• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

chosen_too

For the other issues however, I'm not sure how else are Topping going to resolve it other than asking for a send back device for replacement?

If all devices are the same what's the point swapping them? Manufacturer should investigate case instead and produce new firmware or new board revision and replace buggy ones then.

zephyros

No, all inputs are the same, just play file I previously uploaded or use your own ( any file with sound only in right channel more then 20 seconds)
I played that file using foobar wasapi push. So when I played for about 13s then tried playing it from the beginning using the progress bar it's confirmed that there's no sound (this is the supposed bugs correct?). When I changed to other music file there's a slight sizzle sound then the music played normally. Tried playing different files (24/192 and 16/44.1) is OK too. Seems like I don't even have to reboot the device for it to be fixed. Again, I don't think it will affect any normal user.
If all devices are the same what's the point swapping them? Manufacturer should investigate case instead and produce new firmware or new board revision and replace buggy ones then.
I see. I was assuming that they want to send the device back to fix the issues, but if it's merely a replacement then there's indeed no point. Though I would ask them again to make sure that's what they meant in the response.

gorg

To don't need drivers to reproduce bug - just play any right channel only recording via coaxial or optical for example.
Via USB too. You don't need to use additional drivers. Also turn off DSD processor if you're using it.

Last edited:

elnan14

So, if i’m getting this right, people are complaining about their units and returning them because they cannot do something like.... this?

If that’s the case I guess it will not be a problem for us, the regular people who drive their cars on 4 wheels ;)

Attachments

• 50B48E58-59A3-446C-A296-7FE61868F02D.jpeg
    50B48E58-59A3-446C-A296-7FE61868F02D.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 144

Snafu

If unit does something unexpected like this, what next ?

Would you like to have a car that turns off all electricity and shuts steering lock when you steer right
and change gear from 5th to 2nd at the same time ?

chosen_too

So, if i’m getting this right, people are complaining about their units and returning them because they cannot do something like.... this?

If that’s the case I guess it will not be a problem for us, the regular people who drive their cars on 4 wheels ;)

This is acceptable behavior, but it isn't normal and must be fixed or mentioned in product description, nothing fancy.

jackenhack

Forum Donor
@amirm if you have the time could you try the Right channel sweep file provided by @chosen_too and verify if your D50 have the Right channel issue.

https://ufile.io/uha14

I have the same problem with my unit. When the sweep goes up to high frequency, the right channel shuts off. If I start the sweep from mid-frequency and up, it works. Very strange.

chosen_too

Well, the plot thickens. I've had a problem with the right channel on my Massdrop THX amp on the

I have the same problem with my unit. When the sweep goes up to high frequency, the right channel shuts off. If I start the sweep from mid-frequency and up, it works. Very strange.

It's only a question of track length, no matter what it contains (music, sweep, noise and so on). It takes approx 20 seconds for right channel to shut down.

jackenhack

Forum Donor
It's only a question how long track is, no matter what it contains (music, sweep, noise and so on). It takes approx 20 seconds for the right channel to fall off.

So could it be that Topping is just checking that there is a signal on the left channel? Otherwise, it shuts off? Have to look at the PCB again.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
So could it be that Topping is just checking that there is a signal on the left channel? Otherwise, it shuts off? Have to look at the PCB again.

Put a 1 bit tone in the left at the same time, and see...

Can't see why it would wait 20 seconds to mute on no signal, though, oh well...

chosen_too

Sounds much better then product return, it's all about Topping attention to problem and new firmware.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If I generate a tone at 1kHz on the left channel, at -96dB, it works. Delete the signal; the right channel goes dead.

So, PROBLEM SOLVED!

Now all they have to do is fix it...

Top Bottom