• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07 PRO

Wheely

Just hooked up my a07 pro. All I have at the moment for music etc is my old Samsung S6 phone with bluetooth. my aux output is broken so I cant test it. The amp seems to sound really good but it has no power. its quiet. it only gets somewhat loud at 3 o clock on the volume dial. this is of course with my volume on the phone cranked. Im not sure the voltage its getting yet as I have to test it but im using two 20 volt batteries in series to power it. its strange because the little 50x50 watt amp powered off one of these batteries goes very loud. any ideas?
By the way I have it hooked up with a 2.5x5.5 dc screw terminal. very clean. lots of power going into the back unlike some of these dc wires. they barely have 4 strands of copper in some of them. I verified with Aiyima if this is ok to set the amp up like this using a 40 volt battery and they said its fine. just that there would be lots of power. im only using a pair of those 40 watt b652 airs and it barely will make them move.

Attachments

• 20230216_214903.jpg
    20230216_214903.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
you dont say what speakers you have

if you have a pair of 77dB monstrosities like i have then yeah, weak amps run out

but i cannot imagine the A07 not powering average speakers to very high spl

so i say its faulty all things being equal

Wheely

you dont say what speakers you have

if you have a pair of 77dB monstrosities like i have then yeah, weak amps run out

but i cannot imagine the A07 not powering average speakers to very high spl

so i say its faulty all things being equal
I thought it might be the speakers. but the same speakers play loud on the little amp. they are just the little 40 watt Dayton Audio B652 AIR. My first thoughts were that the older device im using is just quiet with 5.2 bluetooth on the amp. sadly thats the only way I have to hook up to it. Im just going to have to test it with other phones. I guess im the first one test this amp with a 7 year old phone. This is the bluetooth version anyway: 4.1, A2DP, LE, aptX

Last edited:

Wheely

I just tried it with a newer iphone and Its the same thing. there is no power it seems with bluetooth. I have to crank it all the way to 4 or 5 o'clock on the dial almost back to 6 o clock to get significant volume, pretty disappointed altogether with the amp. sounds good but you can barely hear it. wheres the watts? I only have bluetooth so im screwed. Guess im just not a pro

SIMJEDI

I just tried it with a newer iphone and Its the same thing. there is no power it seems with bluetooth. I have to crank it all the way to 4 or 5 o'clock on the dial almost back to 6 o clock to get significant volume, pretty disappointed altogether with the amp. sounds good but you can barely hear it. wheres the watts? I only have bluetooth so im screwed. Guess im just not a pro
My MiniDSP Flex is the same way. I had to run Bluetooth through the analog outs of a FiiO BTA30 Pro into it to get the volumes I was looking for. I now have a double conversion but the volume is much louder.

Wheely

Its so annoying, nowhere did I read anything about bluetooth being useless. Just a bunch of people saying it "sounds as good as a wired connection", "powerful with my speakers". as far as im concerned the farthest you can turn the volume up is 3 o'clock. after that you hear static etc. at 3 oclock it is as loud as a normal conversation maybe, minimal decibels. Im only using featherweight 6-ohm 40 watt speakers and I can put the volume, & even the bass at essentially max & these cheap 40 watt speakers can handle it without really distorting. nowhere did I read that the amp sounds like it has 1/5 of the power it should when using bluetooth. im blown away at how useless this thing is. this is why I never buy anything. Everything on the market is garbage. thats all they will allow the peasants to own. pure garbage almost every last thing you consume these days. all of it overpriced too

Last edited:

conradj

With this amp, on BT i've only used it with a Teclast tablet and Amazon Music. i don't have a problem making that combo play loud, altho i don't often use it as my speakers need EQ and i don't have anything in the tablet to do that, plus the only codec the tablet has is SBC.

conradj

Hm. ok, i just tried something. Replaced the Topping DAC with the Aiyima DAC-A1, which has BT. In my system the DAC outputs to the A07 Pro. Then i connect the Teclast tablet BT to the DAC-A1 instead of the A07 Pro. BT does play louder thru the DAC-A1 than thru the A07 Pro.

