• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

Paradigm5h1f7

BASH was Technics's, wasn't it? Those were the days of our lives... :)
haha... indeed the days of our lives! :)

BASH was a Canadian company who developed the tech. The name is also an abbreviation for the tech, Bridged Amplifier Switching Hybrid. Finding information on it these days is difficult. BASH was later bought and managed by Indigo, and it started falling off the map. Some of the Technics Class H avrs used actual BASH. I remember listening to a set of Paradigm Monitor 5's on one of those AVR's and was floored. Wasn't soon after I bought my own system. :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Paradigm5h1f7 don't be surprised, just be ready to dig deap enough. G & H class are tied to power supply which increases efficiency, not directly tied to one or another traditional typology (A, AB or C or D) and can be based atop any mentioned.
You will find it and on power supply circuit in some cases (not directly on the amp circuit for example Hypex modules supplies). You will always recognise it by presence of charge pump. You can find it and on all newer QC Snapdragon SoC's.
Regarding dac's 24 bit integer is still a never reached stratosphere regarding SINAD but you have 64 bit floating point on your disposal (for EQ-ing and effects) on the digital side (and available commercially).
What I like about CS43131 design is it's claimed EMI rejection rate of 100 dB (that's a main reason for so many successful dongle alike designs that come very close to state of art desktop one's, G6 implementation isn't on such level only what should be considered as good from ASR point of view).
Best regards.

Paradigm5h1f7

@Paradigm5h1f7 don't be surprised, just be ready to dig deap enough. G & H class are tied to power supply which increases efficiency, not directly tied to one or another traditional typology (A, AB or C or D) and can be based atop any mentioned.
You will find it and on power supply circuit in some cases (not directly on the amp circuit for example Hypex modules supplies). You will always recognise it by presence of charge pump. You can find it and on all newer QC Snapdragon SoC's.
Regarding dac's 24 bit integer is still a never reached stratosphere regarding SINAD but you have 64 bit floating point on your disposal (for EQ-ing and effects) on the digital side (and available commercially).
What I like about CS43131 design is it's claimed EMI rejection rate of 100 dB (that's a main reason for so many successful dongle alike designs that come very close to state of art desktop one's, G6 implementation isn't on such level only what should be considered as good from ASR point of view).
Best regards.
Very cool, I didn't know class H was used for Snapdragon, it makes sense. You would think they just go straight class D amplification on an SOC for cellular devices, or devices that need to maintain the utmost efficiency of battery life? I did a quick search and noticed Qualcomm are moving from audio codecs to a dedicated all in one 32bit DAC device as of last year, which is also cool! It is great seeing all this innovation in the Sound space again.

In regards to the G6, I am toying with the idea of designing my own amplifier, and integrated DAC. I like the idea of compact devices (within reason of course) sounding amazing. I would like to employ BASH, for small footprint with big sound, with a small area similar to the G6 for DAC.

In regards to the testing, I am an EE that really really believes simplicity always shines over complexity and am wondering where audio sits in this realm. I think this is why R2R DACs are so popular these days. If the components are selected properly, I don't see why a small footprint DAC couldn't perform equally as well as a larger DAC when shielding, power, LR isolation, and ground planes are added for noise rejection. USB DAC's I can't really get on board with because we do need a little more room for the previously mentioned. This is where the G6 32bit DAC peaked my interest. It is a small footprint, that looks to tik a lot of the boxes, and ASR seemed to back up my ideas.

