• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping M50

rarewolf

yes, you might be right... I was searching some information but on the specs it's not written 'hdmi'... so I believe some conversion is necessary :(

I also have a Denon AVR. It seems to me you should be able to associate a different audio input with any HDMI input. But then, the Apple Tv would have to provide an alternative output, e.g., optical.

FuzzTone

It is i2s, the pinouts are in the manual. I haven't got around to trying it yet, I will. Although not universal the original setup from PS Audio has worked 100% for me. American, Euro and Asian.
I'm stuck on the HiBy app. The M50 manual claims it is a worthy BT remote for the M50 but it is NOT intuitive

Last edited:

FuzzTone

I also have a Denon AVR. It seems to me you should be able to associate a different audio input with any HDMI input. But then, the Apple Tv would have to provide an alternative output, e.g., optical.
It is l2s NOT hdmi. You are seemingly in another reality. Apple TV is a straw man.
The only disappointment is that the choice of output appears to be between i2s and SPDIF, apparently not both.

andytom1969

hi everyone, i installed an m50 and connected it to a dac topping 10s .. i use it in the machine with my system. Everything works great, very fast and with very good music. I have not encountered any problems between the devices. As a remote control of the songs I use Hiby on my smartphone. I wanted to ask, but I think it is a problem of the app, when connecting between smartphone and m50, every time the system starts with the volume at maximum, I searched in the settings of the m50 and in hiby without finding a solution, or rather in hiby c 'is something but only in the case of usb dac ..
Can anyone help me with some advice?
Thank you

navin

Topping Site, M50, Section Downloads, M50 User Manual.
TF Max. 256 GB
Hard Disk Max 4TB.
Do you have a link to where Topping's site or User Manual confirms it can be used with a 4TB Hard Disk? I assume this would also mean a 4TB SSD Disk? Thank you.

navin

That is quite another thing...
I understand it goes like 4TB for your settled ripped & downloaded music and then up to 256 GB for a friend arriving with some music either on TF cards or Flash disks...:):):):)

Well done, Topping.
How does it know if the USB device attached is a TF card, Pen Drive, SSD Drive or Hard Disk? Has anyone tested the M50 with a 4TB SSD Disk or a 512GB Pen Drive?

navin

i have 2 tb ssd on usb1 otg and dac on 2nd port , 512 gb micro sd , all work fine
You have a 2TB SSD on USB 1 (OTG) and a 512 GB TF card on the side, and both work? Awesome! Thanks.

Did you have to configure the USB 2 port as a digital output port? Thanks

andytom1969

the memory units, 2tb and sd 512gb are both displayed in the library both on the small display and in my Hiby remote smartphone. The second usb otg works simply with a dac, it should only be left the setting as optical digital dac.

rarewolf

hi everyone, i installed an m50 and connected it to a dac topping 10s .. i use it in the machine with my system. Everything works great, very fast and with very good music. I have not encountered any problems between the devices. As a remote control of the songs I use Hiby on my smartphone. I wanted to ask, but I think it is a problem of the app, when connecting between smartphone and m50, every time the system starts with the volume at maximum, I searched in the settings of the m50 and in hiby without finding a solution, or rather in hiby c 'is something but only in the case of usb dac ..
Can anyone help me with some advice?
Thank you

I believe the HiBy app should always connect with volume at maximum, and you should be controlling the volume with the final amplifier. Leastwise, that is the instruction provided by most DAC/Amp dongle manufacturers, and it should offer you more granular control of the volume.

It’s also considered best for the sound quality. Many believe quantatization errors can be the result of altering the digital PCM data before the DAC sees it, whether it’s volume control or an attempt at equalization. That is, save the volume control for the analog output.

Edit… and a question for you. I’m presently waiting for my M50, which I will be connecting to my Topping DX3Pro+. I’ll also be depending on the HiBy app and haven’t been able to find any information regarding what to expect. Did you find it intuitive? What are you connecting your M50 to? DLNA or hard drive?