i'm not sure that says anything since the DAC-A1 has its own volume control circuitry, but there you go.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Its so annoying, nowhere did I read anything about bluetooth being useless. Just a bunch of people saying it "sounds as good as a wired connection", "powerful with my speakers". as far as im concerned the farthest you can turn the volume up is 3 o'clock. after that you hear static etc. at 3 oclock it is as loud as a normal conversation maybe, minimal decibels. Im only using featherweight 6-ohm 40 watt speakers and I can put the volume, & even the bass at essentially max & these cheap 40 watt speakers can handle it without really distorting. nowhere did I read that the amp sounds like it has 1/5 of the power it should when using bluetooth. im blown away at how useless this thing is. this is why I never buy anything. Everything on the market is garbage. thats all they will allow the peasants to own. pure garbage almost every last thing you consume these days. all of it overpriced too
Not true! The Aiyima A07 is a great little product. And many others out there - no, they are not going to last 30 years like our old Sony, Marantz, Yamaha equipment, but they are good if you think of them having about a 10-year life. (Yes, the e-waste problem is not to be dismissed, but when I look at the lifespan of TVs, refrigerators, coffeepots, toaster ovens and cars, just to name a few, our little class D amp issues seem to be but a small part of that...)

I personally feel a separate BT adapter provides the best solution, BUT after a little weirdness at the beginning, my SMSL AO 100 has a very solid BT connection with my older iPhone. I put the volume on the phone to near max and get room-filling sound from the AO 100 at about -20 on the volume control. With the 6 ohm speakers I use with it presently, the unit has only about 45 wpc but that's still fine for a medium sized room.

The best "capture" I've had on the cheap side though is from my old stalwart, the Logitech BT receiver. If it's on, it WILL connect with your device...resistance is futile...it overrides everything else. If it's on when I pull in the driveway, just for instance, it will grab the connection from my car. I'm sure there is a newer gen Logitech product with some of the latest BT codecs available now.

Practical limitations exist. If you have low efficiency speakers or a larger room, a Hypex or Purify based amp is surely a better and more satisfying choice. I think problems arise when people push these smaller, cheaper amps to the absolute max of their power capabilities. They don't have cooling vents for the most part, and the capacitors are often very close to the chip's heatsink. Pushing to high output will degrade them faster - just makes sense.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

The 24V power supply is very small, so the A07 (Pro) has less than 70 watts, at 8 ohms only 55 watts. At 36V 9-10A would be better, which allows even higher performance than 48/5A. If I understand correctly is the Pro cooler than the A07 when idling? And at about the same volume does the Pro get warmer than the A07? Then you should check the newly installed OPAmps or use the original ones and check whether the Pro still gets that warm during operation.
I use 34V 10A... However with my SS3602 op-amps the Amp gets warm. Not the chip as much as the voltage regulators...The voltage regulators get much hotter than the chip. Remember that the thermal paste and it's ability to transfer heat is important. Also... Replacing the aluminum wafer for a copper wafer matters.

conradj

ok, so i got in a plain, non-Pro A07. It's not fully broken in, only abt 28hrs on it. Put OPA1656 op-amps into it as i did with my A07 Pro.

Ran them both using the same 48V 8.3A SMPS and the same DAC.

You know, i think the A07 Pro sounds better. Think that'll be so even after the A07's fully run in.

The A07 Pro's not got the parts in it to handle a 48V PSU as well as this new A07, which has 63V caps and a bigger heatsink.

conradj

And yeah, i like this 48V SMPS a lot. For certain it makes the music feel more dynamic, and i'm not sure but think it sounds cleaner as well.

This is with my 3 speakers per channel set up.

conradj

What else. The A07 Pro heatsink gets quite a bit warmer with the 48V SMPS. It's not as loud as the A07. Like the low bass better in the A07 Pro.

Now i have a reasonable idea what the A07 can sound like if i were to put in better quality, more audiophile components into it. High frequencies will be smoother with less harsh details. More of a piece with the middle frequencies. Singing voices will be better.

Going to continue running in the A07, see how much more it improves.

