• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping M50

FuzzTone

You’re correct. Sometimes @FuzzTone doesn’t consider all the angles…

… and there is no reason why the M50 will not work with DLNA via HiByLink with Andoid smartphone control. Topping’s marketing was just a bit misleading relative to what iOS would be capable of…

#jussayin
Except for the fact that defeats its purpose. Why control it via network when you get that PLUS streaming with a $50 Raspberry Pi? Besides I abandoned DNLA years ago. Too much bother. SSDs via USB-A sound better to me. You are welcome to do things the hard way. Oh, that's right, you can't.

FuzzTone

If your ISP goes down, can't you at least play files from a USB hard drive?

Besides, if your ISP goes down, wouldn't that affect all streamers that connect to Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal etc? For example, streamers like the
Ifi Audio's Zen Stream would be similarly affected.
What a question! Too hard to disconnect your modem and try it first?

FuzzTone

That doesn’t make sense to me. After all, the HiBy app is telling the M50 to access DLNA, not the iOS device…
Apple never signed on to the Digital Alliance. That's all I meant.
I had no problems with connecting the M50 to my LAN (except for entering my password on such a small screen). What the M50, or its successor, needs is its own in-house developed app for controlling access to DLNA. However, if Topping has any shortcomings it’s software access for controlling all of their devices…
Enjoy.

rarewolf

Except for the fact that defeats its purpose. Why control it via network when you get that PLUS streaming with a $50 Raspberry Pi? Besides I abandoned DNLA years ago. Too much bother. SSDs via USB-A sound better to me. You are welcome to do things the hard way. Oh, that's right, you can't.

I had no problem with replacing the functionality the M50, although it would’ve been a much more elegant permanent solution if it worked with iOS. I replaced the functionality with a LG G8 smartphone, the upside is that it’s a better portable solution than my iPhone, the only downside being I have to disconnect it from my DX3P+ for charging. I’m don’t know anything about the problems you had with DLNA, but UAPP finds and works with my server easily, but it’s short of being as fast as JRiver access.

I considered a Pi for working with DLNA and JRiver, but have you tried shopping for one lately.

navin

Try it. Just unplug your modem. The only streamers that might work will have on-board controls. None of my six do. All control apps require networking which requires internet. Surprise.
I did not understand this. I assumed ALL streamers need the internet to stream from.

I had no problems with connecting the M50 to my LAN (except for entering my password on such a small screen). What the M50, or its successor, needs is its own in-house developed app for controlling access to DLNA. However, if Topping has any shortcomings it’s software access for controlling all of their devices…
The M50 does not have a LAN port, so we cant connect it to a wired router. The idea of using a wired connection to a router meant that one could connect USB drives to the router (most routers have this function) and use the router as a NAS.

navin

I considered a Pi for working with DLNA and JRiver, but have you tried shopping for one lately.
Instead of the RPi, one can use an Allo USBridge. It is also based on the RPI CM3.

How easy is it to stream from an M50? What does one need to stream Spotify (or Amazon Music or Tidal) from an M50?

Do the USB ports on the M50 support 4TB SSD drives?

Thanks.

P.S. I wish the M50 had a LAN port like the Ifi Zen Stream.

rarewolf

I did not understand this. I assumed ALL streamers need the internet to stream from.

You only need a LAN unless you’re after a service like Tidal
The M50 does not have a LAN port, so we cant connect it to a wired router. The idea of using a wired connection to a router meant that one could connect USB drives to the router (most routers have this function) and use the router as a NAS.

The router would assign an IP address to the USB?

rarewolf

Instead of the RPi, one can use an Allo USBridge. It is also based on the RPI CM3.

How easy is it to stream from an M50? What does one need to stream Spotify (or Amazon Music or Tidal) from an M50?

Thanks.

I had looked into the Pi for running JRiver, but didn’t get far…

Sorry, but I was focussed only on one thing when auditioning the M50, and returned it before exploring its other functionality

FuzzTone

I had no problem with replacing the functionality the M50, although it would’ve been a much more elegant permanent solution if it worked with iOS. I replaced the functionality with a LG G8 smartphone, the upside is that it’s a better portable solution than my iPhone, the only downside being I have to disconnect it from my DX3P+ for charging. I’m don’t know anything about the problems you had with DLNA, but UAPP finds and works with my server easily, but it’s short of being as fast as JRiver access.

