• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with some recommendations

podenbeck

I have some killer vintage Wharfedale E50 speakers that I updated the woofers on and they are 95 db.
I almost exclusively listen to vinyl I plan on getting a Bluetooth receiver to plug in for those rare times I want to run something digital. I have a Debut Carbon with a Ortofon Blue and acrylic platter and a Schiit Mani preamp.
My integrated amplifier is an older Technics that is 120W per channel its not my favorite piece of gear and I want to upgrade. Pretty sure that I can get away with 100Wish- I do listen to music pretty loud on occasion. I also prefer class A or A/B amps.

I have a budget of about $2000. Question is what to do?
Freya S or Freya + with a Vidar or Outlaw 2220s?
Topping Pre 90?
Marantz PM8006?
Music Fidelity M3si?
Rotel A14?
Suggestions?

I am more looking at a separates setup so next time I might only need to upgrade a component instead of the whole shebang.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I'd be reccomending Class D - Hypex Ncore or purify - but you said AB so...

The Schiit amps seem to measure pretty good.
Topping are about to release a Class AB stereo amp, on 26th April, and I'm guessing that is going to have very good measurements, so may be worth waiting to see what that looks like.

Not familiar with any of the others.

OP
P

podenbeck

Better soundstage and clarity.

Also some of the binding posts and aux output options do not work on the amp. Its time for a replacement.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is first speaker placement, then close second, room arrangement, then distant third, the source.
Amplifier will have close to zero impact. Your speakers, Nominal Impedance : 8 ohms, Sensitivity: 95dB / 1W /1m, do not need more power,
well positioned they will give you clarity and imaging depth and width.
Can we see your setup and room dimensions?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Also some of the binding posts and aux output options do not work on the amp. Its time for a replacement.
Not particularly functions of the electronics vs the recording and your speakers/room. If the unit has other issues with connections it may be due an upgrade certainly. I'm not a particular fan of most 2ch integrated amps myself but if they have bass management and modern connectivity, maybe.

MattJ

I have a Vidar, and I really like it. Noticeable improvement in detail over my old Rotel amp.

OP
P

podenbeck

Really the amp needs to be replaced. Low level buzz in some of the inputs. I actually have my phono pre plugged into the tape input because the aux is so bad. I mean I got the thing for free so it worked for a while. Speakers and such I got pretty dialed for what I can do in the space they really can create some 3d imaging. I just want to know how much more I can give them so they can reveal more.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Go with the Outlaw 2220s. But, don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket. These go on sale periodically and IIRC always at Xmas.
BTW, you'll have money left over for a miniDSP Flex. It has a Bluetooth input. Spring for the DIRAC license.

Last edited:

coonmanx

I am curious now what Technics unit you have with that much power. I am a Technics fan but a lot of the good stuff that they made is now getting to be 40 years old or so. I still have a Technics SU-V707 (1983), which is rated at 90 WPC and sounds very good to me. But who knows how long it will last before it needs service.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yamaha R-N803 and see the rest of the line up including SA series.

MoStyles

Every option you listed would be a great choice. At 95db speakers, you don’t have to go crazy on power. I’m personally been a long time fan of Rotel. Started when I was younger and worked as a system designer in the AV industry. I recently bought a new 2 channel setup with a Rotel a12 (60wpc) and a pair of Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speakers. I was going to get a separate power amp and run the A12 as a preamp, but the Rotel has huge amounts of head room… They are usually under rated all channels driven. I could go on about the build, desecrate wiring, power transformers, but they are really solid and extremely clean amps. I would highly recommend the Rotel A14 at 80wpc is all you would need.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I'd be reccomending Class D - Hypex Ncore or purify - but you said AB so...

The Schiit amps seem to measure pretty good.
Topping are about to release a Class AB stereo amp, on 26th April, and I'm guessing that is going to have very good measurements, so may be worth waiting to see what that looks like.

Not familiar with any of the others.
Using a Hypex amp when your source material is vinyl seems a lot like putting ostrich leather seats into a 20-year-old Yugo.

To me it seems that way. I'm sure most people disagree.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Using a Hypex amp when your source material is vinyl seems a lot like putting ostrich leather seats into a 20-year-old Yugo.

Yugo 55 cabriolet with Zastava - Fiat 1600 CC motor... sure why not and just for fun. If people like old fashion things as vinils, good FM and prefer to keep the bridge with all that in one old fashion box (with or without loads of digital stuff) then there is nothing to represent that is based on G-H class SoM's. There were equally good measuring wintage MOSFET G class amplifiers and they looked far better and ware complete offering but that's not the topic hire.

OP
P

podenbeck

I kinda want to experiment with tubes but I am wondering if that whould best be done with a tube phono stage or the pre amp? I guess I am a little worried about having tubes as well because I do have dogs and kids etc so I am also worried about durability. Solid state seems to be the safe choice.

OP
P

podenbeck

Some of my vinyl records are worth hundreds of dollars. I might as well try and get the most out of them. I know it seems counter intuitive but I just really like the non-crystalline sound of vinyl over cds. Still have thousands of cds but I rarely play them anymore.

Top Bottom