• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Prices for used equipment

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well so far mostly backwards compatible, tho on the hdmi. It's for drm primarily.

Ok backwards compatibility can be helpful in a pinch, but it ends up just being a frustrating bottleneck in your setup.

Things that have caused HDMI devices to become outdated and therefore undesireable:

Starting from DVD with 5.1 Dolby Digital...
Bluray 1080p 7.1 lossless Dolby True HD...
3D...
ARC...
eARC...
4k...
Atmos...
HDR...
Dolby Vision...
120Hz...

I probably missed some others.

Potentially each one of these could cause you to upgrade your TV, player and AVR.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok backwards compatibility can be helpful in a pinch, but it ends up just being a frustrating bottleneck in your setup.

Things that have caused HDMI devices to become outdated and therefore undesireable:

Starting from DVD with 5.1 Dolby Digital...
Bluray 1080p 7.1 lossless Dolby True HD...
3D...
ARC...
eARC...
4k...
Atmos...
HDR...
Dolby Vision...
120Hz...

I probably missed some others.

Potentially each one of these could cause you to upgrade your TV, player and AVR.
LOL it's a vicious circle, eh? Just depends somewhat if you can say OK, I'm good with this level for a while....and then I'll consider upgrade later and see what develops while I keep steady for now. I don't adopt newest tech immediately either. I'm still fine with my 1080p plasmas and some other lcd sets in various systems of basic 7.1/5.1 format for audio. I didn't care much for ARC, and can't see using a tv to source lossless audio (I just use them for display even if they have smart functions). So up to hardware hdmi 1.4a basically, which works fine for my purposes of both disc players and streaming. I still prefer a good disc to streaming, too. 120hz or soap opera mode never appealed to me but am not a gamer either. Someday I'll probably have to upgrade to a 4k oled but still likely not going to dig into my ceilings for installation of speakers either..... YMMV.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Funny but I've never experienced any of those issues over the years and I'm not a constant upgrader.

but still likely not going to dig into my ceilings for installation of speakers either..... YMMV.
Chrispy, you'll be depriving yourself of one of the best improvements in surround audio (Atmos-Auro) available but that's your call. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny but I've never experienced any of those issues over the years and I'm not a constant upgrader.

Chrispy, you'll be depriving yourself of one of the best improvements in surround audio (Atmos-Auro) available but that's your call. ;)
I know I'd probably like it, just don't like the work to put 'em in there....and then could I stop at just one room?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I know I'd probably like it, just don't like the work to put 'em in there....and then could I stop at just one room?
Your in Amir's back yard, maybe he'll come by and do the install for you. LOL

Nascimento

Everybody thinks used audio gear is priced too high.
Until they have something to sell.
Best answer in this topic, and it applies to all the same topics in other forums in the world!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your in Amir's back yard, maybe he'll come by and do the install for you. LOL
That's too high priced for labor. I'm stubborn, will do it myself or just won't. Then there's the whole round of upgrading that would be needed to go along with it....but just don't see the need vs cost thing.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's too high priced for labor. I'm stubborn, will do it myself or just won't. Then there's the whole round of upgrading that would be needed to go along with it....but just don't see the need vs cost thing.
IMHO, it's worth every penny.
YMMV ;)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I cannot get motivated enough to do the research for all such websites for used audio gear. [p'haps it would encourage another member]
It was fun when you could search thru all of ebay used audio gear by their photographs.
eBay finally pulled it off (both apple/google stores) in December 2021 but I understand there maybe an app release (android) for a similar search-by-photos for used gear again ... but not for desktops.:(

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If you think the market for used audio gear is soft now, wait till a majority of baby boomers has thoroughly reached hearing aid age (+/- a decade from now, if that) and eventually passed on altogether.
Hush your mouth! ;)

Top Bottom