• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio DirectStream DAC mk2 hilarious ad copy

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PS Audio is launching its “DirectStream” (whatever that means) DAC mk2 and the ad copy on the product page is hilarious:

“Unlike the vast majority of high-end DACs based on off-the-shelf IC technology, DirectStream MK2 is handwritten, discrete, galvanically isolated, perfection-based conversion that uncovers all the missing information hiding in your digital audio media.”

Uncovering “missing information?” If it is adding data that was heretofore “missing,” that’s called distortion!

“DirectStream MK2 converts every one of its galvanically isolated input signals, both PCM and DSD, to a high sample rate 50 bit version which is further converted to pure DSD for its final conversion to pure analog.”

So we have multiple conversions going on? PCM or DSD converted to 50-bit PCM (they are probably calling this “DXD”), then converted to DSD, and then converted to analog? So is that a “direct stream” or is it . . . indirect?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
PS Audio is launching its “DirectStream” (whatever that means) DAC mk2 and the ad copy on the product page is hilarious:

“Unlike the vast majority of high-end DACs based on off-the-shelf IC technology, DirectStream MK2 is handwritten, discrete, galvanically isolated, perfection-based conversion that uncovers all the missing information hiding in your digital audio media.”

Uncovering “missing information?” If it is adding data that was heretofore “missing,” that’s called distortion!

“DirectStream MK2 converts every one of its galvanically isolated input signals, both PCM and DSD, to a high sample rate 50 bit version which is further converted to pure DSD for its final conversion to pure analog.”

So we have multiple conversions going on? PCM or DSD converted to 50-bit PCM (they are probably calling this “DXD”), then converted to DSD, and then converted to analog? So is that a “direct stream” or is it . . . indirect?
Not just analog. *Pure* analog.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Holy crap, $8k

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys are generating so much traffic for their website that it isn't responding. They must be using PS Audio servers.
Only the *pure* traffic gets through.

Incidentally "it generated so much excitement the servers went down with all the traffic" will be the talking point.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they mean hand coded; i.e., they are using a FPGA with their own D/A conversion coding rather than an off-the-shelf DAC chip.
Yes, it is artisanal digital to analog conversion. Bespoke for only those with the finest systems and most refined tastes.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys are generating so much traffic for their website that it isn't responding. They must be using PS Audio servers.
Yes, I've been attempting to get in for awhile.... garOwwwwLZzzzz...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"Use of twin FPGAs rather than an off-the-shelf DAC chip provides immense processing power, resulting in a complete lack of digital glare, and allows the owner to download our free operating system updates as they are released. With every free upgrade to the operating system, new levels of resolution and audio magic will enrich and make new this remarkable D to A converter."
In perpetuity upgrades and veils lifted regularly too.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate digital glare. For several minutes afterwards I can hardly see.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I think their website hand written as well… every time a request comes in, some poor schmuck from a 3rd world country has to write the content of the site on a piece of paper. Then they have an FPGA powered camera that converts the handwriting to ASCII and serve it to the unsuspecting visitors.

Curvature

Major Contributor
The "Digital Processing S/N ration" [sic] specs are "Upsampling > 210dB, volume control and Sigma Delta Modulator: > 330dB".

Wow.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
They lost me at:

“handwritten, discrete, galvanically isolated, perfection-based conversion that uncovers all the missing information hiding in your digital audio media. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Top Bottom