• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

kanjerkoe

Has anyone tried connecting their smartphone with an usb-c output into the usb-c input of their SU-6? Can you connect it that way and play music from your smartphone instead of connecting it with bluetooth.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone tried connecting their smartphone with an usb-c output into the usb-c input of their SU-6? Can you connect it that way and play music from your smartphone instead of connecting it with bluetooth.
It should works. The problem is the driver from smartphone.

However, since it has bluetooth, shouldn't be really necessary. Only if you want above typical CD quality, and for that I would recommend a raspi (if you don't have a computer).

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It should but I could never get it to work and so I had to pay $28 to send it back to Shenzhen audio in China to get it fixed.

Masterbrewer

Acerun, I think you wasted $28. I doubt if the problem is with the SU-6. You phone must be able to route the audio to the usb jack also the cable you use must have the capability to pass data. Some cables are charge only. Good luck.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Acerun, I think you wasted $28. I doubt if the problem is with the SU-6. You phone must be able to route the audio to the usb jack also the cable you use must have the capability to pass data. Some cables are charge only. Good luck.
We'll see. I tried multiple cables and multiple phones. I even bought an Oculus-approved cable to make certain that I was using a cable that was made for data transfer...

Masterbrewer

If your using an Android phone I believe there are 3 apps that let you route the native audio through your phone usb to your DAC. The one I know of is USB Audio Player Pro. It's available on the app store. It might help you with what you want.

gabrielzt

Hi guys! I recently bought a SMSL SU-6 to use as a preamp along with the Rotel RB-1080 power. I intend to use practically 99% bluetooth to listen to music, my question is if it will work the way I expect, being able to control the volume through the remote control? Thanks for the help direct from Brazil!

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys! I recently bought a SMSL SU-6 to use as a preamp along with the Rotel RB-1080 power. I intend to use practically 99% bluetooth to listen to music, my question is if it will work the way I expect, being able to control the volume through the remote control? Thanks for the help direct from Brazil!
The unit has a remote control that includes volume control.

gabrielzt

The unit has a remote control that includes volume control.
Yes, it is that nowhere did I find anything saying that it could be used as a preamp like several other SMLS or Topping DACs connected directly to the amplifier.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it is that nowhere did I find anything saying that it could be used as a preamp like several other SMLS or Topping DACs connected directly to the amplifier.
The unit has RCA outs that you can connect to an amplifier or to powered speakers. Bluetooth signal in and then out through RCAs. LDAC sounds great on the SU-6.

bcn

Hello. Has anyone tried connecting CD transport via SPDIF to SMSL SU-6? Does it have dropouts (CD/DVD players jitter problems) like Topping E30? Thnx.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello. Has anyone tried connecting CD transport via SPDIF to SMSL SU-6? Does it have dropouts (CD/DVD players jitter problems) like Topping E30? Thnx.
Haven't tried with a transport, although I could make the set up if nobody answers. What I can say is that with the TV toslink output there are zero problems.

Reactions: bcn

pieterv1

I've used the Topping E30 for about a year and now the SMSL SU-6 with a Onkyo DX-C390 CD changer without any issues so far

TNT

Working very good on the tightest PLL setting fed by toslink from a Squeezbox Touch. Also tried it on a Oppo CD player - no problems.

//

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A note of warning should you need to send anything back to Shenzhen Audio. The mail in China is a disaster in the current covid environment there. My SU-6 has been stuck in Beijing for weeks and Shenzhen says items have been stuck there for 3 to 4 months...

Nick_L

Forum Donor
A USB-C to USB-C data cable also does not work for me. But I found something interesting: @Acerun @Masterbrewer @Gradius

It is not an issue with the DAC as such but with the cable/smartphone... Using a Samsung USB-A to USB-C adapter connected to the smartphone (Samsung S10) and using a "standard USB-A to USB-C" cable is working like a charm. All audio is routed through the DAC to my audio system.

But it only works if the adapter is connected to the smartphone. If you connect the adapter to the DAC and connect the cable the other way round does not work.

cables.jpg

I am not an expert in cables but I would like to understand the differences!

Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A USB-C to USB-C data cable also does not work for me. But I found something interesting: @Acerun @Masterbrewer @Gradius

It is not an issue with the DAC as such but with the cable/smartphone... Using a Samsung USB-A to USB-C adapter connected to the smartphone (Samsung S10) and using a "standard USB-A to USB-C" cable is working like a charm. All audio is routed through the DAC to my audio system.

But it only works if the adapter is connected to the smartphone. If you connect the adapter to the DAC and connect the cable the other way round does not work.

View attachment 208659

I am not an expert in cables but I would like to understand the differences!
wow. Will need to experiment with that... In about 6 months when Shenzhen audio returns my unit...

Top Bottom