No. I got in late but not this late. The last one came from Best buy for $38.
The M50 keeps playing when you leave with your phone, the way I like it.

FuzzTone

Thanks.

I have an Allo USBridge. It's just a Ras Pi in a custom case. Equivalent to my Raspberry Pi 3 in SQThe M50 might support 4TB SSDs but it will not pass enough power for any more than a 512 GB. But the card slot supports at least a 512 GB. It just loads slower than a SSD.
What makes you think that a non network player could stream? You are barking up the wrong tree.
What you "need" is an actual streamer. The only Chinese I see doing that is Auralic. No needy.

navin

What makes you think that a non network player could stream? You are barking up the wrong tree.
What you "need" is an actual streamer. The only Chinese I see doing that is Auralic. No needy.
Auralic is very expensive. The iFi Zen Stream and Mercury Streamer from Pi2AES are cheaper.

From what I understand, the iFi Zen works only via the SPDIF output and not via USB (it does not have I2S or AES). The Mercury Streamer is too new for any feedback.

FuzzTone

For USB out a Ras Pi, Pro-Ject S2 Ultra or an Allo USBridge. For i2s a Magna Mano Ultra with built in LPS and choice of SPDIF.

navin

For USB out a Ras Pi, Pro-Ject S2 Ultra or an Allo USBridge. For i2s a Magna Mano Ultra with built in LPS and choice of SPDIF.
Thanks. The Magna Mano Ultra is about $1000.

Is there nothing under $600 that has I2S output to a DAC and a LAN port to connect to a router? I know the SMSL SD-9 exists at $400, but it is known to be very buggy. Does anyone have any views on the Cayin i-DAP 6? I have never seen it discussed on any forum.

rarewolf

Is there nothing under $600 that has I2S output to a DAC and a LAN port to connect to a router? I know the SMSL SD-9 exists at $400, but it is known to be very buggy. Does anyone have any views on the Cayin i-DAP 6? I have never seen it discussed on any forum.

If a hard wifi connect wasn’t one of your requirements id suggest dedicating a smartphone or inexpensive DAP…

FuzzTone

I have no clue where you're at but they will ship the Mano Ultra to the USA for ~$850. That's the cheapest i2s out that I know of. Rob & Jos are a dream to work with. They ship fast via DHL
I do not know why you mention the SD-9. It is NOT a streamer. It is the worst of both worlds. A player only the requires a network. The best of both worlds is the Hifi Rose RS250. It streams with or plays with/OR without a network, including a touchscreen and a remote. I've seen them for ~$2000 delivered stateside with a 2T SSD onboard. I'm willing to bet that you can load music on it via the network.

Last edited:

navin

If a hard wifi connect wasn’t one of your requirements id suggest dedicating a smartphone or inexpensive DAP…
I am old school (I graduated college before the Personal Computer was a thing), and hence I like my stereo to be a fixed item. Much like my TV's set-top box. Several years ago, I learned to use EAC and ripped all my CDs to FLAC. I now have about 2TB of nicely ripped and catalogued music on a hard disk. Eventually, my nephew and son "shamed" me into getting Spotify and Amazon Music - Tidal is coming but still unavailable in India.

I was gifted a pair of Topping D70s DACs (one for each room I have a system in), so I got the DAC part sorted. Now I am looking for a "box" (some call it a streamer, some call it a server) that can (a) connect to this DAC via I2S (I hear it's the cleanest connection), (b) read files of the USB drive (I have USB equipped routers near each system so can even use it as a NAS), and (c) connect to the internet so it can stream from Spotify / Tidal etc.

I do not know why you mention the SD-9. It is NOT a streamer. It is the worst of both worlds. A player only the requires a network. The best of both worlds is the Hifi Rose RS250. It streams with or plays with/OR without a network, including a touchscreen and a remote. I've seen them for ~$2000 delivered stateside with a 2T SSD onboard. I'm willing to bet that you can load music on it via the network.

