• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Willem

Major Contributor
Not a suck out, but a very gently downward sloping response and no brightness in the upper range. Look at Amir's measurements.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Friends,

Thinking to pair Elac DBR 62 with Marantz PM 8006 and it will be my first hi-fi

As far as the reviews read about Marantz is that they are warmer

Is DBR 62 warm or neutral speaker ?

How good will be this combination ?

Practically can't have audition of these in my place

Please give your input
I would not get that Marantz integrated amp.

Three reasons:
1) no room correction software.
2) no subwoofer output and crossover ability
3) not enough power.

Expanding
1) the biggest impact on sound quality after good speakers is room correction software to manage room modes and equalize your speakers.
2) the other top impact to sound quality is good low frequency response. You will need a subwoofer for that. And for that you need an integrated amp that has a subwoofer output and the ability to set a crossover point to send all the low frequency to your sub and free up you main speakers and amplifier from trying to handle those high power low frequency notes.
3) small speakers are inefficient and need more power. The elacs in particular dip down into 5 ohm territory and the marantz makes from ,70-100 watts depending on the resistance. Not enough for the low notes on this speaker.

Triliza

Forum Donor
I haven't setup mine properly, need to buy or make some stands for them, but from the first moment I listened to them if I could use one word to describe them, it would be 'smooth'. Sweet sound even in an untreated room, very well controlled. Doesn't sound bright at all in my ears. The mids sound a bit muffled at times as said above, hopefully with proper placement this will go away. I'd need to get a UMIK+REW at some point, and try to EQ them with Moode/CamillaDSP.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Elac speakers are on the warm side which is generally felt to be a good thing. Decent amplifiers such as this Marantz do not have a sonic personality - amplifier "sound" is one of these crackpot myths unless we are talking audiophool gear which this amplifier is not.
However, power can make a difference, and these speakers seem to like a bit of power (my son uses them to good effect with a 2x250 watt Yamaha p2500s). You could consider a 2x100 watt Yamaha AS701. It sells for less and has digital as well as analogue inputs.
What part of the measurement data that Amir generated would explain "warmth"? Is it a mid dip, or a bass bloom for example?

Willem

Major Contributor
I would think the gentle downward slope and the absence of a high frequency rise in response. Anyway, I think they are great speakers.

delta76

Major Contributor
The Elac speakers are on the warm side which is generally felt to be a good thing. Decent amplifiers such as this Marantz do not have a sonic personality - amplifier "sound" is one of these crackpot myths unless we are talking audiophool gear which this amplifier is not.
However, power can make a difference, and these speakers seem to like a bit of power (my son uses them to good effect with a 2x250 watt Yamaha p2500s). You could consider a 2x100 watt Yamaha AS701. It sells for less and has digital as well as analogue inputs.
except an amp can have distortions toward certain frequency and yes it could cause a speaker to sound "warmer" than another one. Of course I'd rather do that with EQ than finding an amp with certain distortions

What part of the measurement data that Amir generated would explain "warmth"? Is it a mid dip, or a bass bloom for example?

Willem

Major Contributor
except an amp can have distortions toward certain frequency and yes it could cause a speaker to sound "warmer" than another one.
True for audiophile amps like tubes but not true for properly designed solid state amplifiers.

Bernard23

Interesting. I've always considered HD to be the major contributor to what I perceive as warmth (partly from my experience of using valve guitar amps), rather than the FR; though a slightly elevated upper bass might also contribute.
Immediately you can see the problem. A lack of consistency or standard subjective description / adjectives for a particular set of device characteristics, but this is not new news.

delta76

Major Contributor
True for audiophile amps like tubes but not true for properly designed solid state amplifiers.
the keywords are "properly designed". I believe Marantz has HDAM which intentionally distorts the sound to give the "signature" warm sound.

Bernard23

except an amp can have distortions toward certain frequency and yes it could cause a speaker to sound "warmer" than another one. Of course I'd rather do that with EQ than finding an amp with certain distortions

I can't access it as I'd have to buy it, but my first thought would be, why would these authors be trusted to develop a standard? It's a largely rhetorical question, as they may well be suitably qualified, but in principle a standard has to be something that all stakeholders have the opportunity to contribute into, and be part of the final approval. If we learnt nothing from 737 Max, it's just that.
But, since this is just consumer audio, it's arguably not that important. The biggest risk is that consumers waste their money buying over priced products that don't actually work.

