• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiogon thread critical of ASR

Status
Not open for further replies.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
They give no credence to unmeasurable sound factors like PRAT, from the site and thread we are discussing. As a British person, it always brings a wry smile this talk of prat…

British
: a stupid or foolish person

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I started out in 1973, nearly all the audio-store staff smoked 'on the floor' and I remember in the big store I started at in 1974, we had all the gear set into a 'Ladderax-style' modular furniture system pulled out from the fulll length windows behind so one could walk around the back to do connections. ALL the cables had a tarry like substance stuck to them, making them smelly and sticky (Dunhill International ciggies were the coffin-nails of choice then).
Yeah, I was reminiscing about smoking the other day. It's incredible the smoking we used to do and peeps would tolerate it like we had rights. Thankfully I quit ~10 or 12 years ago. Can't remember anymore.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Yeah, I was reminiscing about smoking the other day. It's incredible the smoking we used to do and peeps would tolerate it like we had rights. Thankfully I quit ~10 or 12 years ago. Can't remember anymore.
I never ever started, but the air used to be thick with Dunhill smoke (not sure why that brand was 'the brand' but like sheep, they all bought them - high-end cigarettes in the 70's to go with the high end audio gear?). When I moved on in 1982, my B&O-centric boss smoked Rothmans King Size but never when with a client unless both smoked together. I was 'legend in my dem room' upstairs (Gawd I was an arrogant prat back then! - Whaddya mean I still am? :D )

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dunhill smoke (not sure why that brand was 'the brand' but like sheep, they all bought them - high-end cigarettes in the 70's to go with the high end audio gear?).
Here in Canada it was Players Navy Cut and Export A Navy Cut ciggies where all the rage and if different a pack of DuMaurier King Size or some menthols for a change.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here in Canada it was Players Navy Cut and Export A Navy Cut ciggies where all the rage and if different a pack of DuMaurier King Size or some menthols for a change.
Yes let's talk cigarettes it's much more interesting.

In the UK , until fairly recently, you could buy cigarettes in packs of ten as well as twenty. So you'd always ask for ten *Brand Name* or twenty *Brand Name*

I was in San Diego, went into a tobacconist and without thinking asked for 'Twenty Marlboro.' Despite the fact that the shop sold nothing but cigarettes the poor bloke was totally confused as to what I wanted.

I quickly realised my error and said, 'A pack of Marlboro please'.

'Here ya go buddy.'

Two nations separated by a common language.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Condemnation of these things never really leads to anything useful. All you get is the communities bonding through ridicule.

If you appreciate a deep dive into causality and the benefits that gives you, go to ASR. If that's just a buzzkill to you, go somewhere else.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A miscreant is a person who behaves badly — who lies, breaks the law, yells at puppies. It's a somewhat old-fashioned word, popular with old ladies shocked at having their purses stolen at the opera.

I've never yelled at puppies or had my purse stolen at the opera, no comment on the other two.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes let's talk cigarettes it's much more interesting.

In the UK , until fairly recently, you could buy cigarettes in packs of ten as well as twenty. So you'd always ask for ten *Brand Name* or twenty *Brand Name*

I was in San Diego, went into a tobacconist and without thinking asked for 'Twenty Marlboro.' Despite the fact that the shop sold nothing but cigarettes the poor bloke was totally confused as to what I wanted.

I quickly realised my error and said, 'A pack of Marlboro please'.

'Here ya go buddy.'

Two nations separated by a common language.
Lol... I was in Las Vegas craving a lungbuster from Canada. Canadian lungbusters taste very different than USA lungbusters and so I went to a international tobacconist and asked for Players Light. He assured me the British version of Players was navy cut and as good or better than a Players Light. I bought a pack for some outrageous price like 2.5x or 3x the usual expense. They where very very strong and no filter on the lungbusters. I gave them away and bought Marlboro. Good old Marlboro to the rescue. Dry smelling, dry tasting but somehow satisfying. :D

D

Deleted member 21219

Every day of every year, people from every walk of life search for something to make their life a little more interesting. Some buy bicycles, some go fishing, some try gambling and some look for audio equipment. Some of those who look for audio equipment are wealthy, and can afford high-priced gear. Most of them are not wealthy at all, and are looking to spend their money wisely.

This site is to help people avoid overpriced garbage. It's for people who want to know the truth. This site is to protect people from equipment that doesn't do what it is advertised to do. In particular, it's to let people know that there are a great number of hucksters out there trying to take their money.

This site is for the everyday Joe on the street who just wants to listen to music on good equipment and not get screwed. If someone is offended by that, then I'd say it brings their motives into question.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If someone is offended by that, it brings their motives into question.
I've attempted rationalizing and psychoanalyzing the little bit of reading that I did at the Audiogon webpage link. The feeling I was getting was that some peeps are left out at ASR because they don't have the acumen to hang at ASR, their approach gets them into unfamiliar waters and they get into friction here at ASR. Others are whiners and they just make mind spin about the horrible people at ASR. One peep was complaining about the music. :D

This site is for people who want to know the truth. This site is to help people avoid overpriced garbage. This site is to protect people from equipment that doesn't do what it is advertised to do. In particular, it's to let people know that there are a great number of hucksters out there trying to take their money.
Hear, hear! Well-stated. Thank you for stating this so succinctly. This is precisely what attracted me to this site, and has held my interest. Even here, there's plenty of gibberish, but it always gets called out.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Someone posted in a forum here with some nonsense about shaving CDs, destat'ing CDs, and the magical properties of certain well known and thoroughly discredited cable manufacturers, and then got called out on his nonsense by some of the membership here who don't suffer fools lightly. The posts got deleted. The user got banned.

The user then sought to vent their spleen on another forum where like-minded individual's comments act as a soothing balm to their bruised ego. They now feel better—or not. They continue to harbor feelings of ill will towards an entire group of individuals whose reality doesn't align with their's and cultivate their misguided views with others who share the same perceptions.

Do we have to defend what's said and done here? I think not. Reality is sometimes a tough pill to swallow and is obviously not for everyone.

DonR

Major Contributor
Someone posted in a forum here with some nonsense about shaving CDs, destat'ing CDs, and the magical properties of certain well known and thoroughly discredited cable manufacturers, and then got called out on his nonsense by some of the membership here who don't suffer fools lightly. The posts got deleted. The user got banned.

The user then sought to vent their spleen on another forum where like-minded individual's comments act as a soothing balm to their bruised ego. They now feel better—or not. They continue to harbor feelings of ill will towards an entire group of individuals whose reality doesn't align with their's and cultivate their misguided views with others who share the same perceptions.

Do we have to defend what's said and done here? I think not. Reality is sometimes a tough pill to swallow and is obviously not for everyone.
The Red Pill is large and uncomfortable... and a suppository. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom