• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

Overseas

Major Contributor
Yes, that's the only way I had it connected. Directly to my amp (Fezz Silver Luna).

Node was good, Wiim was good. No differences to my ears. At more than 3 time the price, the Node had to go back to the store.

We have good news. Wiim Pro can do significantly better by: optical out + good DAC (like Topping E50). But even analog out with internal DAC it sounds good enough. Enjoy.

Merifon

I just bought a Topping E50. I have no will power…

I can return it if I hear no differences. Which might happen.
Before any decision, arrange the set to switch instantly from one source to another. It's the only way to note subtle differences. Any time lost to stop, change and restart, will make useless the comparisons. Aural memory is very faible and cognitive biases are so strong. In that time, air pressure changed, earth ran thousands miles and even us aren't the same person... ;-)
Such pauses are what make me skeptical about whom hearing the sound of power cables or other funnies...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Before any decision, arrange the set to switch instantly from one source to another. It's the only way to note subtle differences. Any time lost to stop, change and restart, will make useless the comparisons. Aural memory is very faible and cognitive biases are so strong. In that time, air pressure changed, earth ran thousands miles and even us aren't the same person... ;-)
Such pauses are what make me skeptical about whom hearing the sound of power cables or other funnies...
Also make sure the outputs of the two devices are level matched accurately using a multimeter measureing the voltage.

Small differences which might not be percieved as a volume change will normally result in the one with slightly higher output sounding better.

Cecosan

Wiim Pro + Topping DX5 + McIntosh 2500 + McIntosh 275 + MBL116 = Music from heaven
Wiim Pro Ethernet cable
DX5 on Wiim App MQA Decoder and Renderer
Sreaming local music from old Samsung S10+ Perfect
Streaming Tidal MQA Perfect

Digital music for 500€. The difference to 20.000€ for wannabe Hi end goes to Bandcamp to support artists.

Amen

Beco

Is there a difference in sound quality between wiim pro or mini when you compare them with android box like Xiaomi mi box, both connected via optical to the amp and using tidal or deezer?

Cecosan

Yes, obvious. Bit perfect with Wiim, bit depth and sampling limitation with box or resampled.
Is there a difference in sound quality between wiim pro or mini when you compare them with android box like Xiaomi mi box, both connected via optical to the amp and using tidal or deezer?

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Now that it has been Reviwed here, I think now, we can all say used as most would do, Digitally to another DAC = Perfection

Now, lets the flames and trolls be damn. This thing sounds different with an excellent Linear Power supply, I have tested this with multiple people. Not telling them what is powering them. (Now 5 people pick it) To me, it's mostly the bottom end that seems quicker; start-stop, more control try it for yourself.

Lord had to edit: wasn't logged into plugin :(

Last edited:

Merifon

Now that it has been Reviwed here, I think now, we can all say used as most would do , Digitally to another DAC = Perfection

Now, lets the flames and trolls be damn. This thing sounds different with a nice Linear Power supply, I have tested this with multiple people and not telling them whats power it they (now 5 people pick it) To me, its mostly the bottom end seems quicker; start-stop, more control try it for your self.
If you are happy with it, go on... There are good switching power supply and even bad linear also but remember tests with too much time passed to change setup, are inherently unreliable…

Cecosan

If you are happy with it, go on... There are good switching power supply and even bad linear also but remember tests with too much time passed to change setup, are inherently unreliable…
I'm using iFI "Pure" switching supply with "DC Purifier" in between. Let's say firm bass as a consequence, but .... it is subjective or could be fix in my head effect.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Now that it has been Reviwed here, I think now, we can all say used as most would do, Digitally to another DAC = Perfection

Now, lets the flames and trolls be damn. This thing sounds different with an excellent Linear Power supply, I have tested this with multiple people and not telling them what power it they (now 5 people pick it) To me, it's mostly the bottom end that seems quicker; start-stop, more control try it for yourself.
I get you, I tried to make it as easy as possible. 2 Wiim, 2 optical out, and 1 Anthem 740. All you do is change the input, I'm the only one who knows which.

I'm definitely in the camp in the middle, the measurements are excellent, but people always forget preference. At the end of the day, I think most of us want to enjoy the music!

Last edited:

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So a different power supply will make it 'bit-more-perfect'?
Where's my wallet? :p

Veri

Master Contributor

Now, lets the flames and trolls be damn. This thing sounds different with an excellent Linear Power supply, I have tested this with multiple people. Not telling them what is powering them. (Now 5 people pick it) To me, it's mostly the bottom end that seems quicker; start-stop, more control try it for yourself.
I'm using iFI "Pure" switching supply with "DC Purifier" in between. Let's say firm bass as a consequence, but .... it is subjective or could be fix in my head effect.
It's funny because you say, digital transfer is perfection. These PSUs are just power, analog. Why would it "tighten/firm up" the bass? There's no reason for it. It's more likely this is in your head(s). https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-you-need-linear-power-supply-for-dacs.7021/

Top Bottom