• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

phrwn

Since I have a penchant for climbing out of rabbit-holes I'm currently taking advantage of a house move, and everything going into storage for a while, to see what it's like to reduce down to just ER4XR's plugged into the laptop headphone jack. So far so good, and I might actually sell the Teaks and the Element II when I get them back.

The ER4's sound good enough to me and solve a bunch of other issues I had with headphones, mainly to do with isolation (the Teaks have less than none) and comfort, especially with regard to using with glasses. They are deep insertion, but with the triple flange tips this is much easier than whatever conniptions the U12t's required.

Running with an oratory1990 EQ in Equalizer APO.
This experiment has concluded with the unsurprising result that I'm keeping the Teaks and the Element 2 to drive them as daily use headphones.

I'm also keeping the ER4XR's for extreme noise isolation and I've added some Porta Pros for fun and summer heat issues. I've also got Airpod Pros for wireless convenience (a great way to stream audio from Apple TV I've discovered, while I wait for the backordered speakers to come in) and the Cooler Master MH571 mainly for voice comms.

The conclusion is, annoyingly, there is no singular solution and if you want the good sounds you need some bits and pieces. I've ditched EQ for simplicity.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... I've ditched EQ for simplicity.
With headphones I entirely agree. I like the ability to customize my sound. Admittedly it will be based on components that get good, rational reviews.

With my main rig, I did get setup help from Dirac, but I didn't entirely implement it all.

...p

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just acquired a new hifiman he1000se.
Still like the susvara best, followed by the 1000v2 and the 1000se brings up the rear.
I could easily listen to the susvara and v2 without eq but the se demands it.

Phoney

Hifiman Arya v2 - Absolutely love it with the oratory eq. My favourite headphone out of those that I have tried by a mile. Amazing bass after a bit of EQ. Staging obviously really good, with not much tradeoff. I will not need any other "high end" headphones than this one, atleast not for a long time. I'm a lover of jazz, and the Arya is very good with jazz. The only genres I don't like with these are Hip-Hop and Old School Rock (bad recordings), but my other headphones cover these genres.

Denon AH-D7200 - I don't know why I like this headphone so much, but I actually enjoy just about any music from these. Out of the box they are not great at all. EQ'ed to harman they are also don't sound good to me. But after playing around for a while with EQ I found a middle ground which did wonders for me. Many people have a problem with comfort on these without any modding, but I somehow find these quite comfortable out of the box. They do get a bit hot around the ear for longer sessions, but I don't use these for long sessions. I also don't feel the same headband discomfort as many others do. The bass is obviously the best part, but after some tinkering I like the rest of the mix too. Staging is decent for a closed back, and imaging great. I find myself opting for these quite a lot, and they differ a lot from the Arya which is also nice for variance. I've been leaning more and more towards open backs for obvious reasons, but I can't get myself to sell these despite being too big for on the go use!

Sennheiser HD560S - Great bang for the buck, and very comfortable. Easier on the head for longer sessions than the others, and does feel a bit different aswell providing variance. I was surprised by how well these handles bass, and the sub bass was surprisingly good after some boosting. Good balanced sound with oratory EQ, and I can't really find anything to critice soundwise. Just about any music works with these too. A solid all-rounder.

Sennheiser IE300 - Just ordered these for on the go use and can't wait to try them.

Sold these:
Sennheiser HD660S - I actually liked these, but sold them to afford the Aryas back when I had just these. I'm not sure if I would've liked them as much today however, after trying a lot of headphones. HD560S seems like a better choice considering bang for the buck.

Hifiman HE400SE - Not long enough for my head, and the headband was also not too comfortable. Didn't bother to mod. Wide soundstage, but a bit thin and the bass felt a bit too weak despite the fact that they responded okay to a bass boost.

Aeon RT - Impressive soundstage and imaging, but they sounded a bit thin and the bass was not present. Even after a +10db boost. Possibly because it didn't seal optimally on my head. I'm sensitive to higher frequencies, so having close to no bass is obviously not optimal. I tried removing a lot from the higher frequencies to be able to hear more bass, but it didn't fix it completely and they sounded dull at that point.

This makes me sound like a total bass head, but I enjoy listening to lower volumes. And if the bass is not present enough, it's hard to get any bass at all at lower volumes. Most headphones can be adjusted to preference in most frequencies, but bass seems like a tricky one in some cases. Also the way the bass is presented seems to differ a lot, with some being much more enjoyable than others despite having the same quantity. As a user of EQ I care a lot about having all the freedom in the world to be able to adjust the headphone to sound balanced to me without any limitations. Good sounding bass with enough power is a part of that. I probably prefer a bit more bass than what can be considered as balanced, but again this is for lower volumes and also I like the fact that bass is less fatigueing.

