• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiogon thread critical of ASR

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
aslan7

aslan7

Angry Audiogon Audiophools

Wow. I'm always amazed at the zealotry of belief and the rejection of science. Humans, as a whole, haven't evolved a bit in this regard... by looking around and reading the headlines... "Time's Up".
Worse yet, our Audiogon brethren have no understanding of science. They seem to think of it as some unchanging, inexorable, immutable thing that never evolves. I guess they never took a high school or college freshman course on rudimentary science. But that certainly doesn’t prevent them from sounding off!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Worse yet, our Audiogon brethren have no understanding of science. They seem to think of it as some unchanging, inexorable, immutable thing that never evolves. I guess they never took a high school or college freshman course on rudimentary science. But that certainly doesn’t prevent them from sounding off!

It's the standard group that piles into any thread against ASR with the same tired claims. Much, much butthurt. Maybe they will have their Mommies call Amir.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Pfff. Clearly the words of an amateur audiodimensiodivologist. Not a professional like what I is. A simple beta-loading of the quantum pathway coalesces the nexion to the phi-sigma. Trivial.
I guess you don't know what a nexion and angles have in common... ;)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The dominant posters there are so far down the well, they might as well be Scientologists. Consider it a badge of honor.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Neither I have the knowledge and expertise in physics or psychoacoustics to assert anything. But many people over here, starting with Amir, do. I can read, I can listen, and I can ask, though. :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Depend how it is constructed. Silver wire is cleaner sound than copper with similar build. It leave very little sound tail. My cables are all silver coated, shielded, thin teflon insulation.
Twice (at least) today you have pushed that little gem. It's just another version of "I have hearing good enough to detect the teeny differences that most of you can't*"

*Largely because they dont** exist.

** audibly

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just had an image that we're all peering into the abyss and seeing our own reflection... the audio geek's version of quantum entanglement. I'm gonna go listen to some music rather than this conversation inside my head... until gravity brings me back here... lol. :eek:

giphy.gif

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Probably someone drew attention to it already but there is a recent long thread on Audiogon that is highly critical of ASR. It was included in their last weekly summary of popular posts. I was extremely surprised and dismayed that some of the contributors bashed Amir, ASR, and ASR pundits. It is interesting reading provided that one doesn’t take it seriously.
Not read it but coming into a place like ASR from outside its very very easy to be dissuaded and condem the place out of hand and indeed if whats here is of no value to a person why shouldn't they do just that .

Just because folks here value something and are indoctrinated by the Norms and satisfaction of expectations a place like this can provide dose not mean everyone will or indeed should be .

Theres a lot of identity politics and projection that go on in these spaces online , here as significantly as anywhere else .

As a community you all shouldn't dismiss these outside views out of hand , keep questioning and keep trying to do better .

bogart

Forum Donor
There’s a fundamental bias in place of the primacy of gear to change the sound for folks who congregate to discuss at gear trading sites. CanuckAudioMart forum has similar attitudes, but these are folks talking with other folks whose hobby is more centered around exchanging and acquiring vs. understanding and learning.

Voices in these fora who bring an ASR point of view are loudly outnumbered, in the same way that we loudly outnumber them when they visit us here. In the end we get echo chambers and a bit less empathy.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Who cares what they think? I could give a Shite. Yawn. Let them continue to waste their money. We provide the facts and data for those who wish to learn and pay for products that actually perform, over walls of textual fantasies, and a pretty paint job. :rolleyes:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Who cares what they think? I could give a Shite. Yawn. Let them continue to waste their money. We provide the facts and data for those who wish to learn and pay for products that actually perform, over walls of textual fantasies, and a pretty paint job. :rolleyes:
+100

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Depend how it is constructed. Silver wire is cleaner sound than copper with similar build. It leave very little sound tail. My cables are all silver coated, shielded, thin teflon insulation.
That is ABSOLUTELY the WORST kind of cable!!!! - In my experience of course ;)

In my experience, *proper* solid silver conductors sound just like copper ones if the gauge is the same!!! Silver plated wires were 'odd' in my experience and often 'scrappy' up top. Once I discovered this, I forgot all about silver cable confections and never looked back.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Silver wire is cleaner sound than copper with similar build. It leave very little sound tail.

If you can really hear the difference in Johnson–Nyquist noise, you must be a god! Don't waste your time on this forum. Go create a new universe instead :D

DSJR

Major Contributor
There is only one subjective cable review I will accept:

"the cable sounded so good that I needed a cigarette after listening to it." ;)
When I started out in 1973, nearly all the audio-store staff smoked 'on the floor' and I remember in the big store I started at in 1974, we had all the gear set into a 'Ladderax-style' modular furniture system pulled out from the fulll length windows behind so one could walk around the back to do connections. ALL the cables had a tarry like substance stuck to them, making them smelly and sticky (Dunhill International ciggies were the coffin-nails of choice then).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom