• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

tuga

Major Contributor
So are those prices on the Mola Mola Kaluga for real? @tuga

Will they deliver to the USA?

You could contact them. Brexit has damaged exports badly so they may actually agree to deliver to the US. Not sure if it's worth the cost, would you have to pay import duty?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You could contact them. Brexit has damaged exports badly so they may actually agree to deliver to the US. Not sure if it's worth the cost, would you have to pay import duty?
Don't think so. I've purchased bike components without it, but that was prior to Brexit.

I'm wondering how something is priced at less than one tenth the price.

This review from last year says the price is $17,200 per pair.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Generalisations usually struggle to reflect reality.
True, it’s a stereotype, but one with many evidentiary samples. I don’t really like the term “audiophools”, which I could have used to limit the population.

tuga

Major Contributor
Don't think so. I've purchased bike components without it, but that was prior to Brexit.

I'm wondering how something is priced at one tenth the price.
Could they have missed a '0'?

tuga

Major Contributor

I'm wondering how something is priced at less than one tenth the price.

This review from last year says the price is $17,200 per pair.

They have messed up the pricing... :facepalm:

https://www.audioemotion.co.uk/mola-mola-kaluga-monoblock-amplifier-25610-p.asp

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Could they have missed a '0'?

Given that everything else on that site is much much higher priced - yes, I think they missed a zero! Might be interesting for someone to discover if they would honor that price.

ABH2 looks more bargain like if the "zero" is restored.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They have :facepalm:

Well with their 10% of the price difference price matching guarantee I can buy them for $59.90 each. An even better deal. Oh how I wish it would work that way. Does the Uk have laws about advertised pricing that companies have to honor? At that price, I'll buy 11 for an Atmos layout.

tuga

Major Contributor
Well with their 10% of the price difference price matching guarantee I can buy them for $59.90 each. An even better deal. Oh how I wish it would work that way. Does the Uk have laws about advertised pricing that companies have to honor? At that price, I'll buy 11 for an Atmos layout.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I have the impression that the term "audiophile" is often used in ASR as a pejorative term for a person who has this serious interest in music, with everything that goes with it.

Mtbf

BTW, one problem with Class D is that there are no ultra expensive amplifiers. High-end audiophiles like to buy expensive showcase products and none of those are class D (my own Mark Levinson amps being an exception).
CCF705A4-965D-4B23-8D2A-2E1EF834F1A7.jpeg

These would qualify, I suppose, AFAIK Hypex NCore based (NC1200).

Or, if that’s just a bit too much, take this integrated:
1B0549D9-F16E-4D7B-9665-31AD1277B3FD.jpeg

True audiojewelry, build from a single block of aluminium.

tuga

Major Contributor
I have the impression that the term "audiophile" is often used in ASR as a pejorative term for a person who has this serious interest in music, with everything that goes with it.
If you’re reading an audio forum you’re definitely an audiophile (someone who values sound quality).

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
View attachment 265532

These would qualify, I suppose, AFAIK Hypex NCore based (NC1200).

Or, if that’s just a bit too much, take this integrated:
View attachment 265541
True audiojewelry, build from a single block of aluminium.

Such material excesses are a result of CAD/CAM techniques, which have led to arbitrary shapes that are designed with ease on the computer. In my opinion, this has little to do with really good design. I didn't want it as a gift.

Edit:

P.S. From a designer's perspective, I would say. If something is decidedly overdimensioned, it is not correctly dimensioned.

Last edited:
I go by my experience on other forums. At one in particular which is a very long-standing forum, (shall I name it?), a very high proportion of members are against class D -- even though many have actually recently owned or tried class D in their systems.

The typical remark is that the "tone" of class D isn't right; it doesn't sound "natural" like live performance, especially the treble. In fact the "tone" deficit they refer to is easily explained by the lack of 2nd/3rd order distortion they are getting from their tube equipment or S/S such as Pass Labs. Some of them will admit this explanation, some will not.

But there are a few audiophiles whose tastes have evolved. I can think of one who was a stalwart of tubes for decades but is now loving his Benchmark preamp and power amp. Kudos to our member, @atmasphere, who was and is a maker of highly regarding tube equipment, who is now also making a class D amp of his own design and is, happily, selling lots of them.
And yet, if you go to a live performance almost anywhere the amplification will be Class D.

MrOtto

What they don't like is the price is to low for the given specs, also the size and weight is to low. They also don't like you can't pay for increased perfomance up to infinity. Some people thinks better performance always follows increasment of the price.

Galliardist

Major Contributor

JRS

Major Contributor
What they don't like is the price is to low for the given specs, also the size and weight is to low. They also don't like you can't pay for increased perfomance up to infinity. Some people thinks better performance always follows increasment of the price.
It's (audiophoolery) a perfect paradigm for trading some sacrifice to achieve a gain in performance--in this case a financial sacrifice vs say the time or effort required to play the piano or swing a golf club with great ability. It also affords exclusivity and all the joyous snobbery one can indulge. With this sort of mindset, one will always suffer a degradation of aesthetic satisfaction when a heretofore unavailable level of performance is achieved at a significangly lower price point, anc perhaps just as importantly without the effort of reading countless reviews, hours of auditioning and more hours discussing and debating the attributes of a particular approach or piece of kit.

I truly wonder if self flaggelation were shown to improve the sound of a component, how many would might try it.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's (audiophoolery) a perfect paradigm for trading some sacrifice to achieve a gain in performance--in this case a financial sacrifice vs say the time or effort required to play the piano or swing a golf club with great ability. It also affords exclusivity and all the joyous snobbery one can indulge. With this sort of mindset, one will always suffer a degradation of aesthetic satisfaction when a heretofore unavailable level of performance is achieved at a significangly lower price point, anc perhaps just as importantly without the effort of reading countless reviews, hours of auditioning and more hours discussing and debating the attributes of a particular approach or piece of kit.

I truly wonder if self flaggelation were shown to improve the sound of a component, how many would might try it.
Well, if handing over sums that could pay for college tuition or a small home for nothing is self-flagellation...

Reactions: JRS

tuga

Major Contributor

I also see a lot of people here wanting to trade their 'audibly' transparent perfectly 'adequate' gear for the latest better-measuring model even after they've claimed that everything sounds the same... :rolleyes:

Besides many audiophiles get their gratification from the journey, not the destination; this means experimenting new gear and reading reviews.
It's not my thing but there are many ways to pratice the hobby, different strokes for different folks and all that.
Live and let live.

This may very well be my corniest post to date. :p

JRS

Major Contributor
Well, if handing over sums that could pay for college tuition or a small home for nothing is self-flagellation...
Especially if it meant saccing your child's college education. No Princeton for you kiddo, I have to score me some Moolah-Moolah amps for the front channels. Heck nothing wrong with
Central State College....

Top Bottom