Last edited:

navin

I see no purpose for the S.M.S.L. The iFI is a streamer, it requires internet and then gives you nested folder play -a totally different experience.
Are you referring to the SMSL SD 9? I believe it's pretty buggy, especially with network streaming (Spotify, Tidal etc.).
The iFi Zen Stream is far less buggy but has only USB and Coax outputs (for those would are looking for AES/EBU or I2S)
The M50 has I2S (no AES) but no LAN port hence is limited to local storage only.
The Cayin iDAC6 is an option that I have not seen being discussed.

andytom1969

hi rarewolf, hiby interface is very intuitive, this works in bluetooth with the M50 .. of course do y have pair. later you will see your memory supports in the music section. For example, I chose to view them in folders by removing the rest. some settings you can change them to hiby only when the m50 device is not connected .. even the color of the interface. in reality on hiby you have to select to use it as a slave during the connection so that you then sell the disks and any memory. I use this system in the car and the reconnection is fast enough when turned off. Many hyby swttings are only for a possible direct connected dac .. little in cado acts as a controller. For the maximum volume I tried to do something prika on m50 but then always comnada hiby which puts it at maximum at the start. This must find out. also for this volume the settings that hiby has are only in case of direct connection with a dac. little in the case of bluetooth controller .. I absolutely have to solve this because I risk breaking the speakers in the car. the scan between the folders is very fast and I have 2tb on my primary ssd on the 1 usb otg port. I had some trouble reading native dsds at the moment for this reading I selected d2p on the del.m50 menu. The m50 equalizer is useless but this was already understood from the operating chain

andytom1969

hi rarewolf, hiby interface is very intuitive, this works in bluetooth with the M50 .. of course you have to pair. later you will see your memory supports in the music section. For example, I chose to view them in folders by removing the rest. some settings you can change them to hiby only when the m50 device is not connected .. you can also do the interface color. in reality on hiby you have to select to use it as a slave during the connection so that then you see disks and any memory. I use this system in the car and the reconnection is fast enough when turned off. Many hyby settings are only for a possible dac connected directly to the hiby device .. then it acts as a controller .for the maximum volume I tried to do something or to check on the settings of m50 but then always commands hiby which puts it at maximum at the start .this I have to find out and solve . also for this volume problem the settings that hiby has are only in case of direct connection with a direct usb dac .. little can be controlled in case of bluetooth controller .. which I absolutely have to solve because I risk breaking the speakers in the car. the scan between the folders is very fast and I have 2tb on my primary ssd on the 1 usb otg port. I had some trouble reading native dsd at the moment for this reading I selected d2p on the del.m50 menu. The m50 equalizer is useless but this was already understood from the operating chain

FuzzTone

Are you referring to the SMSL SD 9? I believe it's pretty buggy, especially with network streaming (Spotify, Tidal etc.).
The iFi Zen Stream is far less buggy but has only USB and Coax outputs (for those would are looking for AES/EBU or I2S)
The M50 has I2S (no AES) but no LAN port hence is limited to local storage only.
The Cayin iDAC6 is an option that I have not seen being discussed.
Maybe because it is a DAC/Amp priced 2x+
of a E50/PA5.

rarewolf

Sorry for the long post…. I’m hoping for a link to a user guide for the HiBy Music app (iOS), and connecting it to DLNA. My confusion may be associated with either the setup for the M50 or with the HiByLink app, so I’d be particularly interested in hearing from someone using the M50 as I’m trying to do.

My Topping M50 streamer is presently set up for and logged into my LAN. It is configured for HiByLink and DLNA, and USB mode

I’ve run the HiBy app, and I’ve connected to the M50 via HibyLink… but questions remain…

Primary question… how do I list available DLNA servers, and select one (I have 2, JRiver and MinimServer on a NAS)? That is, the app provides for “import music from wifi” but where it takes me does not seem to be associated with DLNA. I was expecting to see a list of DLNA servers, and to log on from there.

