• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Single Driver needs for different purposes

songOVERsound

2B7A04A6-AEF8-4B65-95ED-25BC8DDDBD5D.jpeg
This is going to be strange for most of you.

To put into simple terms, I’m looking for a set of speakers to take place of some like this

Those Laney speakers would do the job, but if I’m going to spend that money, I want the speakers to have use-age otherwise, too for audio work in general and listening. May as well be stereo. I will want these speakers to adapt to different needs like a “B” set of monitors for my studio

This is a trend in the guitar players world out there today. They call it FRFR: Full Range Flat Response.

Basically mic’d guitar speaker cabinet is turned into an impulse response, then played through “monitors” be that studio monitors, PA speakers, or these FRFR speakers, that are kind of a gimmick in my eye.

I will be using them to monitor guitar playing. Guitar speakers frequency response is as such (see picture of graph of Celestion V30 speaker)

Notice it drops off above 5K: the beaming issue is a bit different with electric guitar speakers :)

Whichever speakers I go with, they will have to be point source - either coaxial/dual concentric OR better to match a guitar speaker cab: single driver speaker. Needs to have good horizontal and vertical directivity.

Important: there can’t be any DSP unless the delay is under 1 ms

Speakers I’ve looked at so far

DMAX super cube 5: these would be great but the DSP is 7 ms

MOFI sourcepoint 10: these are probably the best option so far, as they have the physical aesthetic that is close to a guitar speaker, but they are too expensive also needing an amp.

GR-research LGK 2.1: these might work. Crossing over below 200 hz is acceptable. Getting 4 of these and making a wall of sound could be fun. However, I don’t know if I want to support this company based on the way they deal with cables. Expensive cables and extension cords are a red flag to me as I am an electrician and it goes against my ethics

Aura-tones and other cube speakers would be a last resort

I posted a similar thread on GS and they basically said I was crazy (I don’t disagree)

OP
S

songOVERsound

Alright,

Made thread there and also included Geithain RL906 as a contender

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The speaker you linked isn’t a single driver speaker. It a 12” woofer + 1” compression driver.

By that measure, any active speaker would do…

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The speaker you linked isn’t a single driver speaker. It a 12” woofer + 1” compression driver.

Yup. Not even coaxial:

Loaded with a pair of vertically spaced, custom-voiced 12" drivers and a 1" LaVoce Compression driver

OP
S

songOVERsound

I tried to make it less confusing by referring to the celestion V30 and actual guitar speakers, which is single driver. But most of my examples are not single driver, including the LGK 2.1

I suppose I could rephrase it to: good horizontal and vertical directivity and point source type of sound with no latency - no crossover in midrange is a bonus

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried to make it less confusing by referring to the celestion V30 and actual guitar speakers, which is single driver. But most of my examples are not single driver, including the LGK 2.1

I suppose I could rephrase it to: good horizontal and vertical directivity and point source type of sound with no latency - no crossover in midrange is a bonus
If that makes you happy. It's simply an audiophile myth. Some of the finest speakers made cross in the midrange. For example, the Salon2 at 575Hz.

OP
S

songOVERsound

If that makes you happy. It's simply an audiophile myth. Some of the finest speakers made cross in the midrange. For example, the Salon2 at 575Hz.

I can’t disagree with that :)

However, a bit out of my price range and I don’t know that it would have the point source type of characteristics, particularly vertical in that case.

Obviously I would take just one of those over anything else mentioned but that price is a bit up there

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can’t disagree with that :)

However, a bit out of my price range and I don’t know that it would have the point source type of characteristics, particularly vertical in that case.

Obviously I would take just one of those over anything else mentioned but that price is a bit up there
It was just an example that crossing in the midrange is perfectly doable.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
S

songOVERsound

Maybe I can display better examples through a graph rather than try to explain.

This graph demonstrates something that wouldn’t work because the vertical directivity is too narrow below 6k

Attachments

• DCBA40F0-3715-4D24-9AA0-2AE45A3C2334.png
    DCBA40F0-3715-4D24-9AA0-2AE45A3C2334.png
    736.8 KB · Views: 30
OP
S

songOVERsound

454130D4-A444-4265-8DB3-2F97226DA28F.png

This is the sourcepoint 10 and would work great, but a bit spendy and I’d need an amp

Notice the vertical dispersion

Genelec “the ones” would be great but I can’t have the latency

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah but the drivers are BMR $35 each buy two and mount them 90 degs of each other, maybe.

ChrisG

For what it's worth, I was providing sound for a show where the guitarist had brought a 1x12" "2000w" "FRFR" speaker. He had it positioned like a stage monitor, and I parked one of my monitors (older-model 350w 12" 2-way, powered by a Powersoft T304) next to it, which ended up with vocals, keys and bass running through it.

Throughout the show, he asked for more and more of his guitar out of my monitor. At the interval, he removed his speaker from the stage and just used mine. I asked if anything was wrong, and he just said that his speaker wasn't giving him enough output, and he was very happy with what he was getting out of mine.

It's not the only time I've noticed these FRFR speakers being seriously lacking in output, especially compared to the price, rated specs, etc.

My suggestion, then, would be to find a good active PA speaker with low latency. A few milliseconds is fine - remember, you've probably got 6-10ms of latency just from standing away from the speaker.

Chris

Top Bottom