• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why are single drivers disliked to such an extent by most in this forum?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Tangband

Major Contributor
Many full range afficianados end up with some hf notch filtering etc.
I already have my 8340 as references - Im not gonna do a notch filter in the summers DIY , but real music gonna be my reference ( my wife is a flutist )

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I already have my 8340 as references - Im not gonna do a notch filter in the summers DIY , but real music gonna be my reference ( my wife is a flutist )
Well, good luck. My ears find massive treble peaks like that to be painful. YMMV...

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes , 2 ways are troubled because the crossover is in a sensitive area and the size difference between the bass and the tweeter are to big to be inaudible - This is easier to make good with a dsp 3-way speaker.
But the point is , a good fullrange driver dont have any crossover point in any sensitive area for the brain/ears.
This might be the one of two reasons it might have some qualitys that 2-way speaker lacks. The other advantage with a full range driver is that all the sound are coming from one spot, very audible If listening nearfield.
I agree but are we not just swapping one set of compromises for another? I would take a two way any day if it were that or the single driver since the foibles of the single driver bother me more. I accept there are people who would go the other way on that call though.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I don't dislike 'em at all.

These are probably my all-around favorites (which is not to say all around best).
Radio Shack 40-1354 5-1/4" twincone driver (modified by the addition of phase plugs to improve the treble a bit) in mass loaded folded, tapered quarter-wave tubes (pipes) designed by Bob Brines. No contouring, no filters.

(back before my hifi loft was full of junk from the other house)

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen several serious DIY efforts that used full range drivers as midranges. In that service, they did get a crossover.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I've seen several serious DIY efforts that used full range drivers as midranges. In that service, they did get a crossover.
As I have likely mentioned before, that "augmented fullrange" approach can be a good one ;) Electrovoice made some consumer loudspeakers so designed. I am (and, again, as I've mentioned here before) quite enamored of the pair of EV Esquires that I have. These are what the Klipsch Heresys could have been if Col. Klipsch didn't have unfortunate bad taste when it comes to MR horn designs (and/or drivers and/or XO designs). :cool:

PS I did add a little meat to my earlier post, too, FWIW. :)

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
i have actually studied sound engineering at university level and back then I remember the lecturer said such a driver does not exist that can do 20-20.

SoundLab makes large electrostatic loudspeakers that are uniformly driven across their entire membrane which can do 20 Hz to 20 kHz. While this is not what most people have in mind when they say "single full-range driver", arguably it IS a "single full-range driver". What looks like individual "cells" in the photo below is the frame; the diaphragm is one large sheet of very very thin Mylar (the gradation in the vertical heights of the "cells" arises from an innovative bass-extension technique):

soundlabs.jpg

that was over 20yrs ago but I doubt the technology has changed... be willing to see if such a driver exists, even if it does it fairly poorly

I have been a SoundLab dealer for over 20 years, and they date back to about 1978 as I recall. Ime they really do the full spectrum with exceptional radiation pattern uniformity. It was my analysis of their radiation pattern twenty-four years ago that led me to buy my first pair unseen and unheard.

i assume no crossover would be needed?

SoundLabs DO have a crossover but not for the usual reason. Their reason is, to keep the impedance curve manageable. The impedance curve of an electrostatic loudspeaker is generally capacitive (rather than inductive); in other words, the impedance decreases with increasing frequency. SoundLabs have a low-frequency transformer and a high frequency transformer, with a crossover in the 400 Hz ballpark as I recall, and the resulting two-hump impedance curve keeps the impedance within a range that real-world amplifiers can drive.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
SoundLab makes large electrostatic loudspeakers that are uniformly driven across their entire membrane which can do 20 Hz to 20 kHz. While this is not what most people have in mind when they say "single full-range driver", arguably it IS a "single full-range driver". What looks like individual "cells" in the photo below is the frame; the diaphragm is one large sheet of very very thin Mylar (the gradation in the vertical heights of the "cells" arises from an innovative bass-extension technique):

View attachment 287160

I have been a SoundLab dealer for over 20 years, and they date back to about 1978 as I recall. Ime they really do the full spectrum with exceptional radiation pattern uniformity. It was my analysis of their radiation pattern twenty-four years ago that led me to buy my first pair unseen and unheard.

