• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Newman

Major Contributor
Ostentation never works for me. Nor does adornment. Much of this thread is filled with hideous examples of both, with relief provided mainly by examples that are ROTFLOL-inducing. The OP sure set the tone, too!

No. If you want to know if a speaker actually is beautiful, and not just an object of lust (which seems to so often increase with ostentation, exclusivity and unobtainability), then ask a field of non-audio people if they would install it in a room purely as a decoration or adornment, not hooked up to play audio, of if they would rather see it moved out.

I doubt if a single speaker shown to date would pass that unbiased test of beauty.

cheers

Axo1989

Major Contributor
... No. If you want to know if a speaker actually is beautiful, and not just an object of lust (which seems to so often increase with ostentation, exclusivity and unobtainability), then ask a field of non-audio people if they would install it in a room purely as a decoration or adornment, not hooked up to play audio, of if they would rather see it moved out.

I doubt if a single speaker shown to date would pass that unbiased test of beauty.

I sometimes forget how bizarre your posts are.

We often/usually ascribe positive aesthetics to useful objects based in the interaction of form and function. You are suggesting the only "pure" beauty is abstract, and that to evaluate the aesthetics of a functional object we must ignore that function. There are some aesthetic philosophies that frame things that way but they are (in my view, of course) nonsensical. The proposition that this approach intrinsically eliminates bias really is more nonsense.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
He's not wrong though.

Most people would pick something like Sonos One, B&O Beolit 20 or Harman Kardon Onyx as the most beautiful speaker in the world.

That's tangential: would "most people" rather have them taking up space if they didn't function? And do we judge non-functional objects without bias?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sure, if they didn't care about audio, they'd pick the most unobtrusive one.
But what's any of this have to do with the cost of a "College Cutie Hookers date"?

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No. If you want to know if a speaker actually is beautiful, and not just an object of lust (which seems to so often increase with ostentation, exclusivity and unobtainability), then ask a field of non-audio people if they would install it in a room purely as a decoration or adornment, not hooked up to play audio, of if they would rather see it moved out.
Well you buy art to hang on the wall but you buy speakers to play music.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The purpose of the art is not just to hang on the wall. It's to change the aesthetics of the room and/or give an emotional response when looked upon.

Speakers might have the function of playing music, but they'll also impact the aesthetics of the room, no matter what you do.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
The purpose of the art is not just to hang on the wall. It's to change the aesthetics of the room and/or give an emotional response when looked upon.

Speakers might have the function of playing music, but they'll also impact the aesthetics of the room, no matter what you do.
That's it!!! You're my best friend now and there's nothing you can do about it!

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec the ones on a nice pedestal unconnected
1671275553968.png

Or

1671275372851.png

I know which I'd rather admire for purely aesthetic enjoyment.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I get it, it's the Shag Rug Revival to go hand in hand with the Vinyl Revival. LOL

Now you’re on to me!

Yes, I’d have a lava lamp if I had somewhere to put it in my room!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Avantgarde Zeros, tried them here after their release in Munich, two models active and semi-active.
Keith

Top Bottom