If you are interested in how I came to my curiosity about the G6. I found the pictures of the guts on reddit and noticed the following.
- I noticed separate voltage conditioners for amplification, processor, and DAC. PSUs are wildly large in expensive DACs for no reason.
- There is isolation for the DAC with dedicated ground planes / components.
- The left and right channels have separate traces, with sufficient trace spacing to each other and the ground planes for a 5V signal, mitigating any EMI issues. You can see them in separate areas around the DAC, and to / from the OPAMPS for pre amplification. Larger PCB designs get carried away for trace spacing.
- The G6 DAC seemingly uses tantalum capacitors rather then the Polyester film stuff used in expensive DACS around the DAC chip, as well as the pre amplification of the OPAMPS. Capacitors around the DAC / OPAMPS, in my opinion, are meant for noise suppression of the internal components and device function such as oscillators, not audio shaping, so technically, the tantalum caps are vastly superior in every way in those areas.
-For audio shaping the G6 employs Polyester film caps into the final output amplification stage, which is where I would "shape" the audio signal if I designed something similar.

It is eerily close to something I would design, which has peaked my curiosity. :)

I plan on buying a higher end DAC to listen to, this is really just all experimental, and will be an interesting listen to see the real world results without me having to design something myself. :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Paradigm5h1f7
It's a class D-H in QC case (QA SoC's) and used sadly only as class D from all vendors. I know because I did some software development and costume ROM's in the past and that's the only way you can have it enabled. I am not an EE but I understand today's hardware development (wanted to be a black box designer which never materialised) and did some enthusiastic work about it. Software is a stepping stone today.
Giving a complexity in concern don't waist your time and resources you don't really have (you could play with FPGA prototyping but not putting it to silicon) on R2R DAC design, stick to simple things.
In that manner you should find interesting the PSU design with charge pump to conventional amplifier class typology.
So try with amplifier and turn your resources to material science and shielding the design for which thermal polymer elastane graphite mixture is a way to go (for DAC's, amps...).
You have thumb alike CS43131 DAC designs reaching 115 dB SINAD starting from 65 $/€, a tad less SINAD for 36~40 (good old TempoTec Sonata HD Pro) and best mesured one to my better knowledge is Luxury & Precision W2 but really not worth 300 $/€. And while there is a forest of dongle DAC's performing great there isn't any regarding in hedaphone integration (there where some novel but failed tryes which didn't use adequate IC designs in the first place).

Have a nice time and a good luck on your journey.

Last edited:

Paradigm5h1f7

@Zolall
Very cool in regards to SOC design! Really appreciate the feedback.

I would love to develop a 32 bit, or even 64 bit R2R DAC, the problem is the FPGA. I am a hardware designer at heart, and not a software engineer. I can do it, but find it tedious. I also believe programming it isn't as cut and dry as signaling the resistors, as there is some natural reverberation in voices, and in nature. Some crosstalk between adjacent bits may actually help in this case, but I am sure with higher end FPGA's reverberation, and sampling the bits, etc, is programmed into the FPGAs, hence why I would be more apt to just use a quality integrated 32 bit DAC.

For the amp, yes, I really should focus on that first as it is directly what I am interested in. I would love for BASH to make a comeback. In regards to the shaping using capacitors, I really think getting out of the way of the signal is important. The real sound shaping should happen mostly in the speaker crossover network IMHO. This is why we have warm / cold sounding amps, etc, and the speaker can be the same or different. Just let the speaker do as it was designed / intended. That said, the statement isn't either here or there, since shaping in the amp can result in a bad speaker sounding better, and good speaker sounding worse. Also why a lot of audiophiles comment on how well a certain amp works with a certain speaker.

Was really nice talking to you guys. Who knows, maybe I will have an amp for you to test in the future! haha.
All the best to you!

