• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

Jerderv

I'm still looking for a DAC for my TV with my JBL 305p MII, and I'm worried about preamp performance!?
I started with E30, and I canceled my order for this matter, and I did read about DX30pro+ and I didn't love the reviews about it (in the pre-amp perspective).
And now I'm reading about SU-6, so do you recommend it?
I will use it directly: TV>optical>SU-6> JBL 305 (controlled by the remote).
Im running TV>Optical>SU-6>amps/dsp>speakers/subwoofer. The volume control works well and im happy with how the setup is working. I really wish the amazon firestick could control the SU-6 volume. The firestick had an IR profile that worked great with my SMSL q5 pro. When i would power on the tv it would also power on the Q5 pro and the volume control would turn the amp up and down. Worked great only needed one remote. Now im back to two remotes one for the tv/firestick and one for the stereo. Hopefully amazon will had the new IR profile for the SU-6.

pieterv1

Screnshot from my Pixel6 LDAC via Quboz...looks like it can
Not sure what you're trying to show with the screenshot?
Doesn't really matter what bitrate is showing up in the app..

That's an indication for the quality of the source material, but in the end, the audio sent from the phone to the DAC over LDAC will be encoded to 330, 660 or 990Kbps.

And the Pixel 6 lineup (including mine) has widespread issues with LDAC playback at the highest quality.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Hey guys, new member and occasional lurker here. I thought it was high time to try one of the latest ASR-recommended under $200 DACs and decided on the SU-6. It’s supposed to arrive today.

A little background .. I’ve been mostly in the NOS multibit camp for the past several years. I realize, of course, DAC technology has advanced tremendously since my last DAC purchase 4 years ago, hence the desire to hear for myself an inexpensive well-measured DAC. As it happens, my last DAC purchase was the MHDT Lab Pagoda. I’m sure y’all realize the Pagoda has the dubious distinction of being the worst measuring DAC in ASR history and costs approximately 10 times the SU-6. I have a few older DACs laying around as well, including Chord and Schiit.

Initially I’ll be using the latest Bluesound Node (N130) in the mix. I’ll also drag out my Sonore microRendu to test all bit/sample rates and DSD. Should be interesting, if not enlightening, no? Fun.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys, new member and occasional lurker here. I thought it was high time to try one of the latest ASR-recommended under $200 DACs and decided on the SU-6. It’s supposed to arrive today.

A little background .. I’ve been mostly in the NOS multibit camp for the past several years. I realize, of course, DAC technology has advanced tremendously since my last DAC purchase 4 years ago, hence the desire to hear for myself an inexpensive well-measured DAC. As it happens, my last DAC purchase was the MHDT Lab Pagoda. I’m sure y’all realize the Pagoda has the dubious distinction of being the worst measuring DAC in ASR history and costs approximately 10 times the SU-6. I have a few older DACs laying around as well, including Chord and Schiit.

Initially I’ll be using the latest Bluesound Node (N130) in the mix. I’ll also drag out my Sonore microRendu to test all bit/sample rates and DSD. Should be interesting, if not enlightening, no? Fun.
Hopefully paramedics are nearby and able to quickly respond. You may be shocked at what you discover. Best of luck

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Hopefully paramedics are nearby and able to quickly respond. You may be shocked at what you discover. Best of luck

LOL .. maybe I'll just take a Xanax first. Thanks.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
The DAC arrived yesterday. I connected it to the Node via coax (mostly out of convenience) and played some familiar music at various bit/sample rates to get a feel for the various settings. I really like the filter options and hear a difference between them. I had a few streaming glitches which were easily solved via a DPLL setting change .. thank you @amirm for pointing this out in the review. I'll be taking my time testing this little box but right off the bat I'm impressed.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Medic .. I need a medic!

After just a couple of days with this little DAC I’ve decided to relegate my other DACs to storage. I can hardly believe I just wrote that, but there it is. My original intent was to put the SU-6 through the paces, swapping amps/streamers/DACs, but there’s simply no need.

Current system:
Bluesound Node (N130)
SMSL SU-6
Odyssey Cyclops (SE+ with ps upgrade)
Mark & Daniel Maximus-Ruby loudspeakers
Omega DeepHemp 8 Subwoofer

san

I'm a newbie. Please suggest which Dac should I buy.

Topping E30 or S.M.S.L SU-6 which one should I buy???

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what you're trying to show with the screenshot?
Doesn't really matter what bitrate is showing up in the app..

That's an indication for the quality of the source material, but in the end, the audio sent from the phone to the DAC over LDAC will be encoded to 330, 660 or 990Kbps.

And the Pixel 6 lineup (including mine) has widespread issues with LDAC playback at the highest quality.
So how do you know whether the DAC is receiving 330, 660 or 990?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using LDAC into an Ifi Zen Blue, then coax to the SU-6 and streaming with Qobuz. App says I'm streaming 44.1. Zen Blue says LDAC and blue light for 44/48. SU-6 says 96. How do square that? SU-6 simply showing wrong rate?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220319-091158.png
    Screenshot_20220319-091158.png
    431.2 KB · Views: 82
  • PXL_20220319_161432661.jpg
    PXL_20220319_161432661.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 83
  • PXL_20220319_161423994.jpg
    PXL_20220319_161423994.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 94

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone tried to find a firmware update? I went to the site listed in the manual and there doesn't seem to be any updates for DACs.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone tried to find a firmware update? I went to the site listed in the manual and there doesn't seem to be any updates for DACs.
Topping Download page
It will be in that list if there is an firmware update for it... it's a DAC don't expect many if any updates unless some serious issues come to light.

I'm using LDAC into an Ifi Zen Blue, then coax to the SU-6 and streaming with Qobuz. App says I'm streaming 44.1. Zen Blue says LDAC and blue light for 44/48. SU-6 says 96. How do square that? SU-6 simply showing wrong rate?
Why go through the iFi, why connect a DAC to DAC? Why not connecting directly to the SU-6?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping Download page
It will be in that list if there is an firmware update for it... it's a DAC don't expect many if any updates unless some serious issues come to light.

Why go through the iFi, why connect a DAC to DAC? Why not connecting directly to the SU-6?
Because Pixel 6 has audio out issues that won't be resolved until Summer, and this system is in my garage and I like the wireless freedom. Per Amir, quality should equal USB with bluetooth via Ifi w digital out to SU-6.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Because Pixel 6 has audio out issues that won't be resolved until Summer, and this system is in my garage and I like the wireless freedom. Per Amir, quality should equal USB with bluetooth via Ifi w digital out to SU-6.
Perhaps I don't understand you correctly but I'm still not really sure why you don't directly stream to the SU-6's LDAC capable Bluetooth receiver.
What is the purpose of the ifi in this particular setup?

Top Bottom