• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Avantone Pro MixCube Monitor Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 169 83.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 15 7.4%

• Total voters

Hexspa

I have absolutely no problem with the bass response or the lack of baffle step compensation here. That is a sound I can adjust to if trying to listen critically in the midrange, but those resonant peaks are truly nasty. I don’t think my brain could ignore those no matter how hard I tried.
It may be due to my lack of training but I can't say I ever noticed them. If you look at my in-room measurement (using a Behringer ECM-8000), you'll see that especially with psychoacoustic smoothing, those peaks don't manifest at the listening position as starkly they do in the Klippel scan.

Hexspa

The point is that the mix should sound good everywhere. Big sub-bass sounds real impressive on a full range system but if those bass elements don't come through on a much more bass limited system they better not be that important.

Also - these were in widespread use in the 70s, so I'm really not sure quite what you're getting at.

Streaky is kind of a joke as MEs go, but most mastering houses that do good work that I've found tend to be using soffited ATC SCM110s or similar.
Absolutely fair and all I want to know is why, in metrical terms, are they using those speakers. Even if I could afford to buy them and even if the Klippel could measure them (can it measure soffit-mounted speakers?), we still need to irrefutably identify the 'translation elements' of these speakers then assign them a score. I'm sure, like me, many of you are sick to the gills of relying on 'well, such and such mastering house has X speaker and they do X records..." aka Toole's 'Circle of Confusion'. Am I understanding that concept correctly? Can we quantify 'translation' or are we forever doomed to find the strongest, most confident Alpha mixer to set the example just because they say so?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Absolutely fair and all I want to know is why, in metrical terms, are they using those speakers. Even if I could afford to buy them and even if the Klippel could measure them (can it measure soffit-mounted speakers?), we still need to irrefutably identify the 'translation elements' of these speakers then assign them a score. I'm sure, like me, many of you are sick to the gills of relying on 'well, such and such mastering house has X speaker and they do X records..." aka Toole's 'Circle of Confusion'. Am I understanding that concept correctly? Can we quantify 'translation' or are we forever doomed to find the strongest, most confident Alpha mixer to set the example just because they say so?
Generally speaking, good studio monitors tend to be flat within reason, reasonably full-range, with good dynamic capabilites, and if ported with well-designed ports with a minimum of long ringing (or at least with port tuning low enough that it's inoffensive).

Whether or not that meshes well with the Olive preference score is another story. There is much more emphasis on sound power and early reflections than is necessarily relevant in a heavily treated studio.

Hexspa

Looking at my in-room measurement, the range from 5-8kHz is isolated by a dip at 4.5kHz and a drop off above that. This is the range of vocal sibilants and having it 'segmented' like this is a unique characteristic. The speaker also peaks at 1kHz which is a sensitive point of our hearing according to equal-loudness contours. The 2.7kHz-centered resonance can also serve as a sort of 'icepick' to ensure this range is not too harsh in the mix by forcing compensatory reduction at that range (harshness is a subjectively bad quality in a mix). 2-3kHz is also 'isolated' which is another important vocal bandwidth for clarity and bringing 'forward' into the mix. The response from 80-325Hz is within +-2.5dB so that lines up with the linearity of other monitors.

I'm just making observations on my in room response. Maybe these are useful, maybe not. All I'm trying to do is guess at why these might help someone mix. Thank you for your patience.

JDS

I can’t speak for these avantone, but as for the original auratone which these are trying to get the market from,It’s hard to know why they became a standard, it just was, indeed they always purposely sounded like crap, but it was crap that the mixing engineer knew really well. Why would a studio buy that? simply because the other studio and the next one had them. And mixing engineers are freelancers, they are not tied to a specific studio. They work everywhere They just happened to know how a mix is “supposed” to sound in a mix cube.They will check if too much bass in their mix will cause the drivers to break up, they will check if the instruments is still all coming trough in crap systems. It’s not sufficient, they will go and listen trough, their car system, trough there laptop speakers, trough their phone, etc. but on the spot, in the studio, you would just periodically toggle in the shit box,to make sure your mix is still in check and is not only for people with a hifi system, that it will still work on most kitchen radios. But why this shit box and not an other shit box, only because it was expected from a studio to have a mix cube. Because it’s shit you are familiar with. Most of the time just one to check your mix in mono too.
This makes complete sense. And I understand the capitalist logic that pop music has to sell, which means making it attractive to the average person with crap equipment. But it also means that (at least to some degree) sound quality is tailored to the preferences of people who manifestly don't give a damn about sound quality.

