• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which way is up? (Which way does a loudspeaker driver move?)

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
In a recent video by PS Audio/Paul, he mentions the sentiment that many probably share with him, that a loudspeaker driver works by compressing air as it moves outwards. This illustrates perfectly that you can work with loudspeakers for decades without ever understanding how a loudspeaker actually works. As we will see in a minute, there is rarefaction as the driver moves outwards, and compression as it moves inwards.

Let us first discuss why intuition tells us to agree with Paul. It could be that you think about sticking your hand out the car window and feeling the pressure pushing back on your hand, and so there effectively is 'positive' or forwards displacement with your hand to the air molecules resulting in a positive pressure. Or you might think about the driver moving outwards for a positive DC voltage from a battery, and that is what is tripping you up. Or maybe you are thinking about the pressure in an enclosure, not necessarily a loudspeaker but a bike pump, where you push the piston in a 'positive' direction and get a positive pressure. But we are talking about acoustics with wave propagation here, and not fluid flow. And how a driver behaves at DC is not how it behave above its characteristic frequency. And free field is different than an enclosure.

If we look at the pressure generated in free field from a flat piston in a baffle, we can calculate analytically calculate the pressure generated via the so-called First Rayleigh integral [Fourier Acoustics, E.G. Williams].
1678182393897.png

The pivotal point here is the sign on the righthand side. With w(Q) being the outwards displacement in a point Q on the piston, it is clearly seen that for a piston radiating into free space (mass-like impedance), this displacement is in anti-phase with p(P); the pressure in a measurement point P. This is really all we need to see. There, in general, is a 180 degree phase difference between the outwards displacement of a loudspeaker and the resulting pressure. Which of course means that when it moves outwards, defined as a positive displacement, we clearly get a negative pressure!

You can also show this with a lumped model, but here you need to be careful with how you map vector velocities to current directions. And it also needs the Raleigh integral or some other integral anyway, as the pressure is not found directly in the lumped circuit, only the velocity of the piston is there, and then you calculate from there.

So, simulation is probably the way to go, since here we can clearly see both the displacement and the pressure vary in 'real-time'. We should remember that we are looking steady-state, as we most often do when looking at loudspeakers, but I am working on an article where I show transient behavior of loudspeakers and bass ports, so hang tight. The simulation below was somewhat constructed, since you will actual see for more realistic enclosures that the sound field inside is not constant, but in general the following holds:

"When the driver moves outwards, it generates a negative(!) sound pressure on the exterior side (playing into an acoustic mass; Za=i*omega*f*acoustic mass), and an negative sound pressure also inside the enclosure (playing into an acoustic compliance; Za=1/(i*omega*f*acoustic compliance))".

And that is exactly what we see:

0.gif

Mic drop.

A major issue with learning from experience and not from the theory is that when you relate the acoustic pressure back to the voltage, both in principle complex values, you will see a certain phase relation between the two (I have discussed that in detail in my video on Loudspeaker Phase), but you don't see the phase related to the displacement. And since you don't consider the solid mechanics, you are skipping both the transductance from EM to Mech, and from Mech to Acou, thinking (wrongly) that the driver moves outwards for a positive voltage phasor, and thinking (wrongly) that this outward movement creates a positive pressure. So two wrongs here make a right in some sense, and you can go about your day. But this can be detrimental in other products such a hearing aids, where you main concern is stability, and since you have microphones affected both by the hearing aid moving and the moving housing creating sound, if you don't understand the transductance, you can make a problem much worse than it was before with your design changes.

Now, we should of course move on to more details, such as the transient behavior; what is more exactly the radiation impedance; what happens just behind the dust cap vs behind the surround; what is going on in the enclosure and on and on. But the basics has to be understood before moving on, and the right way to think about the function of a loudspeaker for an elevator pitch, is exactly the opposite of what Paul and so many others believe. Also remember that we can decompose any relevant signal into sinousoids that are steady-state in their very nature, so the above animation pretty much shows us what we need to know.

Let me know if you have a topic with acoustics or signal processing that you just cannot wrap your head around, and let us deal with it.

René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS

Last edited:

ebslo

Forum Donor
Thanks for the analysis and I love the visualization.
Which of course means that when it moves outwards, defined as a positive displacement, we clearly get a negative pressure!

