• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

dfuller

Major Contributor
The truth is a flat frequency response with low distortion. ATC does not really seem to be dedicated to this. They seem to want to design speakers that are pleasant to listen to. That is entirely fine for pleasure listenting speakers. But there are monitor alternatives that are more dedicated to accuracy. Take a look at Amir's review of the Neumann KH150's for example.
Again: No.

ATCs are not as ruler flat as Neumanns, but they are flat enough. They do not bullshit on their spec sheets, and they are linear to +/- 2dB in the passband they quote. Mixes I do on ATCs make sense on my Neumanns.

Also - and this is really my only critique of the KH310s - they just don't get very loud. On real world material, their limit is about 85dB per pair, averaged. ATCs don't fall apart the same way. Try playing "Partition" by Beyonce on KH310s - you'll start to hear the bass driver complaining pretty quicklike. SCM25As... don't. Do they extend as low? No.

S&R has a review of them (posted somewhere in this thread, I'm not digging it up). The larger ones (50s and up) get insanely loud before they start to complain. That 115dB figure that @Avp1 quoted is accurate. It is stunning how much volume they can pump out.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
The truth is a flat frequency response with low distortion. ATC does not really seem to be dedicated to this. They seem to want to design speakers that are pleasant to listen to. That is entirely fine for pleasure listenting speakers. But there are monitor alternatives that are more dedicated to accuracy. Take a look at Amir's review of the Neumann KH150's for example.
There is no measurements of imd i would bet that audibly a 3 way is better especially in high spl with high cone excursion. Try an ab test with KH 310.

Audio Nostalgia

Hi All,

I’ve noticed that a handful of you have picked up on my review of the ATC SCM40A, previously mentioned in this thread. I’ve enjoyed reading your feedback quite a lot! ;)

There are couple of points I’d like to emphasise:
  • I either purchase all the speakers myself or I borrow them from friends. I’ve never been provided with any gear by manufactures, dealers, etc. I have also never received any financial incentive to review any gear.
  • Audio Nostalgia is a small hobbyist website, and I do speaker reviews because I enjoy sharing my experiences with others – I’m not planning to make a living out of it.

Feedback to your comments:

@dfuller, @YSC – I tend to agree with you; sighted reviews conducted in a non-controlled manner have very little value, and this is true for my reviews. I do them because I enjoy playing with speakers and I enjoy sharing my journey with others. I wouldn’t expect anyone sensible making purchasing decisions based on my writeups.

In terms of measurements, for some speakers I review, I run REW room measurements just to get an idea of what a particular set of speakers does in my room. I don’t usually publish these in my reviews, however, I’ve included couple of graphs that maybe of interest underneath this post.

I have some simple equipment to do gated measurements in my workshop, and that gives me a good approximation of the speaker anechoic frequency response above 300Hz. However, unless I’m really curious, I rarely can be bothered to carry the speakers to my workshop to conduct these measurements. I’ll leave this type of work to people with much more sophisticated equipment, such as Amir or Erin.

@Chrise36 , @goat76 – thank you for your kind words. I hope you don’t mind me saying that you seem to mainly pick on the points that match your perception of ATC speakers, and pay less attention to ones that do not. Is the confirmation bias creeping in?

ASR - ATC SCM40A.png

ASR - Harbeth M40.1.png

ASR - KEF LS60.png

ASR - Magnepan 1.7i + Dual Subs + Dirac.png

All the best,
Shem

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Shem nice to see you here, are speaker and microphone positions identical for all measurements, interesting that the 40s gave the only rising treble .
The Maggies that is with 2 subs and the Harman target, looks very horizontal?
Keith

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi All,

I’ve noticed that a handful of you have picked up on my review of the ATC SCM40A, previously mentioned in this thread. I’ve enjoyed reading your feedback quite a lot! ;)

• I either purchase all the speakers myself or I borrow them from friends. I’ve never been provided with any gear by manufactures, dealers, etc. I have also never received any financial incentive to review any gear.
  • Audio Nostalgia is a small hobbyist website, and I do speaker reviews because I enjoy sharing my experiences with others – I’m not planning to make a living out of it.

