• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Magnepan LRS Speaker Review

Newman

Major Contributor
All I've learned from reading your waffle in this thread is that you should be marked on the forum as somehow affiliated with the manufacturer so that normal readers don't take your insistent claims regarding "physics" too seriously.
I think I a lot of people here have realised that, and stopped listening. He is effectively the manufacturer’s mouthpiece. If the manufacturer told him in direct communications that it’s true, “then it’s true”. It’s The Josh and Wendell Show!

Meantime, we have a speaker that measures badly, and in a way that will be negatively audible in-room, large or small. End of.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Otherwise, as I said, you're *always* listening to a full height dipole in the near field vertically. Not so a short dipole like the LRS, ...
May I remand you this thread is about Magnepan LRS, which is a short dipole? So, I will repeat my question rephrased, again:
Are you listening to your Magnepan LRS in a near field, or not?

josh358

May I remand you this thread is about Magnepan LRS, which is a short dipole? So, I will repeat my question rephrased, again:
Are you listening to your Magnepan LRS in a near field, or not?
I don't have the Magnepan LRS, I have the Magnepan Tympani IVA. I did have a pair of MMG's, which were the same size as the LRS, and yes, I listened to them in the near field -- as anyone who has actually owned a pair can tell you, you get more bass when you do.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@josh358

Any studies to back up your assertions? I mean, some measurements, studies? We tend to need more here.

Peace.

Vladimir Filevski

...I did have a pair of MMG's, which were the same size as the LRS, and yes, I listened to them in the near field -- as anyone who has actually owned a pair can tell you, you get more bass when you do.
I listened to MG 0.6 at about 10 feet distance - normal listening distance and definitely far field. At what distance did you listen to MMG to be in their near field? One foot? :facepalm:

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
Uh oh, I feel another Griffin quote is heading our way....

josh358

By the time you hit 5 feet with an MMG, the bass is hitting you over the head. I listened a bit farther back for a more reasonable balance (and you don't want your nose to be touch the things anyway, they start to loom).

Newman

Major Contributor
I'm a prophet! :cool:

The Griffin paper is a nice piece of academia but zero measurements. Sorry @FrantzM.

In terms of near/far field theory (as defined specifically for line sources as the point where SPL dropoff with multiple of distance ‘flips’ from 3 dB/d to 6 dB), Griffin Fig 5 applied to the LRS line length of 1m suggests that it is both/neither/mess. Specifically, at a listening distance of (say) 2.5m, you will be in the near field of the top 3 octaves, far field for everything below that. Hmm, what a wonderful idea! And you will be listening to sound reflecting off the front and rear walls that has a different path length (listening distance) to you than the direct sound, hence a different proportion of near/far field behaviour. Brilliant! :facepalm:

Last edited:

Vladimir Filevski

By the time you hit 5 feet with an MMG, the bass is hitting you over the head. I listened a bit farther back for a more reasonable balance (and you don't want your nose to be touch the things anyway, they start to loom).
So, you didn't listen to MMG in the near field! Thanks!
But you contradict yourself:
I did have a pair of MMG's, which were the same size as the LRS, and yes, I listened to them in the near field --
I give up...

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are the sound pressure curves in dB (relative to an arbitrary reference level) versus distance for several frequencies with the same source amplitudes for a 2 m long line source. Ear height is at the mid-point of the array.

You can easily see why you don't want to listen in the nearfield (not to be confused with direct field listening). You will only hear flat frequency response in the far-field (where the curves merge together).

soundpressure_vs_distance.png

Reference: https://engineering.purdue.edu/ece40020/Homework/SomeRefs/Line_Array_Theory.pdf See figure 8.

Attachments

• ASR-2022-04-04-1 Line Source Response with Distance.pdf
    80.4 KB · Views: 41

josh358

So, you didn't listen to MMG in the near field! Thanks!
But you contradict yourself:

I give up...
You seem to think it's either/or. It isn't. There's a transition zone between near and far field, and it varies by frequency as well. I suggest you read the Keele papers if you're interested in learning how it works.

josh358

Here are the sound pressure curves in dB (relative to an arbitrary reference level) versus distance for several frequencies with the same source amplitudes for a 2 m long line source. Ear height is at the mid-point of the array.

You can easily see why you don't want to listen in the nearfield (not to be confused with direct field listening). You will only hear flat frequency response in the far-field (where the curves merge together).

View attachment 197700

Reference: https://engineering.purdue.edu/ece40020/Homework/SomeRefs/Line_Array_Theory.pdf See figure 8.
What am I missing here? It looks like you're talking about listening 30 meters away!