fbfranco

Hello everyone,
I'm considering using the G6 as an "equalizer bridge". Connecting to a PS5 through USB and sending optical signal, equalized, to the DAC. So I can keep my DAC/Heaphone Amp combo, but get some EQ.
Considering it's digital in digital out on the G6, what are the performance impacts of this additional link on the system? Does SNR or SINAD gets worse or it's possibly just some more Jitter?
Thanks!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,
I'm considering using the G6 as an "equalizer bridge". Connecting to a PS5 through USB and sending optical signal, equalized, to the DAC. So I can keep my DAC/Heaphone Amp combo, but get some EQ.
Considering it's digital in digital out on the G6, what are the performance impacts of this additional link on the system? Does SNR or SINAD gets worse or it's possibly just some more Jitter?
Thanks!
Bare in mind that the G6 only has Graphic Equaliser EQ built into it, so it doesn't have Parametric EQ which would have been more useful.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hello everyone,
Thanks!
Not sure how much eq it will give you, but as far as taking a SNR or SINAD penalty; it's device dependent.
I don't think Amir tested the optical out performance but with anything optical; the input device (the dac) can behave differently with different signals and possibly have lower performance in general.

fbfranco

Bare in mind that the G6 only has Graphic Equaliser EQ built into it, so it doesn't have Parametric EQ which would have been more useful.
Thanks. Agree a PEQ would be much more useful, but as I already have a G6 lying around, it's more about benefits versus impacts of adding it to the system.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Agree a PEQ would be much more useful, but as I already have a G6 lying around, it's more about benefits versus impacts of adding it to the system.
Using the G6 for EQ is better than no EQ at all. So run the G6 and use the EQ and everything should work out well. Any accumulative distortion etc should be miniscule as all effects are in the digital domain.

MCH

Major Contributor
Hello everyone,
Thanks!

Bockoama

Hey everyone,

i could need some recommendation on how to setup my Audio devices via the G6.

I own a G6 from my console days when i played Xbox and lately switched over to PC Gaming.

I have a B550A Motherboard by ASUS.

Headphones/set i use is the Beyerdynamics MMX 300

I also have a Creative Stage 2.1 Soundbar which i took from my TV and use with my PC.

Another Device i have laying around and use with my Laptop is a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen for guitar recordings.

Maybe i should use the Scarlett instead of the G6?

Im looking for the best way to hook up those 2 devices with my G6 and id like to know if there is any benefit to use the Line out of my G6 and hook up the Soundbar ?

Any advantage at all, does VSS carry over to the soundbar from the G6?

Currently i have only my MMX 300 connected to my G6 , set to 7.1 , EQ wise i use the Band EQ result from Peace AUTO EQ, however i might switch over to peace anyway instead of using the Sound Blaster Command EQ. Out of all SBX effects i only use around 25% on surround sound for Gaming and Movies and turn it off for music.

Im still curious what i should do with certain games that use 3D Audio and 5.1 such as CSGO? Turn 3D Audio off and use SBX instead, switch from 7.1 to 5.1 instead ?

In the past i also used Spatial Audio "DTS X for Headphones" while my G6 was in direct mode, so far that gave me the best experience when it comes to movies or Spatial Audio supported games such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Im not too experienced when it comes to audio so any help would be appreciated , its also the main reason i signed up here.

Thanks in advance and i hope everyone has a great weekend! :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey everyone,

i could need some recommendation on how to setup my Audio devices via the G6.

I own a G6 from my console days when i played Xbox and lately switched over to PC Gaming.

I have a B550A Motherboard by ASUS.

Headphones/set i use is the Beyerdynamics MMX 300

I also have a Creative Stage 2.1 Soundbar which i took from my TV and use with my PC.

Another Device i have laying around and use with my Laptop is a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen for guitar recordings.

Maybe i should use the Scarlett instead of the G6?

Im looking for the best way to hook up those 2 devices with my G6 and id like to know if there is any benefit to use the Line out of my G6 and hook up the Soundbar ?

Any advantage at all, does VSS carry over to the soundbar from the G6?

Currently i have only my MMX 300 connected to my G6 , set to 7.1 , EQ wise i use the Band EQ result from Peace AUTO EQ, however i might switch over to peace anyway instead of using the Sound Blaster Command EQ. Out of all SBX effects i only use around 25% on surround sound for Gaming and Movies and turn it off for music.