GIOCASS

What else. The A07 Pro heatsink gets quite a bit warmer with the 48V SMPS. It's not as loud as the A07. Like the low bass better in the A07 Pro.

Now i have a reasonable idea what the A07 can sound like if i were to put in better quality, more audiophile components into it. High frequencies will be smoother with less harsh details. More of a piece with the middle frequencies. Singing voices will be better.

My A07 Pro seems to work fine with good Bluetooth power output, but I need your advice. Since I too have the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2' do you think the OPA 1656 is a good option replacement. I remember you found them harsh in the beginning....or maybe a warmer OPA like 2134 ...

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

ok, so i got in a plain, non-Pro A07. It's not fully broken in, only abt 28hrs on it. Put OPA1656 op-amps into it as i did with my A07 Pro.

Ran them both using the same 48V 8.3A SMPS and the same DAC.

You know, i think the A07 Pro sounds better. Think that'll be so even after the A07's fully run in.

The A07 Pro's not got the parts in it to handle a 48V PSU as well as this new A07, which has 63V caps and a bigger heatsink.
That's why I put in the 63V cap into the pro, changed the heatsink's wafer from aluminum to copper and replaced the thermal grease with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut extreme with - 14,2 W/m*K thermal conductivity.

Putting heatsinks on the voltage regulators with thermal epoxy doesn't hurt either

Last edited:
OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Yeah, I love the A07 non pro. @trungdtmc shows us the components needed to make it truly shine. Better caps and inductors are what it needs. He shows those WIMA bits too in his video.

I don't quite agree that the Pro is quieter. It doesn't seem so in my system. Seems to be the same. I do agree about sounding better than the non pro though. My little rig has never sounded so good. Plus - I finally got he last set of silver plated coax in and now I have all the same interconnects going through the rig. I like it.

conradj

My A07 Pro seems to work fine with good Bluetooth power output, but I need your advice. Since I too have the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2' do you think the OPA 1656 is a good option replacement. I remember you found them harsh in the beginning....or maybe a warmer OPA like 2134 ...
... i like a warmer sound as well so can't claim the OPA1656 is the best one to try. Also i can't claim that my OPA1656 are genuine, seeing as i got them from an Aliexpress vendor. He does claim up and down that they are, and indeed they are high quality in being quite distinctly better sounding than the NE5532 that were in the amp.

i also tried all my op-amps in the Aiyima DAC-A1. That seems to be a good box for showing how different op-amps sound. It's seems designed to use the NE5532 and shows a lot of variation when other ones are plugged into it. Found the OPA1656 i have too much of a good thing in it. Louder, way too dynamic, too many high frequencies, too much bass, too much detail. The LM4562 less of too much, but still not exactly neutral.

The op-amps in the A07 Pro broke in fine and the speakers no longer sound harsh. It was just in the first few hours after first plugging the new op-amps in.

i still like the Fosi Audio BT30 Pro a lot. Haven't had it in 2 months and the impression lingers. It goes for that full and buttery sound, as far as you can get with a cheap amp. Might have to save up and get myself one. The PCB's all surface mount tho. Something to shoot for in messing with my amps.

conradj

Yeah, I love the A07 non pro. @trungdtmc shows us the components needed to make it truly shine. Better caps and inductors are what it needs. He shows those WIMA bits too in his video.

I don't quite agree that the Pro is quieter. It doesn't seem so in my system. Seems to be the same. I do agree about sounding better than the non pro though. My little rig has never sounded so good. Plus - I finally got he last set of silver plated coax in and now I have all the same interconnects going through the rig. I like it.
Yeah, the A07 sounds good at low volumes, but manifests some of that cheap amp cardboard sound when i crank it up. The A07 Pro behaves fine when i play it loud.

Will continue running it in and see what it's like after a week.

Guess i'll have to do as you did and mod the A07 Pro, to handle better the 48V SMPS.

--i used the two amps back to back with everything else the same including the track i was playing. When i replugged all the connections from the A07 to the A07 Pro i had to turn the DAC volume up to get the same sound volume. Not a huge difference, 3-5db prolly at the volume level i was playing stuff at.

Last edited:
Top Bottom