In home as opposed to sound reinforcement applications, at a given listening distance, some frequencies are in the near field, some transitional, and some in the far. Speakers are tuned for optimal response at a given listening distance.

There's a lot going on here -- 6 DB dipole cancellation, underdamped segments of varying size, and reflections from room surfaces, in particular the floor. The segments are tuned to provide acoustic equalization, compensating for the 6 dB/octave dipole roll-off heard in the far field. In the near field, one doesn't hear the roll-off and the response of a dipole woofer that is tuned to be flat in the far field will increase at 6 dB/octave as frequency declines. And whether the listener is in the near or far field depends on listening distance, segment size, frequency, and reflections from room surfaces.

Vladimir Filevski

You seem to think it's either/or. It isn't. There's a transition zone between near and far field, and it varies by frequency as well. I suggest you read the Keele papers if you're interested in learning how it works.
I read Keele papers long time ago. I know all about that transition zone.
You are trying to escape ... sorry, you are trapped in your own contradiction! You said:
I did have a pair of MMG's, which were the same size as the LRS, and yes, I listened to them in the near field -
You are insisting that you listened them in the near field, to somehow magically increase the missing low frequency output of MMG (or LRS) and to negate measurements presented in this thread.
On the other hand, you are saying that at 5 feet there is too much bass (let say it is in the near field distance), so you were listening them at greater distance, "for more reasonable balance":
By the time you hit 5 feet with an MMG, the bass is hitting you over the head. I listened a bit farther back for a more reasonable balance
Sadly for you, this means that your listening position "a bit further away" is away from the near field, and also away from the transition zone (at low frequencies), because balance of low frequencies was changed!

Moral of this story: You can't have your cake and eat it, or in your case - you can't be in the near field at your listening position ("a bit further" than 5 feet), and in the same time admit that at closer distance ("5 feet") there is much more bass. More bass means you are entering in the transition zone, and/or in the near field!
So, your listening position "a bit further" is not in the near field as you claimed! Q.E.D.

Newman

Major Contributor
As stated by Ureda, in his paper that NTK provided a few posts above, listening to a straight line source orthogonally to its midpoint, ie the usual recommended listening angle for a Maggie, "introduces symmetry to the model and produces a result that is unique to this origin and path." Which is great until one realises that every reflection that one hears will be coming off a different origin and along a different path, where the line behaviour is dramatically different.

IOW the reflected sound will have very different tonality to the direct sound. Which Toole has demonstrated will lead to lower preference ratings. Not good.

...and that's for a *perfect* line source. Use a separate line tweeter beside the mid-bass panel, and you get pretty ugly off-axis horizontal output through the crossover region (just like Amir has been showing us the measurements from 2-way centre channel speakers that also put the tweeter beside the mid-bass driver). Thus making the reflected sound even more different to the direct sound. (One would think the logical mitigation would be to use a high-order crossover to make the crossover region as narrow as possible. But no, Maggies use a first-order crossover.)

Really not good.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What am I missing here? It looks like you're talking about listening 30 meters away!

In home as opposed to sound reinforcement applications, at a given listening distance, some frequencies are in the near field, some transitional, and some in the far. Speakers are tuned for optimal response at a given listening distance.

There's a lot going on here -- 6 DB dipole cancellation, underdamped segments of varying size, and reflections from room surfaces, in particular the floor. The segments are tuned to provide acoustic equalization, compensating for the 6 dB/octave dipole roll-off heard in the far field. In the near field, one doesn't hear the roll-off and the response of a dipole woofer that is tuned to be flat in the far field will increase at 6 dB/octave as frequency declines. And whether the listener is in the near or far field depends on listening distance, segment size, frequency, and reflections from room surfaces.
This is exactly what happens when one reproduces a 5000 Hz sound wave (wavelength ≈0.07 m) with a 2 m tall line source. Here are the rules of thumb from Klippel to determine where far-field begins. From rule #3, d = 2 m, λ = 0.07 m, therefore r_far ≈ d^2/λ ≈ 57 m. My calculations using Ureda's formula hit that number pretty close.
klippel.png

Here is figure 4 from the Griffin paper you referenced. Notice the similarities between this plot and mine? See the the distance scale? James Griffin plotted only 1 frequency (8 kHz with a 4 m high line source). I showed 4 frequencies with a 2 m line source which is close enough to a large Magnepan panel.

griffin.png

Here is figure 8 from the Ureda paper Griffin also referenced. Ureda offset the plots, while mines aren't.

ureda.png

josh358

I read Keele papers long time ago. I know all about that transition zone.
You are trying to escape ... sorry, you are trapped in your own contradiction! You said:

You are insisting that you listened them in the near field, to somehow magically increase the missing low frequency output of MMG (or LRS) and to negate measurements presented in this thread.
On the other hand, you are saying that at 5 feet there is too much bass (let say it is in the near field distance), so you were listening them at greater distance, "for more reasonable balance":

Sadly for you, this means that your listening position "a bit further away" is away from the near field, and also away from the transition zone (at low frequencies), because balance of low frequencies was changed!

