no longer sold I believe, but their replacements are similar), but for my liking they have harsh treble, and I haven't been able to EQ them by ear with the incluided app to get rid of that characteristic without making them sound dark.

Any recommendations for relatively cheap good sounding IEMs with better comfort for people with smaller ear canals?, although Etymotics or double flange eartips may do the trick, anyway.

This model has wide nozzles that are not anatomic to some people. If the tips do not work for you, just return and get one with smaller nozzle.

Top Bottom