• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Not satisfied with performance of SVS 1000 Pro

OP
D

Diseasex

You better !! :mad:

:D

Peace.
upgraditis
Never so drugs kids never do audio :D

Do you think having different, higher model will impact sound negatively? Thinking of 2000 pro or higher

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
A second sub is certainly the way forward, and it does not have to be identical as long as it is also sealed rather than ported. Adding an SB2000Pro will give you deeper bass and more output, but whether you need that depends on what you play, and on the size of your room. I recently added an SB2000 (non pro, as per current special offer) as my third and largest sub in a large room, and I have to be careful to prevent the bass becoming overwhelming. You may want to consider adding two nonpro SB1000 subs. All the Pros have is a few digital filters that you can implement better in e.g. MSO with a miniDSP 2x4HD.
Therefore, I would also look into equalization.

OP
D

Diseasex

A second sub is certainly the way forward, and it does not have to be identical as long as it is also sealed rather than ported. Adding an SB2000Pro will give you deeper bass and more output, but whether you need that depends on what you play, and on the size of your room. I recently added an SB2000 (non pro, as per current special offer) as my third and largest sub in a large room, and I have to be careful to prevent the bass becoming overwhelming. You may want to consider adding two nonpro SB1000 subs. All they have is a few digital filters that you can implement better in e.g. MSO with a miniDSP 2x4HD.
Therefore, I would also look into equalization.
Yes I have minidsp flex (added that lately and made huge difference ) You gave me idea, I dont really need that app anymore so non-pro model is great idea as they are cheap - especially the 2000 non pro

Willem

Major Contributor
Not that I know. I bought my SB2000 for just 600 euros, which is a really good price here in Europe. In your case you could also consider two SB1000 subs. SVS give a 5% discount on dual subs. Room size matters, both for the space it takes in a room, but also for the power that you need and the extension that the room can handle.

OP
D

Diseasex

Room is 4.5x3.2 , listening space 2.3x 3.5 (half room sofa width)
Svs adviced 1000pro or 2000 pro

Willem

Major Contributor
That is a small room. Of course SVS would recommend the more expensive Pro version.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
HI Guys I pulled the trigger on SVS 1000 pro and trying to making it work with my system. I have experiemented with different positioning, finding most bassy place and measure there etc but I cant get the performance of 30-40hz to "flat out". I mean I'm reading science reviews where the performance in this area is great but not to my experience.
How can I make this woofer playing better?

I have set up crossover at 50hz as the response of my speakers is great at 50hz+ and drops sharply below that (focal diablo utopia). So I'm only interested in performance of 0-50hz from the woofer

This is alleged performance of this subwoofer made by audioholics :

and this is mine (measured in different places in the room:
index.php

Note 30-40hz drop. This is across the board with speakers, with different dacs, both digital and analog in different places

Is 30-40hz so terrible for this woofer or is it room playing regardless of positioning or am I reading it wrong and it's fine?
To me that looks like an entirely reasonable response curve for a single sub in a room with no EQ, DSP, or room treatment. A second sub + a dsp program (like Dirac, preferably DLBC) and/or room treatment (bass traps, etc.) is clearly called for.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

Managed to achieve this (dark blue with PEQ , light blue no PEQ)

the trick was no xover. For some reason when xover is adder there seems to be distortion between 100-300 and the chart looks way worse. Puzzled. But no xover that is

What gear are you using for bass management?

Daverz

Major Contributor
If it is possible in your listening space, locate the sub as close to your listening location as possible. For the lowest frequencies you are in the nearfield and this reduces the influence of the room. The sub should basically be right next to you for this to work well.

I assume that this requires a fairly low crossover frequency?

OP
D

Diseasex

minidsp flex. Good kit I recommend.

I assume that this requires a fairly low crossover frequency?

For some reason crossover at 50hz is giving me really ****** response
index.php

with crossover @ 50

index.php

without crossover

crossover seems to be overrated at least for my setup

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Diseasex copy-pasting/dragging images directly into posts doesn't work:
Screenshot_20230215-102806_Chrome.png
You have to 'Attach files' -> insert ->Thumbnail
Or use the image insert function in the toolbar above the text box.

Daverz

Major Contributor
HI Guys I pulled the trigger on SVS 1000 pro and trying to making it work with my system. I have experiemented with different positioning, finding most bassy place and measure there etc but I cant get the performance of 30-40hz to "flat out". I mean I'm reading science reviews where the performance in this area is great but not to my experience.
How can I make this woofer playing better?

I have set up crossover at 50hz as the response of my speakers is great at 50hz+ and drops sharply below that (focal diablo utopia). So I'm only interested in performance of 0-50hz from the woofer

This is alleged performance of this subwoofer made by audioholics :

and this is mine (measured in different places in the room:
index.php

Note 30-40hz drop. This is across the board with speakers, with different dacs, both digital and analog in different places

Is 30-40hz so terrible for this woofer or is it room playing regardless of positioning or am I reading it wrong and it's fine?

I also get a dip at around 31 Hz with a single SVS 1000 Pro. Hard to avoid in real rooms, I think.

The plot below shows my uncorrected room response (blue) and a test convolution of the correction created by Acourate (red) with no smoothing applied. (The scale is not in dB SPL. The relative differences are what matters.) In my experience, the test convolution is pretty accurate for the lower frequencies. The dip is still there, but the differences between the dips and peaks have been reduced.

svs1000p+buchardt-s400.jpg

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
None it's single simple PEQ (100 Hz, Q 1, - 8 dB) on sub path for correction between those two plots without crossover even and its untreated small room. It whose my idea based on measurements of SVS (both in room and from Audioholics) and Focal Diablo's/Spora room/chamber. SVS SB 1000 Pro already have implemented Linkwitz transformer.

OP
D

Diseasex

Kudos to @ZolaIII here, helped me tremendously to achieve this curve and it's just SOUNDGASM. And I mean it. I'm not leaving house, I stopped going to gym, I just listen and listen and listen it plays so good. Damn! Having goosebumps when listening was the goal and I'm there

I think the frequencies I enjoy the most are 100-200hz and thinking if second woofer would boost it

Mulling SVS 3000 or at least 2000

OP
D

Diseasex

None it's single simple PEQ (100 Hz, Q 1, - 8 dB) on sub path for correction between those two plots without crossover even and its untreated small room. It whose my idea based on measurements of SVS (both in room and from Audioholics) and Focal Diablo's/Spora room/chamber. SVS SB 1000 Pro already have implemented Linkwitz transformer.
Tell me one thing,
Would there be any sound quality difference between say 1000 pro and 2000 pro without cranking up volume? I understand the 2000 have stronger amp etc but would it sound any better (more goosebumps) aside from covering lower frequencies that I can’t hear probably ?
Thanks

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Diseasex I seriously doubt it would make a difference with volume matched.
What would is as you know acoustical treatment. You can now make REW room EQ and add it to Flex which will also help. Combining them together will of course produce best results. You should read to see how much what makes sense and helps the thread:

OP
D

Diseasex

It’s not a question if I should get second woofer (I am getting it). What I’m asking is if there would be any low volume advantage of getting 2000 pro vs 1000 pro for the small room I have. Are the drivers the same etc?

Im hunting room treatment and will collect it in following months, slowly

Last edited:
Top Bottom