@dfuller, @YSC – I tend to agree with you; sighted reviews conducted in a non-controlled manner have very little value, and this is true for my reviews. I do them because I enjoy playing with speakers and I enjoy sharing my journey with others. I wouldn’t expect anyone sensible making purchasing decisions based on my writeups.

In terms of measurements, for some speakers I review, I run REW room measurements just to get an idea of what a particular set of speakers does in my room. I don’t usually publish these in my reviews, however, I’ve included couple of graphs that maybe of interest underneath this post.

I have some simple equipment to do gated measurements in my workshop, and that gives me a good approximation of the speaker anechoic frequency response above 300Hz. However, unless I’m really curious, I rarely can be bothered to carry the speakers to my workshop to conduct these measurements. I’ll leave this type of work to people with much more sophisticated equipment, such as Amir or Erin.

@Chrise36 , @goat76 – thank you for your kind words. I hope you don’t mind me saying that you seem to mainly pick on the points that match your perception of ATC speakers, and pay less attention to ones that do not. Is the confirmation bias creeping in?

View attachment 258722

View attachment 258723

View attachment 258724

View attachment 258725

All the best,
Shem
nice, Shem, this looked more interesting with the read together, from a very quick glance of the graphs, I would say that ignoring the magnepan with DIRAC treated graph it looks like:

The ATC in question is a bit more in room flat in the upper octave, less downward dipping trend, above ~2khz it's the only one with slightly upward trending FR which is not present in the other graphs, so potentially it's where the "lots of highs output" comes from, if not from nearfield that seems like not ideal, but maybe it's done so to compensate the directivty error so in normal room it sums up more pleasently, not sure about this is the fact or not.

The ~200, 300, 500hz dips looks like some kind of room reflection cancellation so I would ignore those, the Harbeth seems having a mid drivere which is more linear in the FR, KEF LS60 being having most dips and peaks, could be uniQ drawback or not. fun thing is it seems all having bass drop off around 30hz, was that just coincidence or was a sub used when doing the measurements? For DIRAC, can I ask are there any cutoff frequency that DIRAC don't do correction or you did full 20-20khz correction? if the latter I would guess you've been used to correct above schroeder frequency so when an untouched, not far from on axis neutral speaker comes in you would feel it more natural?

all just guessing, but reading the general trend of FR I did get some idea of how it would sound relative to others, quite good, but if it is consistent off axis or worth at the price point I wouldn't be sure

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Hi All,

View attachment 258722

View attachment 258723

View attachment 258724

View attachment 258725

All the best,
Shem
What is the axis of your measurements ATC states that the mid should be the axis of listening. Can you try this. Do you have with DIRAC on all speakers just for reference.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
The Magnepan without DIRAC has rising treble and lacks the kick of an electrodynamic speaker in midbass so not comparable.Also the ATC passive is effortless up to high spl levels not sure how loud you mean in your review.

goat76

Major Contributor

Hi Shem, I liked reading your review, good work! :)

I don't have any experience with the active version of the SCM40, just my passive ones. My speakers have no rise in the treble region, but they have an energy dip in the area from 2k to 7k which can be seen in a windowed measurement of the speakers when the room is taken out of the equation.
If the active version has a similar drop in the frequency response area, I guess it's possible some people with different rooms will hear that as a rise in the treble area, even if that higher region is flat.

But still, I leave it open that the active ones you had indeed had more energy in the upper frequencies, but as @Chrise36 mentioned, make sure your measurement is made at the height of the midrange element because that's the acoustic center of all three-way ATC speakers.

I guess the active and the passive version of this speaker should be similar enough so it's not about confirmation bias, it's just that I recognize most of the sound characteristics you mentioned in your review, well... except that treble-rise which my passive SCM40s doesn't have.

Audio Nostalgia

Hi All,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Here's some feedback:

@Purité Audio - yes, the microphone position was identical for all speakers (ear height, exactly at my listening position), and so was the tow-in of the speakers. The speakers were practically in the same locations - there might have been few cm difference between them, but pretty much within the same floor markings.

