• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shunyata Factory Tour - and how do THESE claims hold up?

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you know how much inductance there is in a power cable? Do you know how small the lag would be at 50/60 Hz with that inductance? How do you thing that phase lag is going to impact the output of a power supply in an amp - never mind about the audio signal from it?
Don’t attack me. All I am saying is that Shunyata is acting as if cable inductance is a new discovery. I didn’t say it had any effect on audio gear, only that, if it did, it doesn’t require an expensive magic solution.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t attack me. All I am saying is that Shunyata is acting as if cable inductance is a new discovery. I didn’t say it had any effect on audio gear, only that, if it did, it doesn’t require an expensive magic solution.
Not intended as an attack but you seemed to be making an argument for low inductance. Sorry if i misunderstood.

the thought that inductance of a power cable is somehow relevant is ludicrous when you realise that the main thing it connects to is the primary of a transformer.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Current lags applied voltage in a power cable because of inductance. This is not new science. If our amps need low inductance power cables, they don’t cost a fortune to build and you don’t need a proprietary new test rig to measure them. Establish that a low inductance power cable results in better performance and all the amp builders will include one.
That is true, but the inductance in a living room length of power cord is simply too little to worry about. Since the current flows in opposite directions in two conductors that are in close proximity to each other in a power cord, the inductance tends to cancel out.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
jdbkntbl87k6.png

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
power cord sim
the inductance and .01R result is a 6ft 16gauge zip cord. the load is drawing about 120watts

Attachments

• Power cord comparison.png
    Power cord comparison.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
The power cord is only connected to the load when those red pulses happen. (and there usually much smaller and shorter because almost nobody at home is using 100 watts of continuous power.) So how does it make an audible difference when its not even connected 90% of the time. Now add at least 20 feet of unshielded house wiring to that power cord and how can it make any difference. Then you put a voltage reg across it!!!!

Last edited:

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That is true, but the inductance in a living room length of power cord is simply too little to worry about. Since the current flows in opposite directions in two conductors that are in close proximity to each other in a power cord, the inductance tends to cancel out.
There seems to be a reading problem. My post: “Establish that a low inductance power cable results in better performance and all the amp builders will include one.” I was issuing a challenge to Shunyata or anyone else to show that power cable inductance matters. I also was pointing out that the DTCD baloney is simply showing the inductance of the wire. Does a post have to contain outrage and sarcasm to be understood? If cable inductance was a problem we could just use cheap twisted pair cable and would have no need for Shunyata’s expensive magic.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There seems to be a reading problem. My post: “Establish that a low inductance power cable results in better performance and all the amp builders will include one.” I was issuing a challenge to Shunyata or anyone else to show that power cable inductance matters. I also was pointing out that the DTCD baloney is simply showing the inductance of the wire. Does a post have to contain outrage and sarcasm to be understood? If cable inductance was a problem we could just use cheap twisted pair cable and would have no need for Shunyata’s expensive magic.

I think your problem is you started with the sentence:
Current lags applied voltage in a power cable because of inductance.This is not new science.

Which, while technically correct, is practically irrelevant becuase of the tiny values involved. However, right at the start it sets in the mind of your reader that you are making a case for low inductance cables. Perhaps it wouldn't if we didn't get so many people here trying to do just that - but we do, so it does. :p

sq225917

Major Contributor
Its not about the audio signal itself. It extremely easy to record a signal and show its amplitude and frequencies. What that is extremely difficult is to decipher the information contained in this audio signal. Give you a really good example.

I am sure you have experienced those audio demos by dolby or some other effects company. Eg if they use a ball and bounce around in the room, you can literally hear the balling bounching off these imaginary walls at various location. Simple to hear and even pinpoint the location right? Now try to use record the audio signals and show the location of sound in the room. Then you realise its an entirely different ball game. How different audio signals coming out each speaker interacts and ultimately make us as a listener having the perception that the sound is coming from a particular location (when it's not).

So, the measurements performed here are basically synthetic tests like frequency response, SINAD, SNR, THD etc...They all do tell the performance of respective equipment. However, they are insufficient to tell how the entire system will perform when playing actualy music.
There's no need to decipher anything, just substract two recordings of two different cables from each other, what you are left with is the difference.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Why would a DC jump measurement be an important factor ?
No mains cable ever sees a 'DC jump'.
At best it has a 60Hz (flattened) sinewave on its input and 1ms rise time would already be 'fast enough'.
They showed the time it takes for a generic power cord to reach their maximum current takes 50μs.
1ms is 20x slower than that. So regardless if a super cable would be 'faster' that doesn't matter.

