• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 398 86.1%

• Total voters

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I recognize the font at the bottom... is that from an internal Hypex datasheet?

... looks the same as this published at Audioxpress, however I see no info about this being "buffer-less"?

20220421170022_Hypex-NCOREx-THD-vs-Power-1kHz-6kHz-4Ohm-Web.jpg

JSmith
It is, indeed, typo included ;)
1673860559539.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But I'm not so naïve as to read any class d 'datasheet' as anything other than painting their product in the best light possible for the ignorant, and glossing over the deficiencies.
Yeah, no other manufacturer has ever done that... :facepalm: Hypex and Purifi give you more information than basically any other manufacturer. I take what I can get. The rest will come from reviews like these.

Hypexsales

Audio Company
To all that are endlessly discussing on input gain and buffered or unbuffered settings. We agreed with Rick & Amir to do tests first on the unbuffered setting because comparible modules like our NC500 OEM and also the Purifi module are only unbuffered. A buffer needs to be added externally. So to compare apples with apples you need to do unbuffered tests as well. Our OEM modules are solely available for manufacturers that create finished products with these modules. A lot of these manufacturers like to add there own buffer to add some sort of own "signature" or sound stage or how you like to call you it. We believe it is usefull for manufacturers to know the performace of the power stage itself because any type of buffer will influance the performance massively. Even the best buffer stages will add noise. Period.

For DIY projects it will be very interesting to see the tests from Amir on our Nilai500 DIY module. I can tell you that Rick also has create a set for Amir to test. When this will come online is something maybe Amir can explain. ut it would not take long I guess.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I’m just sharing information on how to properly implement it. As well as accurate measurements results from a properly built amp.

You must feed the onboard HxR regulators with at least 1V higher power than 12v. When you regulate the power on the input board down to 12v prior to the HxR regulators, the modulator stage is not receiving enough power. Not only that you’re killing the dynamic load response of the HxR regulators, by choking out the dynamics with an inferior regulator.
Don't you think that declaring that you are a manufacturer intending to use these modules would make your life simpler? Unless you intend to continue this dance until you are ready...
IMHO lying on the data that you share and baseless criticism from others work is not a good start as a pro. But I am not he one who is gonna tell you how to run your business.

xaxxon

Fair enough - you appeared to be particularly knowledgable about the amp tested here, and also seemed to be defending it - hence my assumption.
hypex account has entered the chat... just a little bit later.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes i gave this the highest mark (great ) :) knowing it was not a finished product , and the actual amplifier i will get will have a third party input buffer .

This is a good component to built a product with .

xaxxon

The benchmark and Purifi reviews on here both included buffer-less measurements. Same with the Topping I believe. Low gain mode is buffer-less.
(sorry this comment is a bit stream-of-consciousness-ish)

the benchmark gain switch on low just bypasses the buffer you think?

(from manual here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/732208.pdf )

• Low-Gain = 22 dBu (9.8 Vrms)
• Mid-Gain = 14.2 dBu (4 Vrms)
• High-Gain = 8.2 dBu (2 Vrms)

ahh, yes I see:

Low Gain – The AHB2 has a low gain setting that optimizes the gain structure of professional monitoring systems. Maximum rated output is reached at an input signal level of 22 dBu. This places the upstream equipment in an ideal operating range to maximize the SNR of the monitoring chain. Most power amplifiers have far too much gain, and this degrades noise performance of the overall system. To provide compatibility with lower input signal levels, the AHB2 has an ultra low-noise input amplifier with a 3-prosition gain switch. The upper two settings boost the gain to allow direct interfacing with Hi-Fi components that typically operate at lower signal levels than those produced by professional components

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The benchmark and Purifi reviews on here both included buffer-less measurements. Same with the Topping I believe. Low gain mode is buffer-less.
I don't think we have a bufferless Purifi review? As for the LA90, it's a buffered amp, just low gain. In high gain mode (20dB) it still manages a 117 SINAD. Bufferless != low gain

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yes i gave this the highest mark (great ) :) knowing it was not a finished product , and the actual amplifier i will get will have a third party input buffer .

This is a good component to built a product with .
The integrated buffer in indeed quite good. I am not sure if there is an interest having an external buffer unless one wants additional functions like a settable gain.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I don't think we have a bufferless Purifi review? As for the LA90, it's a buffered amp, just low gain. In high gain mode (20dB) it still manages a 117 SINAD. Bufferless != low gain
The demo amp from Purifi and the Audiophonics have a buffer bypass jumper. I am sure that the demo was tested with buffer bypass.

xaxxon

Depends the amplifier. This is not the case for Benchmark and boXem amplifiers. This allows to keep a workable input impedance for the upstream component.
So it doesn't amplify in low setting it but makes it so the source can't "feel" what mode the amp is in?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
My issue is testing an OEM supplied building block product, DIY assembled into a box and then pinning it on the so-called "SINAD leaderboard" which is for commercially available and commercially sold products. No prototypes, kit-builds, or bodged-up pre-release circuit boards was the rule. What happened to that?

It's not fair to people like Boxem, March, Buckeye, Apollon etc who build gear we can buy, with (hopefully) realistic specs and usable sensitivity/gain.

If it's just a showcase of the latest Hypex module- test it and discuss it as such. Use disclaimers in the title and make it clear- it cannot be purchased as tested. And now we've got @Hypexsales trying to distort our discussion to suit their narrative.

Disappointing, and not a good look for ASR.

Hypexsales

Audio Company
I’m just sharing information on how to properly implement it. As well as accurate measurements results from a properly built amp.

You must feed the onboard HxR regulators with at least 1V higher power than +-12v. When you regulate the power on the input board down to +-12v prior to the HxR regulators, the modulator stage is not receiving enough power. Not only that you’re killing the dynamic load response of the HxR regulators, by choking out the dynamics with an inferior regulator.
the board we send to Rick for this build are indeed modified. So, we bypassed the 12V regulators and bufferstage.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The integrated buffer in indeed quite good. I am not sure if there is an interest having an external buffer unless one wants additional functions like a settable gain.
Oh if that's the case selectable gain is good and buffered low gain as you provide . and auto sense to power up the amp

But if the delivered buffer is good enough in high gain ? it's mostly about price vs features if one needs 27dB gain and nothing else some integrator will provide that .
And maybe your company will provide a custom buffer stage or not ? decisions decisions :)

Top Bottom