Maggies measurement appears to be horizontal but if you draw a trend line through it, there is approx. 6dB difference between the lows and highs, and this was my intention. I'm still experimenting with different Dirac target curves. The current one gives very balanced sound, but it lacks a little impact in the low frequencies.

@YSC - Yes, anything below 500Hz or so is predominantly the character of my room, but it is still interesting how different speakers in the pretty much same position load that room.

Other than the Magnepan measurement, no subs were used with any other measurements shared. Similar drop off in the low bass frequencies can definitely be attributed to the room gain, especially that all measurements were conducted with speakers being pretty much in the same position.

Yes, I've been using Dirac to correct the whole frequency spectrum, not just below 500Hz. Magnepans in my room are slightly too bright, so before I had access to MiniDSP I've been using them with 1Ohm resistor on the tweeter. After purchasing MiniDSP SHD I experimented with achieving same slope using Dirac. I've compared the two methods of reducing treble output and I could not really hear any difference between them. As such, my thinking was that if I am using Dirac to correct the bass, I may as well use it to do the full frequency range and not bother with the tweeter resistors.

@Chrise36 - When I do room measurements, I always place the mic in the same location (my ear height at my listening position). With ATCs being on the floor, that places the mic just below the tweeter, which is above the acoustic centre of the SCM40A. Just bear in mind that at the distance that I measure that worked out to be around 3.5°, so definitely within the claimed vertical dispersion of +/- 10°. Moreover, I've tried lowering the mic and playing with the speakers tilt, and the slight hump above 5kHz was still present.

I only run Dirac for speakers that form my system, so I don't have it for any other measurements I've shared - sorry. With Dirac, you can pretty much make the FR look however you want, so to make it comparable, I'd have to use exactly the same target curve for each speaker set, and that may not always be desirable. I've only shared the post-Dirac measurement of Maggies, to give you an idea of what frequency balance I'm used to from my main system. Comparing that to other measurements wouldn't be fair.

The Magnepan 1.7i measurement with subs and Dirac was provided for reference because this is my main setup. Midbass is around 40hz to 80Hz, and these frequencies are predominantly covered by active sealed subs in my setup. In my experience, Magnepans don't have as much attack as electrodynamic speakers in the upper bass to midrange, but as with a lot of things in HiFi, it's a compromise that I am willing to live with.

ATCs were played to around 93dBA at 2.5m distance with music material. They did not sound comfortable above that level. Overall, they did not give me an impression of effortless sound that I experienced with some other speakers. Just bear in mind, it's all subjective so my experience may be completely different to yours :).

@goat76 - thanks, it takes a lot of time to take half decent photos, and even more time to write your impressions! :)

It's interesting how lack or excess of different frequencies can be described in different ways. Are you able to share your gated measurements? Also, have you done any in-room measurements - it would be really interesting to see how they compare to mine.

And speaking of measurements, although I really enjoy learning and understanding what's going on, you need A LOT OF measurements to be able to draw conclusions about whether something is likely to sound good or not. Even with spinorama, you may be able to filter our really bad speakers, and have more confidence about which ones your are likely to appreciate, but that won't 100% guarantee that you will like something. I think it's a great guide and I wish all speaker manufacturers had access to Klippel and were publicly sharing their spinorama results. I think that with the academic research conducted in the past decades, we're definitely moving in the right direction. However, in my opinion, we're still long way away of having high degree of confidence that if something measures well we are going to like the sound, and vice versa.