Even when we consider that the peaks going through the mains cable are repetitive every 8.3ms and conduct shorter than that we see that even the highest frequencies that actually have to pass through a mains cord will be below 1kHz (250μs rise time needed) so 'speed' is never an issue.
fft-single-phase-dual-winding-dual-diode1.png

(above spectrum of 50Hz mains current draw from a full wave rectifier)

The other thing they have shown is that the DC resistance is 3x lower than a generic power cord. The Venum3 thus has a lower DC resistance.
So just use a thicker gauge 'generic' cable and the resistance is the same as the Venum3.
Speed is already good enough and you thus in practice get the exact same performance as an expensive Shunyata cable when used with 60Hz mains.

200A peaks (60Hz) means that at 115VAC 16kW is drawn in say.... 1ms (the time the mains cable needs to conduct).
The other 7.3ms no current is drawn. This means 2kW continuous is basically being drawn at that moment.
When playing music (Crest factor) you would be powering the equivalent of a 10kW stereo amplifier.

Would you need that low a cable resistance to power your 2x 50W or even 2x500W stereo amp ? or your 10W DAC for that matter ?

So their research has shown that a regular mains cable is already MORE than 'fast enough' and that the only important factor is resistance which is solved with just a thicker gauge.

Thanks to the Shunyata article we now know that a generic mains cable is all you really need for audio equipment and more than that is over-kill and does not improve anything.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, did you happen to look at the OP, or the videos/claims I mentioned?

If so I'd love to know your take. For instance, the audible consequences, or not, of the - 10dB drop in "noise floor" measurements using the Shunyata cabling in the recording studiol
Yes, I watched both. The 10 dB drop of course could be anything. As you saw, it is some random measurements and who knows what is what. As you know, I have not measured even a fraction of that in all the power tweaks I have tested. As an aside, I worry about marble floors and B&W speakers he has in the mastering room. I suspect he needs much more dire work there than any power or cable tweak. :)

I should mention that I too got a tour of Shunyata and met with founder, Caelin. He was a generous host and a big supporter of me in digging into objective facts. He tries to practice the same, even buying an Audio Precision APx555 and wanting to do blind tests at some point. So as companies and founders of cable companies go, he is closest to sanity than any of them. That said, a member reached out to them asking for some product to test and his marketing guy (?) Grant wrote back saying in essence that I am the enemy of what they do so no interest in loaning the gear to me. :(

D

Deleted member 35357

Yes, I watched both. The 10 dB drop of course could be anything. As you saw, it is some random measurements and who knows what is what. As you know, I have not measured even a fraction of that in all the power tweaks I have tested. As an aside, I worry about marble floors and B&W speakers he has in the mastering room. I suspect he needs much more dire work there than any power or cable tweak. :)

I should mention that I too got a tour of Shunyata and met with founder, Caelin. He was a generous host and a big supporter of me in digging into objective facts. He tries to practice the same, even buying an Audio Precision APx555 and wanting to do blind tests at some point. So as companies and founders of cable companies go, he is closest to sanity than any of them. That said, a member reached out to them asking for some product to test and his marketing guy (?) Grant wrote back saying in essence that I am the enemy of what they do so no interest in loaning the gear to me. :(
They are in the business of making money for a living.
Giving you time might hurt their sales & income and in turn their living a comfortable life selling nonsense. Or rather the image of being "better" to their delusional customers.

They sell fancy looking cables, if someone doesn't like their peripherals from a performance standpoint it's understandable but there are lots of people who have excessive cash wanting that something extra premium to throw their money at to gain that extra edge compared to their peers. It's bragging rights!

Look how much excess money I have thrown out on these fancy cables! They say they are the best!

They are buying a image of having something "luxurious" and something better than the cheap stuff that's available.

It's luxurious designer bags, clothes & trinkets as comparison.

You just buy expensive stuff for it being expensive. It gives lots of people jobs. And people with excess wealth a reason to spend more than they need.

Wealth redistribution.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Grant knows which side of his bread is buttered.
Keith

teched58

Have we found out yet what "Research" it is that Shunyata Research is doing?

Are they trying to cure cancer?

Or is the focus more on commercializing fusion?

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Research into the extraction of cash through ignorance and gross gullibility. it’s going pretty well.
Keith

egellings

Major Contributor
Why worry about the inductance in a power cable when it will often be connected to a 50/60Hz power xfmr with Henries of primary inductance? As I mentioned in an earlier post, power cord inductance is low because two conductors are in very close proximity to each other with AC currents flowing in opposite directions in the two conductors. Cancellation occurs. It's simply too tiny a problem to piddle nervous little puddles over.

Top Bottom