Thats not the only reason I want most current popular music to get the hell off my lawn. But it's one of them.

abe_zydar

Can we quantify 'translation' or are we forever doomed to find the strongest, most confident Alpha mixer to set the example just because they say so?
I've wondered the same thing. Perhaps the industry will move to a standard at some point, but I fear even with a standard the final output could still sound "bad" in the hands of an amateur mixer. There's a real artistry to producing and mixing that I do think takes time to develop. I also think what the general public hears is different from what trained ears hear. According to Toole's Sound Reproduction, the general public has mediocre sound analytical ability and is biased towards sound reproduction. I take that as whatever the person prefers, is what they will consider "good" sound. So if we have someone that prefers hip hop, the mix engineer for a hip hop album will have a vastly different target than one for say a shoe gaze album. Perhaps there could be a flat "translation" target, but at the end of the day I think it's still the bias of the engineer and what the target audience has learned to hear.

My comment earlier in the thread was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I have mixed on these and I can say that switching between these and my main monitors does a couple of things:

1. Removes bias I develop towards the mix. Switching to a mono, crappy speaker highlights issues I may not have heard on my mains because I fell in "love" with the mix. When people say that these are a "magnifying glass", I wonder if it's a result of this effect rather than it being a truer representation.
2. Once I'm able to hear those things, I switch back to my mains to see what the real effect is and EQ from there. I think applying EQ when listening to these is a big mistake.

Hexspa

Generally speaking, good studio monitors tend to be flat within reason, reasonably full-range, with good dynamic capabilites, and if ported with well-designed ports with a minimum of long ringing (or at least with port tuning low enough that it's inoffensive).

Whether or not that meshes well with the Olive preference score is another story. There is much more emphasis on sound power and early reflections than is necessarily relevant in a heavily treated studio.
But is full range really unequivocally advantageous for mixing? For instance, the SCM25A is down 3dB at 60Hz. Surely this is insufficient for modern EDM and yet deadmau5 uses ATC monitors. Yet it's still more than the mixcubes or Auratone 5C. I hypothesize that the bandwidth, in and of itself, or even amplitude response magnitude (flatness, to a degree) is not as important for translation as one might initially assume. Personally, I would think it's sacrosanct but the ATC is +-3dB with a dip at 7kHz - worse than cheaper offerings by Neumann and Genelec yet almost holy in its status as a monitor with unparalleled 'translation' (whatever that means).

Time domain performance seems important to include port vs no port, step response, resonances, etc. I'm just not sure how those tie together in terms of weighting for a score or order of importance.

Yes, I think that early reflections are less of a factor given the nearfield placement not to mention the propensity for people to have reflection free zones established with acoustic absorbers (which I encourage and Toole acknowledges yet doesn't counter). Sound power is probably also less important, as you say, but I don't understand that metric as well as things like 'listening window' or directivity.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
I read that in forum posts but you don't get that impression from company advertising:

"That’s exactly what Mixcubes are built to do: save your sanity. Mixcubes are designed to be a perfect stereo matching pair of monitors to replicate the wide range of “bass-challenged” devices such as car stereos, TVs, clock radios, computers, Bluetooth devices, etc.

Avantone Mixcube Actives are a huge upgrade from the original 5C Sound Cubes; from a newly engineered cabinet, to a more smooth, open, and transparent driver — and now with an over-engineered power amplifier. The bass response has been extended ever so slightly as well, but the original character has been maintained.

Mixcube Actives: the monitor for the most demanding workflow. "

They imply they are bass shy not that they resonate and break up above 2 kHz. And I don't know what is "smooth, open and transparent" about it.
but for this thing, I do give it a pass for "not terrible", just that if it is indeed consistent unit to unit, I bet that awful FR is typical for a lot of consumer full range driver applications like those cheap BT speakers, phone speakers or those pc monitor built in etc..