All the best,
Shem

dfuller

Major Contributor
ATCs were played to around 93dBA at 2.5m distance with music material. They did not sound comfortable above that level. Overall, they did not give me an impression of effortless sound that I experienced with some other speakers. Just bear in mind, it's all subjective so my experience may be completely different to yours :).
To be fair, 93dB at 2.5m is a bit over 100dB at 1m - that's quite loud. That said in my experience sealed boxes that rely on more excursion seem to start complaining sooner - my KH310s start audibly complaining at about 85-90dB @ 2m if there's much sub low end and I don't have a sub crossed around 80hz. The similarly sized ATC SCM25As which are ported don't really care at that volume (though they don't go anywhere near as low), and the big boy SCM150ASLs and SCM200ASLs get uncomfortably loud without complaint.
And speaking of measurements, although I really enjoy learning and understanding what's going on, you need A LOT OF measurements to be able to draw conclusions about whether something is likely to sound good or not. Even with spinorama, you may be able to filter our really bad speakers, and have more confidence about which ones your are likely to appreciate, but that won't 100% guarantee that you will like something. I think it's a great guide and I wish all speaker manufacturers had access to Klippel and were publicly sharing their spinorama results. I think that with the academic research conducted in the past decades, we're definitely moving in the right direction. However, in my opinion, we're still long way away of having high degree of confidence that if something measures well we are going to like the sound, and vice versa.
100% agreed on this. Spins are a good start, but they certainly do not show everything. They lack any sort of dynamic information, there's precious little information about resonances or bass tuning, and the lack of splitting out of vertical and horizontal directivity behavior... well.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Klipple measurements show everything you mention, resonances, individual and cumulative bass and both vertical and horizontal dispersion.
Keith

dfuller

Major Contributor
The Klipple measurements show everything you mention, resonances, individual and cumulative bass and both vertical and horizontal dispersion.
Keith
Who said anything about NFS? I was talking about spins and spins alone.

There is a lot of information that NFS and other Klippel products can provide that is not shown in a spin.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly not for any of the newer ATCs.

Is there really nobody in the US using recent ATCs?
vJTxsaN.jpg

Please?

I should say that i have a pair of SCM40 on my radar and am looking for a nudge to get them.:p

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

goat76

Major Contributor
@goat76 - thanks, it takes a lot of time to take half decent photos, and even more time to write your impressions! :)

It's interesting how lack or excess of different frequencies can be described in different ways. Are you able to share your gated measurements? Also, have you done any in-room measurements - it would be really interesting to see how they compare to mine.

All the best,
Shem

This measurement is 500 Hz and up, there's no point in showing the rest of the frequency response because this measurement where made with the speaker placed in the middle of the room to keep it away from the walls. The reason for that was to get a window as big as possible to get a gated measurement window.

Here is the "in-room" measurement at 2 meters distance. No EQ applied.

Jan 17 500 Hz and up at 2 Meter distance Non-gated window.jpg

And here is the gated window (3.2 ms) to get rid of the room reflections.

file.php

And finally, this is the somewhat "ugly" response with the gated (3.2 ms) window applied. The same measurement as above at 2 meters, and without any EQ. :)

Jan 17 500 Hz and up at 2 Meter distance 3.2 ms Gated window.jpg

The reason I have done these measurements a few days ago is to get an idea of how the speakers will sound if I use EQ to get a flat response from 500 Hz and up, based on the gated measurements. But doing that makes them overly bright sounding, and at this point (work in progress), I would say they subjectively sound more like the in-room response without any EQ applied above 500 Hz.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Sadly not for any of the newer ATCs.

Is there really nobody in the US using recent ATCs?
View attachment 259136
Please?

I should say that i have a pair of SCM40 on my radar and am looking for a nudge to get them.:p
NOT THE PASSIVE 40S - PLEASE NOT THE PASSIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Coincidentally I took an active and a passive pair in p/ex at more or less the same time, I really didn’t think there was that much, if any difference switching back and forth, same drivers, same enclosure…
Keith

goat76

Major Contributor
NOT THE PASSIVE 40S - PLEASE NOT THE PASSIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like to know under what circumstances you have heard active vs passive SCM40s. Was it a demo with the intention to show how much better the active version is, and if so, was the passive 40s given an equally good amplifier, an equally good setup, and so on..?

I mean, I don't doubt some of the aspects of the active ones make them sound better than the passive version, But I find it hard to believe it's such a big difference as a "night and day" difference.

Last edited:

Avp1

I like to know under what circumstances you have heard active vs passive SCM40s. Was it a demo with the intention to show how much better the active version is, and if so, was the passive 40s given an equally good amplifier, an equally good setup, and so on..?

You can simply trust makers. According to ATC people their active speakers are always better. Follow their recommendation.

Top Bottom