• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What gear you wouldn't buy because of its name or cult status.

Toblerone

That is an old font from the foundation of the company decades ago way before any gangster 5th graders were born. Based on old gothic/traditional fonts. Classic timelessness is implied by using such a font. People on various forums have been trying to find out what it is for ages so they can make their own replacement glass front panels.
Timelessness… it might be the ugliest font/logo I’ve ever seen..

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That is an old font from the foundation of the company decades ago way before any gangster 5th graders were born. Based on old gothic/traditional fonts. Classic timelessness is implied by using such a font. People on various forums have been trying to find out what it is for ages so they can make their own replacement glass front panels.
True. (But) the McIntosh of old was a rather different company than the lifestyle McIntosh of today, other than the logo.

McIntosh, early on, leveraged ;) the trope of the thrifty Scotsman -- they've left the concept of high-value products behind, a long long time ago.
Aesthetically, their stuff has always been jumbled -- Mac components of the 60s, 70s and even 80s mostly looked like the product of engineers rather than designers.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
It’s old enough to not be a “font” but simply a graphic design.
So, you know 'font' dates from the 16th century (derived from the French fondre as letters were cast from molten metal, replacing materials like wood).

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, you know 'font' dates from the 16th century (derived from the French fondre as letters were cast from molten metal, replacing materials like wood).
Do not disagree, but I was just emphasizing that the logo was probably not created as a fully developed typeface.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Do not disagree, but I was just emphasizing that the logo was probably not created as a fully developed typeface.
weeeeeeeeelllllll...

1280px-Calligraphy.malmesbury.bible.arp.jpg

;)

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"cool, old-style logo..."

I must add, what was cool in 1949 is not necessarily what is cool in 2022! Here is the first graphic I can find of the logo, which changed a bit in the details in the first few years but has pretty much stayed consistent ever since.

mccontest5.jpg

For the record, I am a fan of classically designed Mac gear, but my beer budget doesn't facilitate champagne tastes very often!

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Timelessness… it might be the ugliest font/logo I’ve ever seen..
I agree that it is ugly and it also doesn’t convey Scottishness…. more like the Third Reich. The font in the old ad above is not the same. They probably needed an actual font for the print process.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I get what you mean now, yes it's possible it was drawn up by a graphic artist as a logo/logotype and didn't use a pre-existing font. The intertubes don't appear to identify a specific font either way.

Last edited:

Slayer

I would not purchase Topping.
Due to quality control (possible design flaws), the hoops one needs to jump through for support and repair. The lack of communications on this site and others when there are obvious product issues. Yet they (John) more than willing to chime in when they get a glowing SINAD review.
I realize all companies have products that fail, but how you deal with those failures along with customer service is what helps me determine what i purchase.

deniall83

I wouldn't rush out to buy anything from PS Audio. I don't particularly like Schiit either. Wouldn't buy anything from Audioquest or Synergistic Research or any other scam audio company either. Also, Zu Audio speakers :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

DMill

Forum Donor
I get what you mean now, yes it's possible it was drawn up by a graphic artist as a logo/logotype and didn't use a pre-existing font. The intertubes don't appear to identify a specific font either way.
It is iconic. Mc should not change it any more than Coca Cola should change theirs. We can certainly dispute the value of Mcintosh gear but their branding is ownable and envied by any other audio company. I say this as ad guy of over 25 years. Any problems Mc has have nothing to do with their logo and could be solved with gear that is in line with their pedigree.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't rush out to buy anything from PS Audio. I don't particularly like Schiit either. Wouldn't buy anything from Audioquest or Synergistic Research or any other scam audio company either.

I would not purchase Topping.
Due to quality control (possible design flaws), the hoops one needs to jump through for support and repair. The lack of communications on this site and others when there are obvious product issues. Yet they (John) more than willing to chime in when they get a glowing SINAD review.

Hmm, I own DACs from both Schiit and Topping and have had no problems from either. In fact, the "name" that most influenced those purchase decisions was ASR!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
so, this history of the Mac logo thing triggered me ;)

Here's the earliest Mac ad I could find (Nov. 1949):

1655855755040.png

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/I...-IDX/IDX/40s/Audio-1949-Nov-OCR-Page-0058.pdf

Here's a better look, from March, 1951. Clearly business had been good enough to up their advertising budget!
Besides the size and complexity of the ad, they've moved from the back pages to the front pages of Audio magazine. :)

1655855967542.png

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/I...-IDX/IDX/50s/Audio-1951-Mar-OCR-Page-0006.pdf

Also: Clearly Mac wrote the book on preamplifier design ;) :facepalm:

1655856143154.png

Note the form factor of the preamp (at least, as depicted in the ad)! :)
source: https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/I...-IDX/IDX/50s/Audio-1950-Feb-OCR-Page-0050.pdf

and, finally -- this was probably a fairly important publication :)
From Audio Dec. 1949

1655856314903.png

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/40s/Audio-1949-Dec.pdf

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Props for the screenshot from one of the best and most underrated films of all time! Pauline Karl declared it one of the best films of its kind ever made, and she was spot on. Philip Kaufman rocks.
One of the best movies of the 1970's, the true golden age of US cinema.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so, this history of the Mac logo thing triggered me ;)

Here's the earliest Mac ad I could find (Nov. 1949):

View attachment 214015
source: https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/I...-IDX/IDX/40s/Audio-1949-Nov-OCR-Page-0058.pdf

Here's a better look, from March, 1951. Clearly business had been good enough to up their advertising budget!
Besides the size and complexity of the ad, they've moved from the back pages to the front pages of Audio magazine. :)

View attachment 214016

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/I...-IDX/IDX/50s/Audio-1951-Mar-OCR-Page-0006.pdf

Also: Clearly Mac wrote the book on preamplifier design ;) :facepalm:

View attachment 214017
Note the form factor of the preamp (at least, as depicted in the ad)! :)
source: https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/I...-IDX/IDX/50s/Audio-1950-Feb-OCR-Page-0050.pdf

and, finally -- this was probably a fairly important publication :)
From Audio Dec. 1949

View attachment 214018

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/40s/Audio-1949-Dec.pdf
Damn, I miss Audio magazine.

Top Bottom