• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

D

Deleted member 65

and response I've got ... :-(

" OK now we sure ES9038Q2M or LPF has problems. Are your D50 in warranty? You can contact the seller for warranty if it is in warranty.

Best Regards!
----------------------------------
TOPPING service "

chosen_too

and response I've got ... :-(

" OK now we sure ES9038Q2M or LPF has problems. Are your D50 in warranty? You can contact the seller for warranty if it is in warranty.

Best Regards!
----------------------------------
TOPPING service "

I was hoping it's firmware related thing because many users report same problem with different devices bought from different sellers. My dac is on warranty, but now I have to pay for delivery two times according to eBay seller return policy. I'm very disappointed with Topping.

D

Deleted member 65

I was hoping it's firmware related thing because many users report same problem with different devices bought from different sellers. My dac is on warranty, but now I have to pay for delivery two times according to eBay seller return policy. I'm very disappointed with Topping.

My response

" All Topping D50 users at AudioScienceReview.Com that have tested their D50 have the same problem.
I have no warranty, bought from Massdrop. "

chosen_too

My response

" All Topping D50 users at AudioScienceReview.Com that have tested their D50 have the same problem.
I have no warranty, bought from Massdrop. "

Maybe we should create poll or something like that where all d50 users will vote if their dac affected or not, than design flaw will be obvious and manufacturer should admit it and release fixed firmware maybe. At least new customers will be aware of this issue.

I found that this kind of behavior is present in some other dacs with same ess chip (source - diyaudio forum). Left channel works fine, but right channel switches off after 20 sec, when no signal is detected on left channel.

Last edited:

gorg

Another quick test: PC-USB--->D50, Foobar+channel mixer plugin enabled and output set to R channel only, random music AND DSD transcoder enabled (DSD64). Works fine... hmmm....

Snafu

Bought mine last thursday and it's on it's way over here :facepalm:

If i understood correctly, this R-channel problem isn't something that matters in casual use ?

Thanks for the input guys, i hope it can be fixed through SW (maybe they fix that hump too...) ;)

gorg

If i understood correctly, this R-channel problem isn't something that matters in casual use ?

Thanks for the input guys, i hope it can be fixed through SW (maybe they fix that hump too...) ;)
I didn't noticed any problems during music playback but R channel problem is annoying when you try to measure sth in REW...

chosen_too

For now I'm sure that this behavior is present in all d50. I don't know if it is hardware bug due improper implementation of ess chip, or just some setting in firmware. Anyway I'm waiting for comment from topping engineers. This bug is rare, until you're listening to one channel recordings so far.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can the d50 data be converted to the new test bench value with sinad etc..?

yeaster

need some help. anyone got the latest topping d50 drivers? I cannot access their website now.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

da Choge

Forum Donor
Well, I was about to pull the trigger on the D50, being really impressed thus far, but was waiting until I read the whole thread. Now, I'm very concerned about this unit, mainly because of the last few pages of this review. I know the R-channel kill has been recognized only very recently when the D50 is fed with a pink-noise or a sine-wave sweep with only the R-channel engaged (and not during normal music listening). But, I can't help thinking that this may very occasionally affect real stereo music listening at certain times when the left channel has low to no output. Moreover, I really became really concerned when, after all you good guys contacted Topping regarding this problem, and read: "OK now we sure ES9038Q2M or LPF has problems. Are your D50 in warranty? You can contact the seller for warranty if it is in warranty." -- apparently a response from Topping itself? (first received by LarsS). The D50 almost appears to be a No-Go at this point unless a firmware revision can resolve this problem (unless it really is trivial, but it doesn't seem so). Am I over-reacting? What are present owners' concerns at this point? I'm a little surprised Amirm hasn't chimed in on this as of yet, but I know he is probably swamped with a zillion other projects, and the D50 is now old news. Guys, I really wanted to get this DAC; recommended or not recommended at this point?

- john

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm a little surprised Amirn hasn't chimed in on this as of yet, but I know he is probably swamped with a zillion other projects, and the D50 is now old news.
I have been reading the thread but yes, busy with other things. And no, there is no real consequence of the bug in any music listening.

As to support, yes, that can be an issue so I suggest buying from Amazon or another place you can return the unit. The D50 has been out for a while and track record has been pretty positive.

chosen_too

There is no point in buying Topping d50 from Amazon or any other seller to avoid this bug, because for now this is design flaw and will be present in every d50 all over market.

Overall I'm disappointed with support - no reaction and then such strange recommendation to send dac back to China just to receive back equal device.

Last edited:

zephyros

I don't use Topping driver, so how can I reproduce the bugs?
It's unfortunate that the bug exist but such specific circumstances shouldn't affect normal usage as I have no problem with the device so far (been using it since it came out). Couple with the fact that there's an easy fix (resetting the device) I don't think it's that big of a deal. Of course if one is buying the D50 now he/she should wait for the hardware revision, but otherwise I think the problem is blown out of proportion here.
Overall I'm disappointed with support - no reaction and then such strange recommendation to send dac back to China just to receive back equal device.
It's holiday season, though I too would prefer them to respond sooner. For the other issues however, I'm not sure how else are Topping going to resolve it other than asking for a send back device for replacement?

Top Bottom