• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Prices for used equipment

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
People are figuring out that a new piece of gear includes a warranty and store terms of sale and that used gear includes no support. As soon as used gear has no warranty or no store terms of sale I reduce it's value by about >20% and then figure out what age it is at and what risks I am taking on by buying the gear. Because I am assuming all the risk in the used gear sale I don't want to pay too much for used gear. I have not sold used audio gear for some years so I'm not familiar with today's used market but I have sold computer gear in recent years and if it is not 1/2 to 1/3 the new price nobody even responds to the ads. People are wiser regarding electronics than they where at one time and consider electronics as throw away items so they don't want to pay much for it.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it be fair to say that everyone has seen a significant decline in the ability to sell your used equipment at a decent price?
Yes, the market has been a bit soft.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy and sell audio equipment as a business, some stuff has dropped since when the economy and inflation are a problem, there's more sellers than buyers. Things will get better when inflation lessens and people aren't selling non-essential items and buying fun stuff, but it'll be a while. If you're going to sell on eBay at an auction, it's really risky, but a good time to buy. Auctions should run a week and end always on a Sunday at 5-8pm EST which is when bids go the highest. I don't even buy then because things just get bid up like crazy. All the liquidators end their auctions then so they can pack weekend sales to ship on Monday. Having a buy it now isn't bad if a competing item is on auction, people who lose will be bitter and want to buy the item anyway, so it's your chance.
If you can hang on to an item or just stick it on a buy it now and wait it out, it'll be months before the economy has people in a buying mood again. The only upside is that people are buying less new items at full MSRP, so if you're selling used that can work in your favor. I'm getting into more collectible headphones like the Beyerdynamic T90 and DT860 that are out of production. They take a while to sell, but there's no competition except overseas like the dealer in Japan.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It depends on what you have to sell.

Collectible and classic vintage 2ch is still going up in leaps and bounds.

1668239188905.png

1668239262536.png

Waxx

Major Contributor
Here in Belgium (and most of Europe) is a lot to offer, but no buyers, or at least no buyers who want to spend money to get a device. Everybody is watching their budget as inflation is high, energy prices are crazy and there is a war out there not so far from us that could spread out. So nobody takes financial risks, even very small ones, and buckle up for a hard winter with hope on better times next year...

I tried to sell a Luxman preamp from the good period (pre 1983) but nobody wanted to pay the price that a year ago was considered cheap. So i pulled it of the auction sites and wait untill the market is back to normal. I don't need to sell it, but i'm not using it anymore...

DanielT

Major Contributor
Regarding the purchase of used. Keep in mind that it is not certain that the warranty will be included to the next buyer.

In other words, the guarantee is personal. Example. Person X buys new gadget A with a 12-month warranty. Person X sells gadget A to person B after 6 months. Then it is not certain that the warranty for gadget A applies the remaining 6 months for person B.

BUT! Research what applies in the country you live in.

Last edited:

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh.
I just buy more stuff.
Thanks for the tip!
;) :cool:
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth." - Holden Caulfield

When you decide to sell that personally signed first edition of "Catcher in the Rye"... let me know and I'll sell everything for the down payment. Print and Audio... waiting for that mega asteroid to take its toll... so play it LOUD.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Here in Belgium (and most of Europe) is a lot to offer, but no buyers, or at least no buyers who want to spend money to get a device. Everybody is watching their budget as inflation is high, energy prices are crazy and there is a war out there not so far from us that could spread out. So nobody takes financial risks, even very small ones, and buckle up for a hard winter with hope on better times next year...

I tried to sell a Luxman preamp from the good period (pre 1983) but nobody wanted to pay the price that a year ago was considered cheap. So i pulled it of the auction sites and wait untill the market is back to normal. I don't need to sell it, but i'm not using it anymore...
This may be the first time a class A amp may be justified. The combo of a PC and a Marantz AVR is actually heating a part of my place...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
People are figuring out that a new piece of gear includes a warranty and store terms of sale and that used gear includes no support. As soon as used gear has no warranty or no store terms of sale I reduce it's value by about >20% and then figure out what age it is at and what risks I am taking on by buying the gear. Because I am assuming all the risk in the used gear sale I don't want to pay too much for used gear. I have not sold used audio gear for some years so I'm not familiar with today's used market but I have sold computer gear in recent years and if it is not 1/2 to 1/3 the new price nobody even responds to the ads. People are wiser regarding electronics than they where at one time and consider electronics as throw away items so they don't want to pay much for it.
Exactly. I'll not pay more than 60% of current retail. It goes down from there with age/condition.

I'm constantly amazed how much people think their used gear is worth.

steve59

Major Contributor
Agon charges 3% while paypal nets 3-4% and adding shipping the cost of used gear can stack up to what a local dealer will discount demo gear.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm constantly amazed how much people think their used gear is worth.
Lol... I see people stating their video card is a classic/collectible item due to some sort of special stuff about it. rflmao.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Used prices on a lot of stuff have been high for years, due to the COVID supply chain crisis and limited new stock pushing demand to the used market. Now we're seeing more reversion to the norm. That's not just in hifi gear.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth." - Holden Caulfield

When you decide to sell that personally signed first edition of "Catcher in the Rye"... let me know and I'll sell everything for the down payment. Print and Audio... waiting for that mega asteroid to take its toll... so play it LOUD.
JD Salinger lived one town south of here. :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol... I see people stating their video card is a classic/collectible item due to some sort of special stuff about it. rflmao.
A classic example is the latest in the for sale section: A $5900 retail item - $5000 being asked. With all the risk of shipping DOA, early life problems born by the purchaser. And if anything goes wrong it's going to cost much more than that $900 (presumably less shipping) saving.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JD Salinger lived one town south of here. :)
I know that. That's why I thought you might have had him sign a copy for which I'd sell a kidney... at least for the down payment. Did you ever cross paths?

Top Bottom