• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

AudioKC

I see, I will ask Topping about that.

Not sure why they not designed devices with such capability, it’s obvious feature to use.

Got an answer.

They do not recommend using this DAC with any unbalanced setup.

Reactions: MCH

Hmast

Hi, I'm trying to make a 5.1 setup with Genelec The Ones SAM compatible.

I've seen the AES/EBU path is quite difficult for me (DANTE technology required) and I finally wish to select the analog path.
It looks like this DAC is able to feed a multichannel active-speakers system with really good quality.

However, when connected to the computer, how is the DAC handled by Windows, games and softwares? I mean, is there some kind of software to map each output to a specific channel of a 5.1 setup? Will then Games and movies be able to use each channel accordingly to a true Dolby/DTS multichannel output?

One last thing, what if I wish to route central channel to LR front speakers? As I will be using a 4.1 setup to begin with.
Based on the official web page it looks like 4.1 isn't supported: https://www.topping.audio/productinfo/862560.html

Thanks.

edit: I'm not sure if the GLM software by Genelec can help here (I own a GLM kit for info).

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
However, when connected to the computer, how is the DAC handled by Windows, games and softwares? I mean, is there some kind of software to map each output to a specific channel of a 5.1 setup? Will then Games and movies be able to use each channel accordingly to a true Dolby/DTS multichannel output?
There is no software in the DAC for this. However, it is not necessary if your sources play by the rules and send decoded PCM as they should. Remember, this is a DAC and not a processor.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First of all, you can always switch cables until your channels match your speaker locations.

But you can also use MPC-HC or ffdshow, and do pretty much what you want with audio:

audio_switchers2j1k.png
th.jpg

ffdshow in particular would allow you to quantize values (e.g. 50% of Center to the Front Left and 50% of Center to the Front Right).

Maybe there are other solutions, I don't know.

Hmast

This is wonderful thanks for this.
Movies et music will be fine, however what about games in 4.1 (without a center Chanel)? Will I be able to toute the center Chanel to the LR front speakers? I guess this is something that should be done at the OS level, maybe with a third party software…

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

AudioKC

I read all 66 pages last week.
I was wondering if it was a viable alternative to these
I talked to manufacturer, they said it’s possible that with these you might cook the DAC.

Not recommended

charlielaub

I'm copying the text from a post I made on DIYaudio about the DM7 and converting its balanced output to single-ended, since that seems to be of interest to some readers:

Assuming you want to roll your own solution there are some useful tips on using THAT 12xx series balanced line receivers in this article:
https://audioxpress.com/article/getting-the-most-from-that-s-balanced-line-drivers-and-receivers

Douglas Self has a nice review of how to use multiples of the 5532 in various ways to achieve a very low noise balanced receiver, but I think the THAT solution is much easier to use by a DIYer. There are even off-the shelf boards like this one:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14002
NOTE: as of this posting the board is currently out of stock at SparkFun but available through other distributors.

One advantage of using balanced interconnects is that you can locate the DAC near the computer and put the amps near the loudspeakers so that the speaker wires are short. The balanced line hum and noise rejection allows you to increase the flexibility of placement for these components, which is a plus in my book.

dartinbout

I read all 66 pages last week.
I was wondering if it was a viable alternative to these
Got high marks for reading retention did we?

For the elebenty-seventieth time, this DAC demands, insists, stipulates and is likely to render the foolish impotent, if they try to use the DM7 with anything other than an amp that accepts balanced inputs.

Last edited:

Hmast

You use software decoders. For example, you can use Media Player Classic in windows and it will decode everything. For music, Foobar will do it.
You may need to configure channels for ASIO...
But in Windows it is very easy and straightforward.
I don't how it works on other OS, but I imagine it is not much different.
For HTPC users, this is a wonderful product.
Now, if you could combine the two and get immersive formats like Atmos, that would be game changing...
Do you know if playing games on Windows with multichannel support will be finely decoded and routed with this DAC?

I actually plan to use a 7.1 setup with my PC with active speakers only. All I need is a USB DAC between my PC and the speakers and this DM7 looks great at first sight.
However this inability to decode DTS, Dolby Digital, etc. is blurring my vision.

So I do get that:
- playing films with Media Player Classic will decode and send uncompressed sound to the DAC
- playing sound in iTunes, Foobar or any music player on Windows will decode and send uncompressed sound to the DAC

But I'm not sure I get if:
- playing video games supporting spatial/surround/multichannel sound will be sent uncompressed to the DAC
- playing Netflix Dolby/E-AC3 content in Firefox or Chrome will be decoded and sent uncompressed sound to the DAC

Could anyone using that kind of setup confirm those use cases? :)

Cheers

juliangst

Got an answer.

They do not recommend using this DAC with any unbalanced setup.
This DAC is promoted as a surround sound solution so people are going to want to use it with a subwoofer.
Too bad that most subwoofers only come with RCA inputs (at least most subs below 2000€ with a few exceptions).

AudioKC

Atanasi

Forum Donor
This DAC is promoted as a surround sound solution so people are going to want to use it with a subwoofer.
Too bad that most subwoofers only come with RCA inputs (at least most subs below 2000€ with a few exceptions).
If it is just the subwoofer that is a problem, adding an audio transformer or a DI box can be used convert between unbalanced and balanced. It would add distortion though, so you would not benefit from DM7's clean signal. Transformers increase bass distortion in particular.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Could anyone using that kind of setup confirm those use cases? :)
None of this depends on the DAC which supports PCM and DSD, only. Whatever you use in software to feed it, as long as the output is PCM or DSD, it will work.

Hmast

None of this depends on the DAC which supports PCM and DSD, only. Whatever you use in software to feed it, as long as the output is PCM or DSD, it will work.
Well then my question is rather, do all the 4 use cases output PCM sound? I guess « yes » but I’m not 100% sure about that.

AudioKC

Top Bottom