What is the app’s login for? That is, there’s no association with anything. What am I registering for? I realize I’ll have to log into my DLNA, but expected that later and after selecting it from the list (2). I did register, but the app responded in Chinese and I cannot seem to change the language, so I’m confused.

Lastly… the problems I’m having may also be associated with a misunderstanding of the M50 streamer. I’ve connected the M50’s USB-A OTG port with the USB input for my DX3Pro+ DAC/amp, but the HiBy app wants to play music output via my iPad and not via the DAC/amp. My confusion might be over the M50’s OTG USB-A ports versus the USB-C DAC port, as well as the M50’s USB vs DAC setting, as well as confusion regarding the terms “OTG” and “bridge mode”

Please advise… and TIA :)

FuzzTone

Sorry for the long post…. I’m hoping for a link to a user guide for the HiBy Music app (iOS), and connecting it to DLNA. My confusion may be associated with either the setup for the M50 or with the HiByLink app, so I’d be particularly interested in hearing from someone using the M50 as I’m trying to do.

My Topping M50 streamer is presently set up for and logged into my LAN. It is configured for HiByLink and DLNA, and USB mode

I’ve run the HiBy app, and I’ve connected to the M50 via HibyLink… but questions remain…

Primary question… how do I list available DLNA servers, and select one (I have 2, JRiver and MinimServer on a NAS)? That is, the app provides for “import music from wifi” but where it takes me does not seem to be associated with DLNA. I was expecting to see a list of DLNA servers, and to log on from there.

What is the app’s login for? That is, there’s no association with anything. What am I registering for? I realize I’ll have to log into my DLNA, but expected that later and after selecting it from the list (2). I did register, but the app responded in Chinese and I cannot seem to change the language, so I’m confused.

Lastly… the problems I’m having may also be associated with a misunderstanding of the M50 streamer. I’ve connected the M50’s USB-A OTG port with the USB input for my DX3Pro+ DAC/amp, but the HiBy app wants to play music output via my iPad and not via the DAC/amp. My confusion might be over the M50’s OTG USB-A ports versus the USB-C DAC port, as well as the M50’s USB vs DAC setting, as well as confusion regarding the terms “OTG” and “bridge mode”

No help here. HiBy is inscrutable to me. It seems to be made to play only on its own device (like the phone, yuck.) I am happy with the onboard interface for playing local (files.); set it and forget it. I will not even try DLNA since I have no use for it. I sold my Synology. I can add/subtract to my remote SSDs in WiFi on all my streamers, a much more robust system (in my experience) for loading snd selecting any particular track or folder.
My DX3+ is only a spare I got for when my Schiit DAC failed. I enjoy an E50 much more.

iOS and DLNA? Who you crappin'?
Try reading the manual. OTG/USB-C is for input. No mention of any output capabilities.
I tried it with an SSD, NO 5V is supplied like the USB-As do. It won't even run a flash drive. It would probably work with a powered HD. Or a phone (the original OtG). Yuck. I see no reason to try it.
Good luck for getting anything out of the M50 more than it being a stand alone non network player with onboard and remote control.
Unless hitting dead ends is your thing.
Bridge mode is for hooking up a PC/tablet in series. Only a consumer of bad sound would want to do that. And someone who likes to be tethered to it and chained to a pole.

Last edited:

rarewolf

As a follow-up… I just noticed that in using the HyBy app, the M50 manual implies using Airplay for the iOS app, and using DLNA for the Android app. That is, it never occurred to me the iOS app cannot be used for DLNA. Anyone know for sure?

FuzzTone

As a follow-up… I just noticed that in using the HyBy app, the M50 manual implies using Airplay for the iOS app, and using DLNA for the Android app. That is, it never occurred to me the iOS app cannot be used for DLNA. Anyone know for sure?
Of course Apple don't play DLNA. Or it wouldn't work with any others.

Top Bottom