Moral of this story: You can't have your cake and eat it, or in your case - you can't be in the near field at your listening position ("a bit further" than 5 feet), and in the same time admit that at closer distance ("5 feet") there is much more bass. More bass means you are entering in the transition zone, and/or in the near field!
So, your listening position "a bit further" is not in the near field as you claimed! Q.E.D.
The near and far field transition is frequency dependent. What is so hard to understand about that? The lower the frequency, the closer you
This is exactly what happens when one reproduces a 5000 Hz sound wave (wavelength ≈0.07 m) with a 2 m tall line source. Here are the rules of thumb from Klippel to determine where far-field begins. From rule #3, d = 2 m, λ = 0.07 m, therefore r_far ≈ d^2/λ ≈ 57 m. My calculations using Ureda's formula hit that number pretty close.
View attachment 197714

Here is figure 4 from the Griffin paper you referenced. Notice the similarities between this plot and mine? See the the distance scale? James Griffin plotted only 1 frequency (8 kHz with a 4 m high line source). I showed 4 frequencies with a 2 m line source which is close enough to a large Magnepan panel.

View attachment 197712
Here is figure 8 from the Ureda paper Griffin also referenced. Ureda offset the plots, while mines aren't.

View attachment 197713
Yeesh, I'm getting dizzy--everyone seems to have his own definition. A formula that I've seen for the critical distance of a line source at wavelength lambda is D = 1.57L^2/lambda. For 50 Hz and a 4 foot line, that gives roughly 1-1/4 feet, or 2-1/2 feet when the floor reflection is taken into account; beyond that, the output should decline as the square of the distance. (Of course, the MMG isn't really a line at lower frequencies -- more like frequency-dependent rectangles.)

Vladimir Filevski

The near and far field transition is frequency dependent. What is so hard to understand about that? The lower the frequency, the closer you
You were talking about the low frequency ONLY - what is hard to understand that you are contradicting yourself?
You were listening at 5 feet and there was too much bass, because you were in the near field (or transitional zone) - your words! Than you move further (your words!) and suddenly bass output dropped to a "more reasonable balance" (your words!) - but you are insisting that you are still listening in the near field!? Your words:
I did have a pair of MMG's, which were the same size as the LRS, and yes, I listened to them in the near field --
But then:
By the time you hit 5 feet with an MMG, the bass is hitting you over the head. I listened a bit farther back for a more reasonable balance

So you experienced less bass output (relative to higher frequencies) when you moved further from 5 feet, but you still stubbornly claim you are still listening in the near field?! If both listening position ("5 feet" and "further") were in the near field, than the bass output (relative to higher frequencies) must be the same! But it was not - your words!
What is hard to understand that you are contradicting yourself?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But you seem to be totally unaware of its implication.
Yeesh, I'm getting dizzy--everyone seems to have his own definition. A formula that I've seen for the critical distance of a line source at wavelength lambda is D = 1.57L^2/lambda. For 50 Hz and a 4 foot line, that gives roughly 1-1/4 feet, or 2-1/2 feet when the floor reflection is taken into account; beyond that, the output should decline as the square of the distance. (Of course, the MMG isn't really a line at lower frequencies -- more like frequency-dependent rectangles.)
Your numbers are for 50 Hz. Didn't you notice in Klippel's rule of thumb #3, it says "critical at high frequencies"?

Using the Griffin paper you referenced, the sound pressure level to distance attenuation relationship changes from a rough average of 10 dB/10x distance (note the frequency dependent ripples in the curve) in the near field to 20 dB/10x distance in the far field.

Therefore, due to the fact that the near field to far field transition point is frequency dependent — inversely proportional to wavelength, the 50 Hz transition happens 100 times closer to the sound source than the 5000 Hz transition.

So, using your numbers, if your listening distance is, say 3 m, you will be in the far field at 50 Hz (no floor reflections) and in the near field at >400 Hz. Since distance attenuation is different between near field and far field, frequency response (after the appropriate EQ) can only be flat at (at most) a single listening position. Move closer or further away, frequency response will no longer be flat due to the fact that different frequencies attenuates differently.