Last edited:

valrak66

Currently in use :
- Monolith M1060
- Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm
- Sennheiser HD 25 Amperior
- Sennheiser Momentum On Ear

The monolith is the most clean from these headphones ;)

DesEsseintes

Over ears:
  • Sennheiser HD600 - bought in 2017, my current go-to. Very happy with the sound and comfort.
  • EMU Teak - haven't put them on recently, but I will revisit soon. Always thought they were fairly bassy, but oddly my son (13) found the treble offensive.
  • Sennheiser 560s - pretty solid (comfort, sound), although redundant with (and less impressive than) the HD600. Looking for a short 3.5mm terminated cable to make them more portable friendly.
  • ZMF Classics - were my work pair for a long while. They're generally fine, inoffensive, but feel a bit meh sometimes. Lacking... something... Certainly I don't get any "wow planar" feelings.
  • Creative Aurvana Live! SE - actually deeply flawed FR. But they EQ well. You can get used to the stock sound, but switching back and forth from a neutral EQ, the effect is mind-boggling. Also my pair don't seem to agree with any published FR I've seen. Had to EQ by ear and sine sweep.
  • Philips Fidelio X2HR - didn't like the fit or sound. Never really nailed down what exactly I didn't like about the FR, but my son is happy to use them for gaming.
  • Bose QC25 - more or less strictly used when flying, which has been a while, I remember thinking they sounded decent for what they are for. Also v. comfortable.

In ears:
  • Etymotic ER2SE - recent purchase, v. happy with the sound, getting more used to the fit, but they never "disappear", I'm always aware of their presence. Best case scenario, they are not causing discomfort.
  • Google Pixel Buds A Series - more or less only used while working out. They do their job well.
  • Earfun Free Pro 2 - bought recently to test Oluv's Patreon EQ. Seems good, but haven't had them long enough to come to a conclusion, right now I would prefer the reproduction of the Etymotics. The app used to apply the EQ is among the least intuitive / user friendly I've ever encountered.
  • Bunch of chi-fi stuff, hardly worth mentioning any. Most of them are too bassy. Some have serious fit issues. I don't see myself dropping any big money on chi-fi. I may pick up the odd interesting low budget pair.

Earbuds:
  • VE Monk + - there are times when this form factor is convenient. These are inoffensive.
  • Yincrow X6 - a bit like the Monks except overblown bass. Worse than the Monks IMO.
Others:
  • Koss Portapro - warm, but generally enjoyable to listen to. Not comfortable for extended periods, even with Yaxi pads. If they were more comfortable, I could ditch the earbuds probably.
  • Aftershokz Aeropex - when I'm out cycling, or running (not very often). The technology seems to be quite limiting with sound reproduction, so these don't sound great compared to more or less anything above, but they have a very specific use case, for which they do a passable job.

Last edited:
Sony WF1000XM4
DCA Aeon Closed X

I don't find the Sony particularly musical, but they are great for voice on my smartphone.

soundofsingle

Grado RS1
Meze Empyrean
Fostex 900 MKII
HD650
Shure SE 535

Duke650

Current:
Headphones: Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT closed, Oppo PM-3, Focal Elegia (broken headband)
IEMs: Astell&Kern Angie by Jerry Harvey 1st gen., Tansio Mirai TSMR-3 Pro, Moondrop x crinacle Blessing2Dusk

Past:
Sennheiser HD555, Sennheiser HD475, Koss GT/5, Denon AH-D 2000, NAD Viso HP50, AKG K551 and few more
Yuin PK2, Yuin PK1, Sennheiser CX300, Phonak Audeo PFE, Hifiman RE-400, Brainwavz S1, Brainwavz R2, Westone 4R, Ultimate Ears UE900S etc...

Current:
Headphones: Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT closed, Oppo PM-3, Focal Elegia (broken headband)
IEMs: Astell&Kern Angie by Jerry Harvey 1st gen., Tansio Mirai TSMR-3 Pro, Moondrop x crinacle Blessing2Dusk

Past:
Sennheiser HD555, Sennheiser HD475, Koss GT/5, Denon AH-D 2000, NAD Viso HP50, AKG K551 and few more
Yuin PK2, Yuin PK1, Sennheiser CX300, Phonak Audeo PFE, Hifiman RE-400, Brainwavz S1, Brainwavz R2, Westone 4R, Ultimate Ears UE900S etc...
Wow, that's a lot of cans man!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I never had any until 2 years ago. I then had to buy a set to make the wife happy. She was tired of knitting to space explosions, gunfire, car accidents, and other movie sounds from my home theater. She was getting Home Theater PTSD. So I bought a pair of Mobius that Amir tested. All in all, I find headphones lacking. I want serious bass and I can't get it with headphones. I think I'm just used to a big subwoofer and the headphones are just weak in comparisons. I even tried using the Equalizer APO I think it is. I had to have a computer whiz come over and get it working. after he had it all working correctly I had him boost the bass up as far as he could without it clipping. So from flat on the bass to max unclipped bass I could NOT hear any difference. He claimed he could. I then had my ears checked professionally and my hearing is very good 12k and below. So, the EQ programs for headphones seem very weak to me. Now, this is a sample of one though. Explosions and other stuff just is not right in headphones. I need to feel the explosive blast and not just hear it. Oh, and having my butt vibrate is really, really bad so I would never get a butt vibrating device to simulate an explosion! I guess I could have the wife hit me in the chest with a 2X4 but I don't think she can get the timing to match with the onscreen explosion. Oh well, until headphones get much better or someone can send me a pair to try that really, really does serious bass, I will stick with speakers. Well, unless she is knitting, then its Mobius and they do a fairly good job, better than TV speakers or my soundbar. It's a good thing I'm the man of the house and don't let her push me around! She did give me permission to post this on ASR! :)

Last edited:
I aspire to reach your position in can land!:cool:

Top Bottom