Hexspa

I've wondered the same thing. Perhaps the industry will move to a standard at some point, but I fear even with a standard the final output could still sound "bad" in the hands of an amateur mixer. There's a real artistry to producing and mixing that I do think takes time to develop. I also think what the general public hears is different from what trained ears hear. According to Toole's Sound Reproduction, the general public has mediocre sound analytical ability and is biased towards sound reproduction. I take that as whatever the person prefers, is what they will consider "good" sound. So if we have someone that prefers hip hop, the mix engineer for a hip hop album will have a vastly different target than one for say a shoe gaze album. Perhaps there could be a flat "translation" target, but at the end of the day I think it's still the bias of the engineer and what the target audience has learned to hear.

My comment earlier in the thread was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I have mixed on these and I can say that switching between these and my main monitors does a couple of things:

1. Removes bias I develop towards the mix. Switching to a mono, crappy speaker highlights issues I may not have heard on my mains because I fell in "love" with the mix. When people say that these are a "magnifying glass", I wonder if it's a result of this effect rather than it being a truer representation.
2. Once I'm able to hear those things, I switch back to my mains to see what the real effect is and EQ from there. I think applying EQ when listening to these is a big mistake.
Good point: as a professional tool, even with a high 'translation score' (which, of course doesn't exist yet), an unskilled craftsperson is still going to produce a non-performant result. Still, it calls up the idea that old-school analog recordists have stated: they made the music sound that good in spite of the limitations like noise and distortion, not because of them. Do mixes made with the NS-10 translate because of or despite their characteristics? Both?

Mixing is unquestionably a skill that one is not born with. Like has been said, we mostly all hear the same thing - a congealed waveform - but the difference is how we can interpret it into isolated musical elements and technical aspects. Richard Moylan makes these distinctions in his book that I'm currently trying to read (it's very wordy).

Genres absolutely have their own technical and aesthetic requirements which comprise what makes a mix 'good'. That being a constant, the monitors and how their characteristics enable or hinder a mix engineer are apparently yet not totally quantified.

Switching monitors to something with a sufficiently unique sonic characteristic, particularly one that showcases the bandwidth from 400-6kHz seems to be a universally-established practice of value. Having identified this, the ATC people seem to say that the SCM25A, for example, is enough of a reference by itself. If you look at the axial response, it doesn't seem special. What else could be going on? Here are some measurements of it though I can't vouch for their accuracy.

Interesting that you don't EQ on the mixcube. I find EQing there preferable to stereo HS50 with sub (wideband, stereo). This doesn't go for 10-15khz or below 80Hz, of course.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok, I've crystalized my question:

We have a 'preference score' which is based on the objective assessment of a pool of listeners' preferences and their verifiable abilities (trained listeners listening to a single loudspeaker are more consistent in their subjective appraisal of a loudspeaker's quality than untrained listeners who are listening in stereo while knowing the brand, for example).
What I want to see is a 'translation score' which identifies the elements of loudspeaker performance which contribute most to this seemingly elusive quality of 'translation' when used in the near, mid and far field (NS-10-style, SCM25A-style, and soffit-mounted mains-style respectively).
Newell claims that mastering engineers that he knows often complain that the material coming out of small studios is poorly mixed. He places the blame for this on the poorer time domain response of popular near field monitors that are the music is being mixed on. In his book, he shows the “Acoustic Source Plots” of three different speakers. These plots show low frequency response delay in terms of how many meters behind the speakers low frequencies appear to be emanating. The NS10m and the 700L flush mounted main speakers are very similar, the ported near field monitor shows as much worse. He claims that “smearing” and other problems caused by poor time domain response is being overlooked in the quest to achieve supremely flat amplitude responce and extended low frequency response from small near field monitors.

AF89DDAF-866F-4E6A-A6C9-0B9C0765E78F.jpeg

Hexspa

but for this thing, I do give it a pass for "not terrible", just that if it is indeed consistent unit to unit, I bet that awful FR is typical for a lot of consumer full range driver applications like those cheap BT speakers, phone speakers or those pc monitor built in etc..
@tktran303 says:

The modern recording studio should be equipped with EarPods ( those white Apple earphones are probably the most popular earphone in C21), UE Boom (probably the most popular Bluetooth speaker), and a laptop or LCD TV. Because my bet is that cumulatively. These 3 devices account for a majority of how people are enjoying their music.