Oh, I didn't know the SD-9 is not a streamer. Maybe my definitions are all mixed up. Pardon my age. The following are my definitions for both. Please correct them.

1. (Music) Streamer - a device that can "stream" music from Spotify, Tidal, Amazon Music
2. (Music) Server - a device that can "serve" music stored locally - either on a LAN (NAS) or USB hard drive.

I have a friend who has the Hifi Rose. It's beautiful, but it is silly expensive (about $4500 locally on order only). To give you a point of reference, the iFi Zen Stream and SD 9 cost about $450 locally, which is within my budget. The Topping M50 is not yet available. The Silent Angel Bremen B1T (see link below) costs about $900, and the Munich M1T (4GB) is about $1300.

FuzzTone

I am old school (I graduated college before the Personal Computer was a thing), and hence I like my stereo to be a fixed item. Much like my TV's set-top box. Several years ago, I learned to use EAC and ripped all my CDs to FLAC. I now have about 2TB of nicely ripped and catalogued music on a hard disk. Eventually, my nephew and son "shamed" me into getting Spotify and Amazon Music - Tidal is coming but still unavailable in India.

I was gifted a pair of Topping D70s DACs (one for each room I have a system in), so I got the DAC part sorted. Now I am looking for a "box" (some call it a streamer, some call it a server) that can (a) connect to this DAC via I2S (I hear it's the cleanest connection), (b) read files of the USB drive (I have USB equipped routers near each system so can even use it as a NAS), and (c) connect to the internet so it can stream from Spotify / Tidal etc.

Oh, I didn't know the SD-9 is not a streamer. Maybe my definitions are all mixed up. Pardon my age. The following are my definitions for both. Please correct them.

1. (Music) Streamer - a device that can "stream" music from Spotify, Tidal, Amazon Music
2. (Music) Server - a device that can "serve" music stored locally - either on a LAN (NAS) or USB hard drive.

I have a friend who has the Hifi Rose. It's beautiful, but it is silly expensive (about $4500 locally on order only). To give you a point of reference, the iFi Zen Stream and SD 9 cost about $450 locally, which is within my budget. The Topping M50 is not yet available. The Silent Angel Bremen B1T (see link below) costs about $900, and the Munich M1T (4GB) is about $1300.
It just doesn't look like a streamer. A poster on another forum claims that it is. With no credibility. But I see NO mention of any music services in SD-9 product literature. Maybe you CAN do it but I would not even try. And I have set up 6 different ones with no big problems. The lit states "output to a balanced amp with AES/EBU." This is insane! All AES/EBU is is pro "balanced" SPDIF. Nothing whatsoever to do with a balanced amp. I go AES/EBU from my miniDSP Studio to a DAC, then balanced to my preamp. It
I wouldn't touch it but you are free to try.
Here at least it's sold by APOS who gives you a 30 day trial. You might need all of that to get any hifi out of it.
Try Analogue Seduction out of UK. They ship worldwide, £ is down. Closer to $2000 now for the RS-150 sans VAT.

navin

It just doesn't look like a streamer.
Does this look like a Streamer? It does not have a USB port for a hard drive for local files, but it does have a LAN port that can be connected to a router/NAS.

rarewolf

Does this look like a Streamer? It does not have a USB port for a hard drive for local files, but it does have a LAN port that can be connected to a router/NAS.

I wish its description included how it connects to a NAS. That is, it doesn’t mention any app of its own that would manage access, management, or selecting. Also, I would think any “streamer” worth the definition would include access to streams like Tidal or Qobuz…

navin

I wish its description included how it connects to a NAS. That is, it doesn’t mention any app of its own that would manage access, management, or selecting. Also, I would think any “streamer” worth the definition would include access to streams like Tidal or Qobuz…
They have an app in the link below.

The Orbiter is designed for the M1, and M1T and the Lite is for the B1, B2, and B1T.

The M1T looks pretty capable from the diagram in the link below.

Top Bottom