"When the driver moves outwards, it generates a negative(!) sound pressure on the exterior side (playing into an acoustic mass; Za=i*omega*f*acoustic mass), and an negative sound pressure also inside the enclosure (playing into an acoustic compliance; Za=1/(i*omega*f*acoustic compliance))".
But I find these sentences a bit confusing. It's difficult for me to read this without interpreting "moves outward" as velocity, which I don't think is what you mean. Am I way off base, or does the equation show that pressure is in phase with driver acceleration, and the pressure minima and maxima occur when the driver is stopped (ie. velocity = 0)?

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Thanks for the analysis and I love the visualization.

But I find these sentences a bit confusing. It's difficult for me to read this without interpreting "moves outward" as velocity, which I don't think is what you mean. Am I way off base, or does the equation show that pressure is in phase with driver acceleration, and the pressure minima and maxima occur when the driver is stopped (ie. velocity = 0)?
Yes. Positive displacement is outwards, and at it’s maximum value the velocity is zero. When the driver comes to a stop, the adjacent particles stop with it, but further out the particles still have an outward displacement so you get rarefaction. This is opposite of what many would intuitively say.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this different on the two sides of a panel speaker like an electrostat that is open on both sides? Or an open back conventional cone driver?

Does it depend upon the frequency since below a frequency related to panel size the output of the two sides start to cancel?

Reactions: TSB
OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
For anything open, assuming free field on either side, the pressure will still be driven by acceleration and not displacement. So at high frequencies the pressure will be anti phase with the displacement but since the displacement is negative seen from the other side the pressure on one side is in anti phase with the pressure at the other side. At low frequencies the overall spl will of course decrease then as there is a cancellation effect. If it is open on one side and there is an ear on the other side as for a headphone, then one needs to consider the impedance of the ear setup.
Is this different on the two sides of a panel speaker like an electrostat that is open on both sides? Or an open back conventional cone driver?

Does it depend upon the frequency since below a frequency related to panel size the output of the two sides start to cancel?

jackocleebrown

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi Rene,

I see you're making trouble again! ;)

What's the colour scale on your animation? With such as small closed volume behind the diaphragm I would expect much higher pressure in this region than in front of the driver.

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Hi Rene,

I see you're making trouble again! ;)

What's the colour scale on your animation? With such as small closed volume behind the diaphragm I would expect much higher pressure in this region than in front of the driver.
Hi Jack. Ah yes, you have a keen eye ;-) I have different color scaling on the two sides to illustrate the point better, since the phase is in question and not really the magnitude. Let us just imagine that the fluid is different in the enclosure :) Kudos.

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
for a piston radiating into free space (mass-like impedance), this displacement is in anti-phase with p(P); the pressure in a measurement point P
Maybe emphasise that you're talking about points very close to the driver here. Since this is a wave, the e^-ikR term is itself negative for half the distances (most obviously at distances where kR is an odd multiple of pi).

My knowledge of acoustics is very limited, but the intuitive explanation I came up with was that the radiator isn't pressurising the air particles, it's accelerating them. The accelerated particles flying away from the radiator will produce a region of rarefaction right next to it, and then a region of compression further out as the particles crash into relatively stationary particles further from the driver.

delta76

Major Contributor
I assume OT meant this video

Paul seems like a nice guy, and a lot of people praise him for "easy to understanding explanation", some even call him genius...
If I didn't know better, I'd trust him too

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
I assume OT meant this video

Paul seems like a nice guy, and a lot of people praise him for "easy to understanding explanation", some even call him genius...
If I didn't know better, I'd trust him too
He seems very cosy and nice, but his explanations are typically not very good. But yes, people like the explanations, probably because they don't involve any math. Many other company YouTubers have an equally bad understanding of the physics and maths, but very confidently talk about certain issues in a completely wrong manner.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very interesting.

If the op is for an article I think a bit more explanation of the physics would help. At the moment it basically just says, here is the equation (not all terms defined) and look at the minus sign. I confess that my first thought was, maybe the minus sign is an error, or a non-intuitive sign convention.

After a bit more thought, I agree that considering the acceleration of the piston is the key. At the most negative displacement (driver inside the cabinet) the piston (and the neighbouring air particles) experience the highest positive acceleration. It is this acceleration that compresses the air causing positive pressure.