Willem

Major Contributor
As for amplifiers to use with these speakers, another one to conssider is the 2x125 watt Sonos Amp. It has a subwoofer output that can be configured for best result. This is an amplifier for modern use, i.e. focussed on the inbuilt streaming and TV sound. It does not have a proper cd input, so if you need that you have to connect a Bluray player to the TV. It does have a mediocre analogue input (which is how Amir tested it). I think it is a great design because it looks good, can be put in a cupboard, and has enough power for most users.
If you want to do more with dsp room eq, the best bet for a somewhat decent price is probably the very easy to use DSpeaker X2 DAC/preamp. It will equalize and integrate both main speakers and subwoofers, and will do so without any hassle. All it needs is a good power amp of which there are now many affordable options, including chip amplifiers and Hypex based ones.

delta76

Major Contributor
I can't access it as I'd have to buy it, but my first thought would be, why would these authors be trusted to develop a standard? It's a largely rhetorical question, as they may well be suitably qualified, but in principle a standard has to be something that all stakeholders have the opportunity to contribute into, and be part of the final approval. If we learnt nothing from 737 Max, it's just that.
But, since this is just consumer audio, it's arguably not that important. The biggest risk is that consumers waste their money buying over priced products that don't actually work.
it is free. you only have to provide an email I believe.
I tried to find the youtube link from EAC but couldn't. maybe someone has that bookmarked and can share

Bernard23

it is free. you only have to provide an email I believe.
I tried to find the youtube link from EAC but couldn't. maybe someone has that bookmarked and can share
OK I'll have another look later.

Bernard23

As for amplifiers to use with these speakers, another one to conssider is the 2x125 watt Sonos Amp. It has a subwoofer output that can be configured for best result. This is an amplifier for modern use, i.e. focussed on the inbuilt streaming and TV sound. It does not have a proper cd input, so if you need that you have to connect a Bluray player to the TV. It does have a mediocre analogue input (which is how Amir tested it). I think it is a great design because it looks good, can be put in a cupboard, and has enough power for most users.
If you want to do more with dsp room eq, the best bet for a somewhat decent price is probably the very easy to use DSpeaker X2 DAC/preamp. It will equalize and integrate both main speakers and subwoofers, and will do so without any hassle. All it needs is a good power amp of which there are now many affordable options, including chip amplifiers and Hypex based ones.
I'm using a Denon PMR-725R from the late 90s. 65W/8 and 100W/4 ohms according to the specs, cost £85. Another £20 and I added a used S1 sonos connect. I regularly listen up to 80-85dB in a large room, speakers are positioned in a 3.5m equilateral triangle. Amp doesn't seem to be struggling, plenty of punch and stays smooth, so not sure it needs anything too special to get it to work OK.

Willem

Major Contributor
Much depends on room size of course. When buying a new amp I would err on the side of safety/ample power if that does not cost an arm and a leg.

SimonSays

Hi all,

Completely new to this forum and would appreciate some help as I am trying learn. After a lot of research I went ahead and bought the Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 speakers.

I am now looking for an amplifier and I came across a used Pioneer VSX-924. Can anyone help me decipher if this would be a good amplifier to drive these speakers.

Some things I am interested in is
1. Strong and powerful enough to drive the speakers
2. Able to plug in a projector via HDMI (sound)
3. Ideally able to do some kind of room correction
4. Ideally able to do some kind of wifi streaming
5. Ideally some kind of EQ
6. Ideally able to plug in a sub

It seems this product has all of those except the wifi streaming which can be solved via a dongle. But I am primarily interested in point 1 - is this product good to drive these speakers?

Thanks in advance.

Bernard23

Much depends on room size of course. When buying a new amp I would err on the side of safety/ample power if that does not cost an arm and a leg.
Oh of course, you can't have too much power.

delta76

Major Contributor
A recent (10 years or less) AVR + a streamer would check all the boxes. I'm not sure VSX-924 is a good choice though. it's the "cheaper" line of Pioneer and they are not measured very well.

SimonSays

A recent (10 years or less) AVR + a streamer would check all the boxes. I'm not sure VSX-924 is a good choice though. it's the "cheaper" line of Pioneer and they are not measured very well.
Thank you so much for this. Any specific recommendations? I have been going crazy the last week in trying to find something suitable so some direction would be super helpful.

Top Bottom