• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS Audio FR30 speakers

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
1651770026459.jpeg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Quite, they also don’t exactly plumb the depths in terms of bass.
Keith

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Quite, they also don’t exactly plumb the depths in terms of bass.
Keith
Yes, but we don't know if that is room related. Anyway, that frequency response appear very "wacky". I would say that anything above 1 kHz has more shaking than a San Andreas fault on the move.

Where did you get this from?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hi-Fi News review posted on another forum, the OP wanted it shared here, I obliged, how much are these?
Keith

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I'm really surprised by that very top-heavy response. I honestly expected this speaker to be quite good. Obviously that's not the case.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
It could very well be that Paul's hearing is shot. That would explain the increased high end sparkle. But, I will wait to pass judgment until Amir tests them.

Reactions: thd

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
It could very well be that Paul's hearing is shot. That would explain the increased high end sparkle. But, I will wait to pass judgment until Amir tests them.
I would think that all those younger people around him would point out that something is amiss with the HF response and talk some sense into him.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well glad to know that with REW and a UMIK microphone I have done a way more scientific and objective setup of my system than an afternoon with Paul and likely many other hifi enthusiasts.
”99% of systems couldn’t resolve that something going on in the background”

”the bi-wiring (c’mon over Paul and show the back of the speaker) allows you to use wiring that (gobbledygook)”

That video is just overflowing with nonsense.

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
The review is not available online yet. Paul will not be happy. I wonder what Chris is thinking, he is the one that insisted on that mid and tweeter. Maybe some hand waving will "resolve" this.

Interestingly, it seems that the distortion at 100 Hz is not that bad (maybe my reference is "missing" today).

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The review is not available online yet. Paul will not be happy. I wonder what Chris is thinking, he is the one that insisted on that mid and tweeter. Maybe some hand waving will "resolve" this.
Bad enough to put on the “don’t bother auditioning” list, I think.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're not bad, but not as good as I thought they might be. Useful output down to 30Hz, a bit toppy but the mids are flat.

Target audience might prefer toppy due to age related hearing loss, they still want the detail and the air and space.

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
They're not bad, but not as good as I thought they might be. Useful output down to 30Hz, a bit toppy but the mids are flat.

Target audience might prefer toppy due to age related hearing loss, they still want the detail and the air and space.
It’s not only toppy, the oscillations up are crazy! Starting at only 1 kHz.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not only toppy, the oscillations up are crazy! Starting at only 1 kHz.
we need a bigger graph, the X axis is too squashed but that looks like only 1dB of variation over a narrow band at 1.5Khz to me. Yes it could be better but it's not that bad in the real world. I've heard considerably worse sound fine.

For the money asked I'd want better though no argument there.

nerdoldnerdith

Now that the music from Octave Records is being mixed on these speakers we should expect it to sound pretty dull.

Sonny1

Yeah but did they use the PS Audio noise harvester and expensive power regenerator when they did the measurements?

I have to admit, I kinda like the look of these but they are way too big for a speaker that needs a sub. And too expensive of course, and too heavy, and they have shockingly poor measurements, but they look cool. Can’t wait to see real reviews. Don’t think Paul is going to ship these to Amir but I look forward to Danny’s crossover upgrades. Can these be fitted for tube connectors? Asking for a friend of course.

Top Bottom