• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
And finally 1% level:

1673031507073.png

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
This is a screenshot from Amazon WiiM Pro sales page. Is this indicating Apple Music Support or is this misleading information?

E9E5762B-40D9-4935-9773-F279C67A966F.jpeg

Does this work with Apple Music and if so, what is the maximum bitrate available?

Thank you for your help.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
This is a screenshot from Amazon WiiM Pro sales page. Is this indicating Apple Music Support or is this misleading information?

View attachment 255385

Does this work with Apple Music and if so, what is the maximum bitrate available?

Thank you for your help.
That page specifies Chromecast, which I assume Apple Music can use, along with AirPlay.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
That page specifies Chromecast, which I assume Apple Music can use, along with AirPlay.
Yeah, why I asked as it’s not entirely clear. This looks like a great Streamer and has lots of features I like. Was hoping it had some Apple Music lossless functionality. Thanks for the reply. The graphic is slightly misleading. I did notice that the Apple Music Thumbnail is absent from the WiiM Pro support page.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Has anyone experienced the following: all playing Summer of 69 on AMHD:
WiiM Mini plays at 24/96 from Wiim App and also when initiated by Alexa through an Echo device grouped with the WiiM.
With Pro plays at 24/96 from the App but only at 16/44 when initiated from the Echo.

Can’t see any setup differences that would explain it. Before I raise a ticket wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed something obvious.

In the latter case my DAC shows 44kHz while the WiiM App shows it is playing at 24/96

I have AM Ultra/ HD set to on for the device for Amazon Music and Alexa Settings
WiiM Mini doesn’t support lossless Amazon Music HD/UHD in an Alexa multi room music (MRM) group due to RAM limitations, but the Pro should. WiiM advise turning off the alexa HD/UHD setting when using MRM with a Mini, so it just plays lossy SD quality.

Also, you should note that when grouped with an echo (unless perhaps if it’s an echo studio), the best quality you’ll get even with a Pro is 16 bit HD due to Alexa’s MRM receive/distribute model which plays at the lowest common denominator of the devices in the group.

derek13

WiiM Mini doesn’t support lossless Amazon Music HD/UHD in an Alexa multi room music (MRM) group due to RAM limitations, but the Pro should. WiiM advise turning off the alexa HD/UHD setting when using MRM with a Mini, so it just plays lossy SD quality.

Also, you should note that when grouped with an echo (unless perhaps if it’s an echo studio), the best quality you’ll get even with a Pro is 16 bit HD due to Alexa’s MRM receive/distribute model which plays at the lowest common denominator of the devices in the group.
I’m not trying to use multiroom or play via Alexa units. I’m using a single Alexa device to voice control the WiiM. The two devices are in an Alexa Group and the output speaker for the Alexa device is specified to be the WiiM. This works with full AMHD resolution on the WiiM Mini but not on the Pro

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
I seldom bother with the echo’s speaker setting but set the device group’s speaker setting to be the desired audio device (which doesn’t even need to be in that group). That’s how I have my WiiM Pro selected and asking any echo in my living room group allows full 24/192 playback on the Pro.

Videopac

when I use 4 loudspeakers in the same room, driven by 2 Wiim Pros: how is ensured they will be in-sync?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm seriously considering getting a Wiim Pro. I'm growing very frustrated with the experience after trying to use a Bluesound Node (2021) for the last 6+ months, too unstable and not a huge fan of the app either.
I'm curious: what instabilities have you encountered using the Node?

yllanos

I'm curious: what instabilities have you encountered using the Node?

I set up my local library on my NAS device some months ago. Apart from the fact that for some reason, some albums won't load art (everything came from same source), it was fine.

But then a few weeks later, I had a drive failing. I replaced the drive and rebuilt the array. But from there, my experience degraded. My Node was suddenly not detectable on my network, couldn't play a thing. So I went ahead and reset it. A couple days later, it started to work but then again cut in the middle of playback after a couple hours. I rebooted it, and again undetectable. I did a manual reset + upgrade, still not working. I got frustrated and disconnected it, tried again a few days later and still no luck. Meanwhile all my networking devices are working flawlessly.

Besides that, I'm not a huge fan of the app. It lacks some features I prefer. I also own a Sonos AMP and I prefer that style way more. Also: I live in a place where power is unreliable, low quality and expensive: I prefer to turn off my gear if I'm not using it and I don't think this device is designed for that.

So I think I will give Wiim a try.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Any brave man around to plug-unplug the optical to the Pro like... 20 x times in like 30 seconds? If the port is still in one piece, I would like to order one.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Any brave man around to plug-unplug the optical to the Pro like... 20 x times in like 30 seconds? If the port is still in one piece, I would like to order one.
Why, are you in the habit of doing that 20 times in 30 seconds? Or 20 times in 30 days, weeks or months?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Why, are you in the habit of doing that 20 times in 30 seconds? Or 20 times in 30 days, weeks or months?
Did you try? Otherwise I am not interested. But looks like you are interested in my habits.

Top Bottom