By now, it should be painfully obvious that listening in the acoustical near field is a bad idea. Wonder why when Don Keele came up with his CBT, he curved the line source (so there are different time delays from different points in the array) and applied amplitude shading (Legendre) to make it behave like a point source?

josh358

Correct about stereophile measurements but absolutely wrong about mine.

The goal of these measurements is to find out how the speaker radiates sound independent of the room. That way, we find the true physical behavior of the speaker. Once there, we can then apply that to our own situations. The Klippel NFS and measurements in anechoic chamber both produce such data and it is absolutely essential in finding design issues in the speaker.

How a speaker behaves in a room is different and both dipole and regular monopole speakers are impacted by the room. That is why we have secondary measurements. Vertical directivity for LRS for example shows razor thin angle where you get anything close to a full range speaker. This was confirmed in my listening tests and no room can eliminate it.

The measurements also predicted how I heard the speaker. Bass was non-existent despite having a real floor contrary to what you stated. Indeed, measurements tell us the effect of the floor reflections just as well:

index.php

The blue line tells you the effect of the floor bounce. It provides some enhancement in low frequencies but there is so much of a deficit there that you are still left with a speaker that simply doesn't have any bass.

Predicted in-room response actually includes the effect of the above reflections and produced this:

index.php

This absolutely matched my in-person listening as indicated by the EQ making a massive difference in correcting the ills of this speaker. If you listened with EQ, you would want to run away when it was turned off! It compensated for both lack of bass and too little treble.

So no, the measurements are not at fault. The tell the truth and are a great tool in figuring out how to correct the response of this speaker if you wanted to go that way.
Another measurement of in-room response:

1651596342001.png

It's still bass deficient, but doesn't show the decline below 300 Hz that your measurements do. I don't know anything about the size of the room or the measurements distance -- with open-baffle speakers in general, the larger the room, the larger the baffle required for good bass response, and you really want to listen to these in the near field if you can. As Magnepan's Wendell Diller put it, in a large room, the LRS sounds like a midrange.

The reviewer here also made a measurement mistake, which is that he measured and listened with the jumper in place. That isn't the default -- the 1 ohm resistor is -- the jumper is for bright rooms. I don't know why Magnepan doesn't make this clear, because everyone makes the same mistake. I don't know how you measured (forgive me if you said, it's been a year since I read your original review), but if you add the jumper, the graph above will look a bit more reasonable.

The HF issue can be addressed by tilting the speaker so that your ears are on axis vertically at your listening position. (The gentle decline is intentional -- it's a built-in house curve.)

That said, I continue to be interested in the fact that a speaker that doesn't measure well sounds so damn good. I heard it once, at AXPONA, and it was impressive, and I'm hardly alone in that judgement -- it's an almost universal response among critics and the general public. And I've heard that its successor, the LRS+, was the hit of this AXPONA -- it's basically the same thing with cleaner mids and highs. This, from the hometheaterhifi review, is typical:

"I quickly began to understand why Maggies have such a following. When set up right (with the tweeter portions to the outside in my case), the music just sounds effortless with massive and deep imaging. People have called them holographic sounding and I can certainly see how they would conclude that. Instruments and vocals also had a natural ease about them. Percussion details were especially quick and precise in their sound and very well resolved overall."

(He also goes on to mention some of the speaker's flaws: "Yet even at their best, in my room, the LRS had some obvious limitations in their bass abilities. Namely, the bass level, in general, was rather polite and what bass there was, dropped off like a stone below 70 Hz. There also was an occasional mild sense of brightness in the treble that I noted, but I wasn’t ready to mess with one of the padding resistors yet because I wanted to hear what, if anything, would happen when I switched to the Magna Riser stands." He missed one that others seem to miss -- if you really crank the levels, they fall apart.")

That's pretty close to my subjective impression as well, which I find interesting. The massive and deep imaging, well, that's the dipole reflections, as we've discussed. The other stuff, well, yes, but I find it harder to explain.

All of this in the context of a $750 speaker. I haven't heard anything that sounds this good on acoustical music in that price range. Clearly, there are better loudspeakers from Magnepan and others for more money. But to me, the wonder of the LRS is that it sounds so good at that price. (Even more so at the original $650, but they're backordered 5 months so it didn't make sense to keep the price that low.)

Attachments

• 1651595697374.png
    1651595697374.png
    413.9 KB · Views: 77
Top Bottom