For all we know, having these three devices on hand will produce better 'translation', impracticality of running your mix through a laptop from a desktop or into a 32" panel display aside. Practicality does need to factor in somehow though.

Hexspa

Newell claims that mastering engineers that he knows often complain that the material coming out of small studios is poorly mixed. He places the blame for this on the poorer time domain response of popular near field monitors that are the music is being mixed on. In his book, he shows the “Acoustic Source Plots” of three different speakers. These plots show low frequency response delay in terms of how many meters behind the speakers low frequencies appear to be emanating. The NS10m and the 700L flush mounted main speakers are very similar, the ported near field monitor shows as much worse. He claims that “smearing” and other problems caused by poor time domain response is being overlooked in the quest to achieve supremely flat amplitude responce and extended low frequency response from small near field monitors.

View attachment 270933
If I could like this 10x, I would. My observations lead me to agree that amplitude response has been given outsized importance - likely due to it being the most widely understood and hence becoming a marketing 'weapon' - particularly in the bass. A similar mis-prioritization happens with DSP room correction: everyone [EDIT: not everyone, my mistake. 'Many' is more accurate'] is chasing the flattest SPL known to humanity while totally disregarding the time domain. Even then, in the range from 80Hz and below, many are using low-resolution smoothing which is against what Toole says is appropriate for bass frequency analysis. This fish swims up the chain so far as to colonize DSP analyzers which need the user to specifically enable a 'high resolution mode' for the bass range which improves frequency accuracy by compromising the time domain accuracy. In other words, the two are different and apparently not of equal importance and minimum-phase does not account for all of it.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please spare me the use of term “audiophool”. That’s a term of ridicule that I don’t wish to be associated with.

“Objective” and “bad” are words that don’t belong together, imo. Objective is “meets criteria or doesn’t. Pass/fail.” Subjective is your opinion which includes “bad and good”. These speakers exhibit qualities - some are useful and some are not. That said, there are so many “studio monitors” with little in the way of unifying their cost-to-performance qualities.

I’m getting tired and maybe my logic isn’t as clear as it could be. In the end, there’s not enough spinorama for nearfields and there’s even less consensus as to how much spin data applies to how a loudspeaker enables mix translation. By all means, for a complete account of this perspective, review the gearspace thread to which I linked in my first reply on page 2 or 3 in this review.

In many ways, I’m playing Devil’s Advocate here. At the end of the day, I want to spend my money on the monitors that help me achieve the best result. Is that a KH 420 with its exceptional amplitude linearity? The SCM25A with its unique 5dB dip at 7kHz? The Mixcube with its egregious resonances yet impeccable step response? Is it all really just subjective and Olive/Toole’s findings have zero bearing on near/midfield monitoring? Are Genelecs really “for broadcast” and Neumanns “for music”?

The debate is not settled! Let’s please avoid ridicule and jumping to conclusions. Yes, I’m guilty of these tendencies - Amir can attest - but, regardless, it’s antithetical to productive inquiry.
I'm certainly not involved in the music making business, but I think it's a crazy notion that mixes are improved by doing them on some rubbish speaker. I think there's much more logic associated with creating your music on a good measuring speaker - flat anechoic........I would think most speakers would vary randomly around flat anechoic, it might be the best average to use as a target during music creation. I really can't see the logic in creating music on a speaker that has many wild random frequency variations, as you wouldn't want to EQ out those issues into your created music, I think you'd end up making bad decisions re your music balance.

EDIT: to check you mixes on lesser ranged equipment you could just add various Low & High Passes to your flat anechoic speaker to emulate smaller sized speakers that don't have the low end or the high end.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Company advertising starts with: "The black Avantone Active MixCube Powered Full-Range Mini Reference Monitor is a professional studio reference monitor specifically tailored to produce the useful musical range of 90 Hz to 17 kHz."

Where's all those folks that handwave me away when I start talking about performance in the professional realm? Every single time I get into the topic they reiterate to me how fidelity doesn't matter beyond I/O, predictability, and customer service availability.

How on Earth can this be a reference anything?