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Very interesting.

If the op is for an article I think a bit more explanation of the physics would help. At the moment it basically just says, here is the equation (not all terms defined) and look at the minus sign. I confess that my first thought was, maybe the minus sign is an error, or a non-intuitive sign convention.

After a bit more thought, I agree that considering the acceleration of the piston is the key. At the most negative displacement (driver inside the cabinet) the piston (and the neighbouring air particles) experience the highest positive acceleration. It is this acceleration that compresses the air causing positive pressure.
An audioXpress article is in the works, but I have shown this in other forum posts and videos, and it really just takes opening up an acoustics textbook to see that what Pauls says cannot be true, and it is really a small basic thing, so the article needs to involve more topics, so basically a Misconceptions in Acoustics article.

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Maybe emphasise that you're talking about points very close to the driver here. Since this is a wave, the e^-ikR term is itself negative for half the distances (most obviously at distances where kR is an odd multiple of pi).

My knowledge of acoustics is very limited, but the intuitive explanation I came up with was that the radiator isn't pressurising the air particles, it's accelerating them. The accelerated particles flying away from the radiator will produce a region of rarefaction right next to it, and then a region of compression further out as the particles crash into relatively stationary particles further from the driver.
Well, that is not really too relevant, as the phase change coming from the propagation is always taken out anyway to not obscure the phase response. So it holds generally that the pressure phasor with that phase removed will be in anti-phase with displacement.

Hayabusa

Lets take a perfectly closed speaker in a perfectly closed room.
so clearly in this static case its: cone outwards gives more pressure in the room. and less pressure in the speaker box.
If I do this very slowly this will still hold..
But you are saying this changes at some frequency?
If so, what frequency?

KSTR

Major Contributor
Let me know if you have a topic with acoustics or signal processing that you just cannot wrap your head around, and let us deal with it.
How ported speakers (excited Helmholtz Resonators) really work, with regard to the port action. Many people think its the air volume (mass) in the port that governs resonance frequency, working on the box volume (spring) and thus it looks intuitive to make a wider port shorter to obtain the same resonance. In reality, you have to make it longer, though...

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
Lets take an perfectly closed speaker in a perfectly closed room.
so clearly in this static case its: cone outwards gives more pressure in the room. and less pressure in the speaker box.
If I do this very slowly this will still hold..
But you are saying this changes at some frequency?
If so, what frequency?
Yes, below the first non-zero eigenmode in the room we have what is sometimes called 'room gain'. Pressure is driven by displacement both inside and outside the enclosure (assuming no leakage in the room or the box), the two discrete pressures are in opposite phase, but each in-phase with their respective displacements. But going towards the first mode we have to consider the modal response, as the room can not be approximated via a compliance only. So it all fits together.

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
How ported speakers (excited Helmholtz Resonators) really work, with regard to the port action. Many people think its the air volume (mass) in the port that governs resonance frequency, working on the box volume (spring) and thus it looks intuitive to make a wider port shorter to obtain the same resonance. In reality, you have to make it longer, though...
A yes, the conversion from mechanical mass to acoustic mass is not obvious. Thanks. There is also something about the output from the port being delayed half of period or whatever people say that doesn't make sense, so I will cover that too.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Yes, below the first non-zero eigenmode in the room we have what is sometimes called 'room gain'. Pressure is driven by displacement both inside and outside the enclosure (assuming no leakage in the room or the box), the two discrete pressures are in opposite phase, but each in-phase with their respective displacements. But going towards the first mode we have to consider the modal response, as the room can not be approximated via a compliance only. So it all fits together.
And in the infinite room, free-field, resistive external air-load only?

Hayabusa

So when we have room gain (lets say < 80Hz) pressure is still in phase? How does a microphone measure this than?

OP
René - Acculution.com

René - Acculution.com

Technical Expert
And in the infinite room, free-field, resistive external air-load only?
Infinite tube would be rho*c impedance, and so would correlate with velocity. For certain transducers (compression) and waveguides that is relevant. So it all depends on the source and impedance. But what Paul and others talk about is always free field (or a room at higher frequencies), so if anything is to be stated in a short pitch about how a speaker works, it has to be opposite of what Paul says. In general, I would of course recommend showing more theory and different situations.

Top Bottom