• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pioneer releases new Elite flagship AVR VSX-LX805 with XLR inputs/outputs for front L/R channels

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The beast apparently weighs 47 pounds. Who is snapping one up for Amir to measure?:cool:
Elite-VSX-LX805_Hero_2000x2000.png

Elite-VSX-LX805-Internal-Componentry_900x650.png

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Looks like the Pioneer version of the Integra DRX-8.4 has been announced. Three fewer balanced outputs, no balanced inputs, and $200 cheaper.
Looks like maybe a balanced CD input?
Elite-VSX-LX805_Back_2000x2000.png

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Now we wait for analysis of the detail differences between the Integra and the Pioneer (with the Onkyo RZ70 expected shortly to add to the mix)

Core specs appear identical... so far the only difference is the loss of a couple of balanced subwoofer outputs?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kinda surprised they're continuing with the Pioneer branding in a way, but capitalizing on the Elite branding makes some sense. Somewhat surprised it's only class AB instead of a better D module based amp setup (even at additional cost).

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Kinda surprised they're continuing with the Pioneer branding in a way, but capitalizing on the Elite branding makes some sense. Somewhat surprised it's only class AB instead of a better D module based amp setup (even at additional cost).
The previous generation flagship ClassD amps, were rated at 120W - where the new flagship is rated at 150W.

Obviously there would be an efficiency advantage (power consumption) of the old ClassD versions.

I believe I saw the designers quoted as stating that they are looking at ClassD for future pioneers... it is worth noting that all the proposed model numbers that were rumoured over the last 2 years were VSX-LXx05... none of them were SC-LX...

So right now they have opted to design a single shared chassis across the 3 brands.

I doubt we will see Class-D coming back this year or next... but we can hope for a comeback in 2025 .... (SC-LX906?)

Personally I will welcome the return of the traditional Onkyo "Beast" AVR's - they could drive even my difficult (1.6ohm) speakers without stress... the current LX305/505/NR7100/RZ50 cannot do that. ( I have no idea if the previous generation Class D flagships had that ability, as I skipped that generation)

All the flagship PiOnkIo models from 2015 to 2019 used the previous Pioneer Class D chassis as their basis....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The previous generation flagship ClassD amps, were rated at 120W - where the new flagship is rated at 150W.

Obviously there would be an efficiency advantage (power consumption) of the old ClassD versions.

I believe I saw the designers quoted as stating that they are looking at ClassD for future pioneers... it is worth noting that all the proposed model numbers that were rumoured over the last 2 years were VSX-LXx05... none of them were SC-LX...

So right now they have opted to design a single shared chassis across the 3 brands.

I doubt we will see Class-D coming back this year or next... but we can hope for a comeback in 2025 .... (SC-LX906?)

Personally I will welcome the return of the traditional Onkyo "Beast" AVR's - they could drive even my difficult (1.6ohm) speakers without stress... the current LX305/505/NR7100/RZ50 cannot do that. ( I have no idea if the previous generation Class D flagships had that ability, as I skipped that generation)

All the flagship PiOnkIo models from 2015 to 2019 used the previous Pioneer Class D chassis as their basis....
I don't think many customers want to pay for beast avrs, tho and maybe the big boys are still working out cost effective designs of their own rather than try and do what Hypex/Purifi/ICE have done?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Then again there are modules capable of far more than that 120wpc. Depends on cost, fitting into the box, cost, etc....

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I don't think many customers want to pay for beast avrs, tho and maybe the big boys are still working out cost effective designs of their own rather than try and do what Hypex/Purifi/ICE have done?
Yep well the LX805 at US$3000 and DRX8.4 at US$3200 are substantially more than the LX505 and DRX5.4/RZ50 (circa double!)

Their weight is close to that of the "beasts of yore" - and yes, the price reflects it too.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Then again there are modules capable of far more than that 120wpc. Depends on cost, fitting into the box, cost, etc....
I had the impression from some of the comments, that the Pioneer lead engineer would be keen to do just that...

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Forum Donor
Good catch, somehow I missed that!
I don't care too much about an XLR input, but the XLR output is nice because my power amp only has XLR inputs on it. Now, with my Denon 4700, I have to use an RCA/XLR adapter on my cable.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i can understand xlr outputs... its a nice convenience for those with big power amps even though the distances dont really warrant balanced but that's a specious argument

xlr cd input is even less required in this day and age

i do get that they should have moved to digital all round already... i think class a/b in so many channels in such a dense package... why

dlaloum

Major Contributor
i think class a/b in so many channels in such a dense package... why
I think the decision may have been driven by many of the Onkyo "faithful" who really liked the big, high powered AVR's they had from the mid "aughties" to around 2015 - they put out ample power (140W rated, but 165W@8ohm stereo, measured), handled low impedance loads without major issues (even though not rated for them) - their amps were highly regarded for good reason, and they were ClassAB traditionalists.

I for one, had two generations of the flagship "beasts" - and such an AVR would probably cause me to simplify my system, put away my ClassD power amps, and just rely on the AVR alone.

So from the Onkyo and Integra side, it leverages a long lasting reputation for muscly class AB amps going back to the 1980's.

When Onkyo purchased Pioneer, they moved their flagship models over to use the Pioneer SC series chassis - ClassD. Now this, although excellent, was somewhat less powerful compared to their previous ClassAB offering - rated circa 120W... as opposed to the earlier flagships 140W - but I believe it also had less headroom - so peak output was much more constrained too.

They could in this generation, potentially re-engineer the Pioneer models for Class D, and re-release the SC series of course... But I think the dollars and cents kicked in, and they had to make some difficult decisions - Pioneer as the "Junior" brand lost out to the marketing advantages for Onkyo and Integra (that's just my thinking!)

I would hope to see the eventual release of a true Pio chassis... something that runs ClassD and perhaps even a switch mode power supply.... perhaps the SC-LX906 of 2025?

ArturoKiwi

i can understand xlr outputs... its a nice convenience for those with big power amps even though the distances dont really warrant balanced but that's a specious argument

xlr cd input is even less required in this day and age

i do get that they should have moved to digital all round already... i think class a/b in so many channels in such a dense package... why
XLR input could be used by an external dac

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think its stereo analog xlr in

if it was digital it would be a single socket aes/ebu connect... but i'm not a professional musician

ea666

I have to say I’ve truly missed my pioneer av amp. Having had the LX83 and the LX95 never really been 100% with the denon’s. Looks like I’m going to have explain to the mrs why my son has an av amp in his room

Joost80

I have to say I’ve truly missed my pioneer av amp. Having had the LX83 and the LX95 never really been 100% with the denon’s. Looks like I’m going to have explain to the mrs why my son has an av amp in his room
Pure out of interest. What was it that you missed about the Pioneers? I had a Denon 3805 way back, then Onkyo 905 and 906 and got a Pioneer LX85 and a LX59 next. Now on a Denon 4800H and got the feeling you described but then the other way around, so curious.

I must add that the remote of the LX85 was the best I ever used. Really missed that remote.

Top Bottom