• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ordered Perlisten s7t

• Thread starter Deleted member 4708
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 4708

HA! Fresh off the news. I just asked Perlisten if the mid driver cover is removable.
They recommended I keep them on because of their contribution to the interaction between mid and tweeter.
Shoot - I didn't mention I have DSP. Let me ask again.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Update from Perlisten: Definitely keep the mid drivers grills on. Dirac cannot substitute them. Full stop.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not correct in my experience. And a sexist remark.
I hope that is jokingly? I have to balance every purchase with what her needs and wants will be. She has no problem giving me whatever I want, it's just reciprocal.

Golfx

Forum Donor
OP
D

Deleted member 4708

My wife listens to music with me all weekend. She appreciates well produced sound as much as I do. Her opinion is important when we audition speakers that may go in our room.
My wife has complimented all my speakers over the years as excellent. All of them. The reason is very simple: she wants me to keep them for as long as possible and not overspend on speakers :)

Golfx

Forum Donor
It didn’t read like humor.
That is the problem with written communication it cannot display intent. I will try to be more careful.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

While waiting for the Benchmark I am trying to make the best use of the miniDSP SHD.
Volumio needs a very good wireless network. I added an extender and it works flawlessly. However, despite the time spent reading everywhere the Ethernet connection to my XFi Comcast Pod (gen-2/latest) doesn't seem to work. Will try again on the weekend.
Anyway Volumio and Qobuz work well together; no complaints.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While waiting for the Benchmark I am trying to make the best use of the miniDSP SHD.
Volumio needs a very good wireless network. I added an extender and it works flawlessly. However, despite the time spent reading everywhere the Ethernet connection to my XFi Comcast Pod (gen-2/latest) doesn't seem to work. Will try again on the weekend.
Anyway Volumio and Qobuz work well together; no complaints.
That's it??? Did you get your amp? Well??

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

That's it??? Did you get your amp? Well??

I received the AHB2 - wire with gain. Very impressive. It drives the Perlisten with ease. A couple of times I listened to max (0 db on SHD) to metal and electronic music. Very clear, very crisp, and frightening loud.
I know this site appreciates Genelec most yet I am happy I went with Perlisten and not Genelec. Good looking in black piano, high dynamics, and just end game speakers. I had someone who was looking at the Perlisten come over for an audition. He was either very impressed - or excessively polite.
I moved my speakers in the room 6 times - a couple of inches every time. The sound is great, I was just trying different toe-ins and distances between the speakers.
After I bought the Perlisten my Stax SR009 headphones literally gather dust.
Not sure there is much left to say Dirac + Perlisten + AHB2 is as good as I ever listened to. After having them for a few weeks I'd say the best sound I've listened to subjectively (no blind A-B with the Genelecs).

Golfx

Forum Donor
I received the AHB2 - wire with gain. Very impressive. It drives the Perlisten with ease. A couple of times I listened to max (0 db on SHD) to metal and electronic music. Very clear, very crisp, and frightening loud.
I know this site appreciates Genelec most yet I am happy I went with Perlisten and not Genelec. Good looking in black piano, high dynamics, and just end game speakers. I had someone who was looking at the Perlisten come over for an audition. He was either very impressed - or excessively polite.
I moved my speakers in the room 6 times - a couple of inches every time. The sound is great, I was just trying different toe-ins and distances between the speakers.
Not sure there is much left to say Dirac + Perlisten + AHB2 is as good as I ever listened to. After having them for a few weeks I'd say the best sound I've listened to subjectively (no blind A-B with the Genelecs).
Active speakers always scare me a little. What happens if you have a malfunction with the amp (most likely)? The entire speaker + amp have to be returned

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Active speakers always scare me a little. What happens if you have a malfunction with the amp (most likely)? The entire speaker + amp have to be returned
That was not one of my reasons to go for Perlisten. I believe Genelec builds quality amps.
The most important reason to go for separates IMO is the (P)EQ for the room. I like having the liberty to choose what software I use, how I measure, etc. Dirac seems to be great. However I might try Trinnov at some point.
Once you have a great speaker the biggest difference is in the room EQ and room treatment.
What I secured with my setup is an end game speaker and amp. The fact the room equalization is not baked in is paramount to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfx

Forum Donor
That was not one of my reasons to go for Perlisten. I believe Genelec builds quality amps.
The most important reason to go for separates IMO is the (P)EQ for the room. I like having the liberty to choose and change what software I use, how I measure, etc. Dirac seems to be great. However I might try Trinnov at some point.
Once you have a great speaker the biggest difference is in the room EQ and room treatment.
What I secured with my setup is an end game speaker and amp. The fact the room equalization is not baked in is paramount to me.
You do have a great setup. Enviously so.

lherrm

The most important reason to go for separates IMO is the (P)EQ for the room. I like having the liberty to choose what software I use, how I measure, etc. Dirac seems to be great. However I might try Trinnov at some point.
Maybe I misunderstand but why would you not be able to use PEQ with actives ?

lherrm

Glad you're fully enjoying your new setup.
Any chance you compare the AHB2 to the QUAD Artera Solus ? (any audible difference)

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Maybe I misunderstand but why would you not be able to use PEQ with actives ?
I was implying Genelec the Ones - the only other speaker I would have considered (since GME is unobtanium in California)
What I meant is I'd rather have the room EQ as a separate just in case either something better is available or simply I subjectively like something else.
I think we are in the splitting hairs when talking Genelec / GME / Perlisten. To each his own.

OP
D

Deleted member 4708

Glad you're fully enjoying your new setup.
Any chance you compare the AHB2 to the QUAD Artera Solus ? (any audible difference)
I will tell what I believe I heard.
Up to -20db or so on the SHD I don't believe I could tell the difference in an A/B. Maybe I could. Maybe
At that point the AHB2 is louder just because it has more power. (probably -22db with AHB2 is about the same with -20db on Quad)
Now - the AHB2 doesn't change its character up to 0db on the SHD. Very loud and extremely clean.
The Quad I believe loses control at the end of the scale and has some change of character - it is not as clean when pushed.
Given I didn't do any blind A/B comparison take this opinion for what it is - subjective opinion.

Top Bottom