• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
@Transpareo in systray bar should be a red T, that would be Thesycon applet you might want to use for this. Also, I guess Windows > Control Panel > Sounds could do the same...just give it a try.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
So it is safe to update again? :)
Yes, they have removed the virused file. The answer they got was in English for me, so I was OK with that.

However, let's all not forget the price we need to pay for this DAC, right? After all, it really measures awesome and probably that's what it counts most. The drivers are mostly for ASIO and DSD native playback, but we can also play DSD via jRiver or Foobar in a software "transcoding" mode without any audio loss (well, at least theoretically).

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Big LIKE, Roen!

14.90 EUR for a Khadas aluminium box is a steal. Even for a plastic case price is good, so...thanks for sharing.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
36 EUR for the case shipped to Canada. Ouch

21 EUR delivered in France.

Last edited:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
36 EUR for the case shipped to Canada. Ouch

21 EUR delivered in France.

40,40€ delivered to Denmark : ) then again there is costs start the car go to town for aluminium and then spend some free time hours into workshop, so to get over it ordered one in France yesterday (thanks @pos) which they shipped today and scheduled to arrive wednesday, and when at it they had some nice gold plated DIY USB-C 3.1 connectors asking 1,90€ a piece.

Fabrizio

Hi everybody, I'm interested in buying the TB but I don’t understand if the TB is capable of autoswitching (SPDIF<->USB) or not .

As far as I understand if the TB is connected to a PC then the SPDIF cannot be used, even if the PC is used only to power the TB and is not playing audio. Is this true? Do I have to disconnect the PC and connect a simple power adapter in order to use the SPDIF input? Thanks!

bequietjk

I've been using the TB with spdif input and powering it with usb power using my 5V cell phone charger or the usb bus power from my mobo, though, my topping D10 is comes before my TB in my audio chain and have the D10 selected as default audio device in windows. Perhaps someone can confirm your question... o.o

mahirzukic2

I've been using the TB with spdif input and powering it with usb power using my 5V cell phone charger or the usb bus power from my mobo, though, my topping D10 is comes before my TB in my audio chain and have the D10 selected as default audio device in windows. Perhaps someone can confirm your question... o.o
How about you confirm it by removing the Topping D10 and testing it out?

bequietjk

I dont have anything to test the spdif input with other than my pc utilizing the D10s spdif output.

bequietjk

When i get home i can try switching between d10 or tb in windows audio devices.

bequietjk

Hi everybody, I'm interested in buying the TB but I don’t understand if the TB is capable of autoswitching (SPDIF<->USB) or not .

As far as I understand if the TB is connected to a PC then the SPDIF cannot be used, even if the PC is used only to power the TB and is not playing audio. Is this true? Do I have to disconnect the PC and connect a simple power adapter in order to use the SPDIF input? Thanks!

TB is connected to pc for usb power and spdif input from D10. The TB isn't on the list for selectable audio devices so my guess is yes, the spdif input cancels out the usb audio input.

Fabrizio

TB is connected to pc for usb power and spdif input from D10. The TB isn't on the list for selectable audio devices so my guess is yes, the spdif input cancels out the usb audio input.

Many thanks, this is what I wanted to know!

mahirzukic2

You do realize how does this work? If you have for example a realtek integrated dac on motherboard and want to use the SPDIF from the realtek chip, you would connect the realtek spdif output port on the back of your PC to your Khadas Tone Board into the KTB SPDIF input, after this you may connect it to an AMP via RCA cables and then to your headphones via 1/4", 1/8" or even XLR connector.
Now in this whole chain you have to remember where did the chain start, or what was the source? In this imaginary case (not so imaginary because most people would use integrated realtek chip for SPDIF output) your starting point is the realtek digital SPDIF out and that is what you should select in windows or mac if you want to go that route. That would output the sound to the realtek SPDIF output port which has the whole chain of devices connected to it, which would in turn make your headphones play music. It would look like this:
Screenshot 2019-01-30 at 09.51.21.png

If you want to select the KTB as the sound output in windows, that means you will be using KTB in the USB mode (USB being used for both the data and power, whereas in SPDIF mode USB just provides power).

My personal case is that I will be running a SPDIF out from an Asus Xonar DX sound card, even though I have the realtek integrated chip.
The procedure would be the same. I would select the digital out on Asus Xonar in the sound panel in windows and connect the coax calbe to the KTB and connect the KTB to Atom via RCA cable and connnect my headphones (Denon D2000) via 1/4" connector.
Playing any sound or music via this setup would play it on the headphones. It would look like this:
Screenshot 2019-01-30 at 09.51.28.png

mahirzukic2

Also it makes sense for the KTB to disable the USB output if the coaxial cable is inserted into the KTB and in that case only provide power via USB.

Top Bottom