Im still curious what i should do with certain games that use 3D Audio and 5.1 such as CSGO? Turn 3D Audio off and use SBX instead, switch from 7.1 to 5.1 instead ?

In the past i also used Spatial Audio "DTS X for Headphones" while my G6 was in direct mode, so far that gave me the best experience when it comes to movies or Spatial Audio supported games such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Im not too experienced when it comes to audio so any help would be appreciated , its also the main reason i signed up here.

Thanks in advance and i hope everyone has a great weekend! :)
The G6 is a good quality DAC for music, and for gaming. You'd have a G6 for the gaming otherwise you probably would choose another DAC if you weren't gaming. G6 is great for gaming using SBX Virtual 7.1 Surround - hooked up to your headphones. I can't really see any advantages of hooking up the G6 to your soundbar, I'm not really sure how soundbars work - do they receive 7 real channels of input, if so then the soundblaster only outputs 2 real channels, but it does process 7.1 real channels down to 2 channels, which is of course where it comes in with it's Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound for headphones. Creatives SBX Virtual Surround is the only surround that works properly for me, in terms of it being convincing - so I always recommend it over any other surround sound technology. Use Virtual 7.1 rather than Virtual 5.1 if your games support it. Have a look at the following thread, with advice on how to test & setup virtual surround and various information comparing different companies' surround sound solutions:

Mike November

Hello friends! I have a Sound BlasterX G6. I want to buy a Sabaj A10h amplifier for it. Do I understand correctly that the Sabaj A10h will have low power, since the G6 has an output voltage of less than 3Vrms?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends! I have a Sound BlasterX G6. I want to buy a Sabaj A10h amplifier for it. Do I understand correctly that the Sabaj A10h will have low power, since the G6 has an output voltage of less than 3Vrms?
Amir reviewed the Sabaj A10h here and he used 2V input rather the max 5V, so the results seen in Amir's review are relevant to the Soundblaster G6 being used with it (2V max output).
Ideally though, you should lower the G6 output by 2dBFS to avoid the clipping issue of the G6, so you'll lose 2dB of volume when using the amp at Unity Gain (and I guess you'd lose more than that when using it in High Gain by whatever the multiplication factor is), but that will be the same when you use the G6 with any amplifier. But you'd probably be able to drive almost any headphone beyond the limits of safety with that combination.

Mike November

But you'd probably be able to drive almost any headphone beyond the limits of safety with that combination.
Thanks for the answer! I use AKG K612 PRO 120 ohm headphones, 101 dB/V. 101 dB/V = 92 dB/mW. Very low sensitivity. So I doubt the amp will work

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the answer! I use AKG K612 PRO 120 ohm headphones, 101 dB/V. 101 dB/V = 92 dB/mW. Very low sensitivity. So I doubt the amp will work
Hi, I've got K702 which is 102dB/V - it's absolutely fine for my G6 to drive those along with even a -11dB Negative Preamp to cover EQ boosts which includes the -2dBFS thing I mentioned earlier, and I use my JDS Labs Atom Amp in Low Gain at a max of 2 o'clock on the volume knob, so there's loads of headroom left even without switching to High Gain on my headphone amp. Therefore, you'll be fine using the G6 & Sabaj headphone amp to drive your K612, they're really not difficult to drive - it'll be fine.

Veri

Master Contributor
If you can, maybe consider the Sabaj A20h. I use it just single ended and it has tons of power really, much more than A10h.

Mike November

If you can, maybe consider the Sabaj A20h. I use it just single ended and it has tons of power really, much more than A10h
sounds tempting! But how can I connect the Sabaj A20h to my SoundblasterX G6? How much power will I lose ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
sounds tempting! But how can I connect the Sabaj A20h to my SoundblasterX G6? How much power will I lose ?
I would have thought 3.5mm line out Jack from g6 to RCA/phone inputs on Sabaj. Cheap Amazon basics or ugreen 3.5 to RCA cable .

Top Bottom