• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA7 Plus Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 38 10.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 149 39.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 173 46.1%

• Total voters

laudio

Assuming that the Fosi and the Aiyima A07 (which I have) are using the same Ti Eval Board setup for the TPA 3255, this PA7 implementation is 14 dB quieter (85 uVolts vs. 17 uVolts, A-weighted).

The distortion spectra of both look inaudible, leaving hiss (which is more audible) the more significant spec. The A07 noise level is low enough for most desktop speakers, and the 75 watts is more than enough. The PA7 seems aimed at larger, more sensitive speakers that can use a quieter amplifier and another 5 dB of power.

Perhaps - yet the price point of the Topping is a high IMO for what you are getting. I didn't see hiss mentioned in the Fosi review either, so it's that really something to bring up? If the amp hissed then point it out.

I think my point on 5x price difference is relevant and ASR reviews tend to favor Topping no matter whay they do, and discount others that are better deals for a desktop class D TPA amp for what they are intended to do. The PA7 is not intended to be used in a rack setup with large speakers for instance. I certainly would not no matter what the bench measurements show. That's not the use case.

And in 6 months time there will be another Topping respin using same/similar 7 year TPA old class D technology.

Toku

Major Contributor
I was looking forward to comparing the measurement results of L7AudioLab in addition to the amirm measurement and verifying the variation in product quality.
I was also looking forward to the results of the measurements by both of them at PA7 this time.
However, L7AudioLab's HP has not been updated since January 6th, and the other day, the HP has finally become unavailable.
I don't know what happened to him, but HP's closure is disappointing.

Zek

Major Contributor
However, L7AudioLab's HP has not been updated since January 6th
The site is active again.

Toku

Major Contributor
The site is active again.
Thank you for teaching me. I am very happy for his return.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping no matter whay they do, and discount others that are better deals for a desktop class D TPA amp for what they are intended to do. The PA7 is not intended to be used in a rack setup with large speakers for instance. I certainly would not no matter what the bench measurements show. That's not the use case.
This is the same logic that lead to opamp rolling in headphone amps a couple of decades ago. What matters is the implementation more than the chip.

Topping was able to create a 102 dB SINAD amp while the A07 is 82 dB SINAD. Topping is 191 watts at 4 ohm load vs. 77 for the A07.

This PA7 Plus is able to perform more like a Hypex nc252mp amp despite using a TPA chipamp for its class D output stage. If it performs more like a $500 hypex then a $75 basic TPA implementation dont be surprised if the prices match.

It is just your opinion where you can and cant use this amp. Measurement wise, it is certainly more than good enough to drive high end setups (Revels, etc.).

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Can this amplifier be safely used bridged if I want even more power for a single speaker?

AzReciOn

Can this amplifier be safely used bridged if I want even more power for a single speaker?
The bridge connection is not stated on the website or in the manual - it is unlikely that anyone here today has any additional information (but I believe that the bridge is not provided - and there is no sense in two amplifiers for this purpose).

Personally, I look more at bi-amping with this amplifier and suggest using it for low frequencies (where its qualities will manifest themselves in full - and without its obvious disadvantages for medium-high and high frequencies, for which a much less powerful amplifier will be enough).

P.S. At least that's what PA7 is interesting to me personally.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
The bridge connection is not stated on the website or in the manual - it is unlikely that anyone here today has any additional information (but I believe that the bridge is not provided - and there is no sense in two amplifiers for this purpose).

Personally, I look more at bi-amping with this amplifier and suggest using it for low frequencies (where its qualities will manifest themselves in full - and without its obvious disadvantages for medium-high and high frequencies, for which a much less powerful amplifier will be enough).

P.S. At least that's what PA7 is interesting to me personally.

Yeah, there is no information I found about that configuration... I was thinking of using it for only one single (but rather power demanding) speaker though.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Yeah, there is no information I found about that configuration... I was thinking of using it for only one single (but rather power demanding) speaker though.
Someone earlier in the thread said that it's two internally bridged chips. I don't think you can bridge again.

laudio

This is the same logic that lead to opamp rolling in headphone amps a couple of decades ago. What matters is the implementation more than the chip.

Topping was able to create a 102 dB SINAD amp while the A07 is 82 dB SINAD. Topping is 191 watts at 4 ohm load vs. 77 for the A07.

This PA7 Plus is able to perform more like a Hypex nc252mp amp despite using a TPA chipamp for its class D output stage. If it performs more like a $500 hypex then a $75 basic TPA implementation dont be surprised if the prices match.

It is just your opinion where you can and cant use this amp. Measurement wise, it is certainly more than good enough to drive high end setups (Revels, etc.).
Not really and I was talking about the fosi and not the a07.

pma

Major Contributor
Perhaps - yet the price point of the Topping is a high IMO for what you are getting. I didn't see hiss mentioned in the Fosi review either, so it's that really something to bring up? If the amp hissed then point it out.

I think my point on 5x price difference is relevant and ASR reviews tend to favor Topping no matter whay they do, and discount others that are better deals for a desktop class D TPA amp for what they are intended to do. The PA7 is not intended to be used in a rack setup with large speakers for instance. I certainly would not no matter what the bench measurements show. That's not the use case.

And in 6 months time there will be another Topping respin using same/similar 7 year TPA old class D technology.
I agree with all your points. TPA3XYZ based designs are a poor choice no matter how good they can be made to measure with a resistor. Explained elsewhere.

Toku

Major Contributor
I can't find a concrete explanation anywhere for the differences other than the PA7 and PA7 Plus output power. Anyone know anything about this?

Schlippwhip68

Thanks for the review.

For a little more (~430 usd) I would definitely get an NC252MP based amp like the Nord below (link measurements from KJF). Better high frequency behavior, more power, internal power supply.

It would be nice if Nord would allow both RCA and XLR on the same entry level model...

Zek

Major Contributor
Anyone know anything about this?
According to the description, I would say that the PA7 version has only one power chip, and the PA7 Plus version has two such chips.

Toku

Major Contributor
According to the description, I would say that the PA7 version has only one power chip, and the PA7 Plus version has two such chips.
Thank you for providing the information.
If it is actually such a specification, Topping should clearly state it in HP's product description. I checked the description of the HP again, but there was no mention of anything.

TurtlePaul

Anyone guess what they did to get this performance? I would guess that internally there is a TPA per channel to make this fully balanced internally and after the output filter they are using the final signal to feed an opamp to form a composite amp and get the load invariance, high gain and high SINAD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom