• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2022 World Cup - Qatar

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have an idea to make Soccer more exciting!

Get rid of the goalkeepers.

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have an idea to make Soccer more exciting!

Get rid of the goalkeepers.
Could I wield the proverbial magic wand the one change I'd make to soccer/football is to eliminate the shootout when a game is tied after regulation and overtime. While a shootout can be exciting, it is a terrible disservice to the players. With the shootout their entire game hinges on luck as much as skill, and that is no way to decide an athletic contest. After the first overtime I'd just let them continue playing on until one team scores as a sudden death winner-take-all. Yeah, could take a long time, but at least athleticism would win the day, not luck.

Oh, hold that. There is one more thing I'd change: eliminate all the play-acting. Play-actors are the idiots writhing on the ground as if they just got shot by a 12-gauge when in reality they were hardly touched, if touched at all. The play-actors are, in a word, cowards. Matches should be won by athletic courage, not play-acting cowardice. Anyone caught play-acting should get a red card for unsportsmanlike conduct and be immediately ejected from the game.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
The play-actors are, in a word, cowards.
Not really... they're trying to win a game and obtaining a penalty kick can be most beneficial. It's up to the referee to ascertain if it was genuine or not, plus there is now VAR if needed. I think it reflects poorly on the player, rather than the game itself.

It's not like milking a penalty doesn't happen in other sports... from Rugby to a foul in Gridiron.

JSmith

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not really... they're trying to win a game and obtaining a penalty kick can be most beneficial. It's up to the referee to ascertain if it was genuine or not, plus there is now VAR if needed. I think it reflects poorly on the player, rather than the game itself.

It's not like milking a penalty doesn't happen in other sports... from Rugby to a foul in Gridiron.

JSmith
Defending cowardly play-actors in an athletic contest...
Red card.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
" .. The game's rules state that "attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)" must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour which is misconduct punishable by a yellow card .." - sadly it isn't enforced enough.

As to the world cup, well, I have predicted pretty much every match wrong, so today I predict that France will win. :-D

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
" .. The game's rules state that "attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)" must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour which is misconduct punishable by a yellow card .." - sadly it isn't enforced enough.

As to the world cup, well, I have predicted pretty much every match wrong, so today I predict that France will win. :-D
PS: My intent with my prediction was to drive a different outcome :)

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Defending cowardly play-actors in an athletic contest...
Football/soccer isn't solely athleticism though and like many sports involves much more than just being fit... like skill and strategy for example. It's not unexpected that players will act to milk a penalty... but as i said, I don't think it's a good look for the player and it is a bookable offence.

Gosh Morocco... what happened? Yeah... it was France. :cool:

JSmith

poxymoron

Football/soccer isn't solely athleticism though and like many sports involves much more than just being fit... like skill and strategy for example. It's not unexpected that players will act to milk a penalty... but as i said, I don't think it's a good look for the player and it is a bookable offence.

Gosh Morocco... what happened? Yeah... it was France. :cool:

JSmith
The manager started with two unfit players and that cost them. A pity really, with 11 fully fit players they would have had a real chance, but enormous credit to them. What an achievement.
Hard to call the final but let's hope its a classic.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Messi will have his moments and so will Mbappé.

Captain obvious perhaps but I feel the defenses are gonna make the difference.

So far, France's defense got properly tested, both against England and Morocco. In this regard Argentina has faced only relatively weak opponents (including NL and no offense to anyone). In any case, based on how this went I'd say they're not quite as solid as France and I can therefore see France lift the trophy in the end.

O well we'll see. :)

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
France's defense
I thought Zidane had retired... :cool:

zinedine-zidane.gif

JSmith

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Not sure I follow you. Is it with a C? Probably is. Sorry.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Not sure I follow you. Is it with a C? Probably is. Sorry.
Nah all good, defence in some places, defense in others... just a joke there about Zidane when he played for France in the 2006 WC. Plus I've been waiting all thread for a good excuse to post it... still cracks me up no end. :D

JSmith

TSB

If you knew how much Van Gaal had disrespected Argie players prior to the game and in his histo, if you knew how many times he said he didn’t like Argie players, if you knew how much the Dutch players kept dredging the Argies, maybe then you would understand their reaction.
Van Gaal said that he liked penalties because Messi chokes at them. Etc.

The hands to the ears was in reference to Riquelme, an Argie player that he kicked out of Barcelona and did great in another team.

Di María stated how personally he was criticized by Van Gaal in Man U.

Its Karma now. Sorry, but Van Gaal and his players have to eat the crap they threw out.
I don't think that's accurate. Van Gaal is a "typical" communicator, and his press conferences are usually somewhere between stand-up comedy and dramatic theater. However, in this case, having seen the interviews (in the original language) this is what I heard V Gaal say:
- Messi is GOAT but he doesn't help with defense, that is an advantage for us
- Argentina is one the best teams in the tournament and we will have to step it up hugely to beat them and GOAT messi
- We have an advantage if it goes to Penalty shootouts (he spoke a lot about how much the team prepared for that, after losing to argentina in penalties last time)

Where is the "talking shit" here?
OTOH Di Maria called Van Gaal "the worst coach ever", now that IS shit talking

The relevance of some conflict with Riquelme in the early 2000s (!) to me seems absolutely zero.

Top Bottom