SoundLabs DO have a crossover but not for the usual reason. Their reason is, to keep the impedance curve manageable. The impedance curve of an electrostatic loudspeaker is generally capacitive (rather than inductive); in other words, the impedance decreases with increasing frequency. SoundLabs have a low-frequency transformer and a high frequency transformer, with a crossover in the 400 Hz ballpark as I recall, and the resulting two-hump impedance curve keeps the impedance within a range that real-world amplifiers can drive.
I love the speaker wire routing. :D It all looks very real and practical. Those tube amps look formidable.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I love the speaker wire routing. :D It all looks very real and practical. Those tube amps look formidable.

I don't recall where that photo is from. Probably from an audio show. I would have pulled 'em further out into the room, toed 'em in a bit more, and NOT used absorptive panels behind them.

But yeah the speaker wire routing neatly avoids the issue of "cable lifters" altogether!

The tube amps are Atma-Sphere output transformerless (OTL) amps, which happen to be very happy with the capacitive load the SoundLabs present. The amplifier input cables are balanced, I THINK Atma-Sphere was the first to use fully balanced connections in home audio, so the pre-amplifier and source can be positioned relatively far away without any issues. They are along the left-hand wall, outside of our field of view.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't recall where that photo is from. Probably from an audio show. I would pulled 'em further out into the room, toed 'em in a bit more, and NOT used absorptive panels behind them.

But yeah the speaker wire routing neatly avoids the issue of "cable lifters" altogether!
I would love to know the tube amp manufacturer it looks like a powerful layout.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DIY builders seem to love these. I'm tempted, what am I missing?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The DIY builders seem to love these. I'm tempted, what am I missing?
The 100 dB scale on the frequency repose?

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I would love to know the tube amp manufacturer it looks like a powerful layout.

I edited my post while you were posting. Those are Atma-Sphere MA-1's (I'm a dealer).

Link to the current version.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I edited my post while you were posting. Those are Atma-Sphere MA-1's.
I had a feeling
I first saw Atma-Sphere in Vegas at the CES in the 90s I believe. They where immediately powerful in that walking into a wall of warmth in the hallway means anything. They where huge and had rowS of tubes.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am aware that these have a few issues, from IMD, to limited SPL capability, and beaming at higher frequencies, but are they so poor at these aspects that single driver sets are basically a pointless design to consider? Or is there something else about them that makes them such an unattractive option measurement wise?
The problem with a single driver is physics. You need a large piston for good bass response but a small one for good high frequency response. It’s not possible to have a ten octave range and have acceptable values throughout the range.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Producing bass with sufficient volume (i.e. SPL) is a function of driver surface area (itself a function of driver diameter) mulriplied by distance travelled. Sd times xMax. You can assist this with various pressure tricks (call them Helmholtz resonators, transmission lines, ports etc) but in the end you are bound by physics.

The larger the driver the more it will beam at high frequencies. Again, there are tricks you can apply here but you can't escape physics. You can't just shrink the driver and make it travel further, because it will become harder and harder to control the surface of the driver as well as the suspension in a linear manner. Making the parts stiffer for better low frequency control makes them harder to drive at high frequency and leads to unpleasant breakup at lower and lower frequencies. Making the motor stronger to drive the speaker further at low frequencies tends to add inductance, making the motor itself act as a low-pass filter. There are other ways in which electromechanical optimization for one end of the frequency band negatively impacts the other.

This is why full-range speakers usually have fairly small drivers and give up on attempting high volume output; you can compromise a lot on bass output and certain listeners with certain music and signal chains will not mind. You can also give up a pretty decent chunk of the upper octaves and it won't (again, given music content and signal chain) matter much. That doesn't make it a high fidelity setup.

I've seen larger single drivers used in open-baffle setups but those are a whole different matter and again not necessarily what a lot of people would consider high-fidelity.

E: dangit sarumbear

Top Bottom