Hexspa

I'm certainly not involved in the music making business, but I think it's a crazy notion that mixes are improved by doing them on some rubbish speaker. I think there's much more logic associated with creating your music on a good measuring speaker - flat anechoic........I would think most speakers would vary randomly around flat anechoic, it might be the best average to use as a target during music creation. I really can't see the logic in creating music on a speaker that has many wild random frequency variations, as you wouldn't want to EQ out those issues into your created music, I think you'd end up making bad decisions re your music balance.
I totally understand your point. It is pure logic: you want flat converters, a neutral room, but f****d up speakers? It sounds preposterous but I'm of the current understanding that it's merely counter-intuitive. It's impossible not to bring up the subjective claims that, "Flat responses are too gentle, I need X speaker because it helps me mix," which you can read a-plenty around the net - specifically in the gearspace thread that I posted assuming it hasn't been totally sanitized of even those statements in addition to mine.

Like you, I use subjective terms like 'good' and 'bad' and, in this case, 'rubbish' but I want to expand to the other hemisphere of my brain and include metrical descriptions like 'series of three comb filtering-like, hi-Q 10dB peak-to-peak deviations from 3-6kHz'. I can't argue against 'rubbish' other than to say your rubbish might be a mixer's best friend. Believe me, I'm as opinionated as you and often want to say highly offensive things and just stick to my guns but that's not why I'm here. I'm here because I want to upgrade from HS50 to something that helps me make tracks which exude the utmost in sonic ecstasy and currently believe that opinions alone are not the best guide.

Similar to the far-field graphs Amir puts up, this speaker is not listened to in a vacuum or purely anechoic space. Its raw Klippel-magic'ed response is not what you get even 1m away. This is just to say that its response in room is not as wild as it looks and I posted my measurement in support of this claim. Again, we have certain suspicions but no actual peer-reviewed theory as to why mixers prefer Objectively 'Flawed' Speaker A vs Objectively 'Better' Speaker B. I think it would be a tremendous boon to the pro audio community to know this information.

Hexspa

Where's all those folks that handwave me away when I start talking about performance in the professional realm? Every single time I get into the topic they reiterate to me how fidelity doesn't matter beyond I/O, predictability, and customer service availability.

How on Earth can this be a reference anything?
Excellent question - the same that I'm asking as well.

I'm going to bed but will definitely be back later since this is a very interesting topic to me. Hopefully the rest of you are getting something positive out of this. Thanks.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sorry, but this crappy monitor translation check was always wrong-headed. Don't care how common it became.

First off, various TV's, cars and table top radios were all bad in hundreds of different ways. Your mix translating on a Horror Tone in no way insured it would work well on other crappy speakers. My mix sounds good on one crappy speaker it will be fine on all the other ways of being crappy it should be obvious is flawed logic. What might have had some validity was checking mono, and on a reduced bandwidth speaker. So a really good speaker with roll offs on each end would do the trick. Many speakers back in the day likely had response rolling off below 200 hz and rolling off above 4000 hz or even dying quickly above that point. This business about transient goodness and all that is just a bunch of hooey. So if you wanted a secondary speaker maybe LS3/5a's and filtering both ends or some such.

Now the modern version, I'd say some coaxial KEF LS50's with a bit of filtering. OTOH, now you probably want it to work on ear buds. There are thousands of different ear buds and 90 % of them are all horrible in their own unique ways. Some have very unbalanced frequency response, but a lack of general bandwidth cannot be counted upon. It is a fools errand to think one reference bad speaker or earbud could be a good stand in for mix checks. It always was a fool's errand.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
In my experience, Auratones were used very sparingly, just for a few minutes. The mix was done on the main monitors and the nearfield speakers. Then a quick check that it didn't sound broken/weird on the Auratones. Sometimes they weren't used at all

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm is it possible in klippel to export the impulse response so all can hear how the master equipment for professionals sound with a IR loader ? :cool:. Because rumors tell that you are only a professional mastering engenier if you hear and check your song on avatone and yamaha NS 10. ;)

I find a better FR of this avatone. maybe somebody is broken on your version or it is too loud for this speaker. dont forget when you measure 1 speaker at 90 db on a real world stereo setup it is 96 db loud then. https://www.skippyweb.eu/2021/11/avantone-pro-mixcubes/

Top Bottom