• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me choose a Dac Have Anandas. Thanks

Cisco150

Help me choose a Dac, with MQA I know their a lot of folks that don't use MQA but i stream from Tidal Most of the music i like is there. Have Anandas. Thanks. I just got the smsl sp200 amp but need a DAC as I'm running it off my Z390 Master board with RCA to 3.5mm and have static. Looking at the Topping E50 DAC and the Topping EX5 as a Dac or move my sp200 and just use the EX5 and was looking at the SMSL SU-9 Dac with the sp200 or get the SH-9 amp to pair it with. I'm running the Hifimen Anandas but going to get the Clear or Elex cans sometime. I love bass but also love clear vocals etc don't like to get fatigue from my headset.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
These would all be fine:
As are both of the Topping options you mention. At the levels of performance we're talking about here there is no SQ difference between these DACs; they're all audibly transparent, and will not perform better/worse based on what headphones you're using downstream. So assuming you pick a DAC that performs well enough (there are dozens of them that Amir has reviewed) then you need to focus in on features, price, warranty, build quality, etc.

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

These would all be fine:
As are both of the Topping options you mention. At the levels of performance we're talking about here there is no SQ difference between these DACs; they're all audibly transparent, and will not perform better/worse based on what headphones you're using downstream. So assuming you pick a DAC that performs well enough (there are dozens of them that Amir has reviewed) then you need to focus in on features, price, warranty, build quality, etc.
Would the SMSL SP200 Give a good Sound to the EX5 or Should i just get the A30Pro with the EX5 Dac. Or keep the SMSL SP200 and get the SU-9 dac or get the SH-9 too. too much to choose from. LoL Thanks for the help guys

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Would the SMSL SP200 Give a good Sound to the EX5
That’s not really how it works. Your DAC will drive signal into your headphone amp. As I mentioned earlier there a ton of great DACs that have been measured on ASR. They will be transparent (i.e., they will accurately convert the digital input signal to analog while producing inaudible levels of noise, distortion, and jitter). It’s not the job of a DAC to produce “good sound”, but rather a clean analog signal.

I’m not sure if it makes sense for you to buy a Topping EX5: that’s a DAC/amp combo. You already have a great headphone amp that has loads of power. You should focus your search on standalone DACs.

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

That’s not really how it works. Your DAC will drive signal into your headphone amp. As I mentioned earlier there a ton of great DACs that have been measured on ASR. They will be transparent (i.e., they will accurately convert the digital input signal to analog while producing inaudible levels of noise, distortion, and jitter). It’s not the job of a DAC to produce “good sound”, but rather a clean analog signal.

I’m not sure if it makes sense for you to buy a Topping EX5: that’s a DAC/amp combo. You already have a great headphone amp that has loads of power. You should focus your search on standalone DACs.
Could I not use the EX5 as a Dac. And is the a30pro or the sh-9 a better amp. What Dac have MQA and Balance XLR input. Other then the ex5 or su-9

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Could I not use the EX5 as a Dac
Yes, you can do that.

And is the a30pro or the sh-9 a better amp
Sure, the A30Pro is a better amp assuming you need that extra power. But I doubt that’s the case in your situation.

What Dac have MQA and Balance XLR input.
I’m assuming you mean “output”? A DAC has digital inputs. The 4 DACs I listed in my first post all have XLR outputs and support MQA decoding.

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

Yea I could run xlr balance output to the amp. Out of all theses Dac I mentioned and you which one would be the best.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Out of those 6 DACs there isn't really a "best" option. Again, given their respective measurements each DAC is going to be transparent. As such I suggest you carefully read the reviews of each on ASR. After that it will come down to your personal preference, what works best for you. That will likely be based on:
  • price
  • features
  • build quality
  • warranty / return policy
  • aesthetics
For example: I own a Sabaj D5 DAC/amp. It's DAC section is state of the art, it's amp section is very good but not super powerful. That is the best device for me: I don't need much power because my headphones are fairly easy to drive; the features of the D5 are great for me; it was within my budget.

uudruid74

Help me choose a Dac, with MQA I know their a lot of folks that don't use MQA but i stream from Tidal Most of the music i like is there. Have Anandas. Thanks. I just got the smsl sp200 amp but need a DAC as I'm running it off my Z390 Master board with RCA to 3.5mm and have static. Looking at the Topping E50 DAC and the Topping EX5 as a Dac or move my sp200 and just use the EX5 and was looking at the SMSL SU-9 Dac with the sp200 or get the SH-9 amp to pair it with. I'm running the Hifimen Anandas but going to get the Clear or Elex cans sometime. I love bass but also love clear vocals etc don't like to get fatigue from my headset.
Absolutely LOVE my SMSL SU-9!

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

Absolutely LOVE my SMSL SU-9!
Have you tried any topping stuff and what about this DAC, Gustard DAC-X16? and should I keep my sp200 I paid under 150 USD for it, Would the SMSL SH-9 be an upgrade. I'm still looking at the topping ex5 as a dac and use the sp200 or get an a30pro. Or even the LOXJIE D50 if i can find it

Last edited:

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd get an M200 to match the SP200. Still available on Amazon for $300.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would but want to have MQA as I stream Tidal.
MQA is of dubious value. At least, that is the most held opinion of members of these forums. It really does nothing audible.

uudruid74

Have you tried any topping stuff and what about this DAC, Gustard DAC-X16? and should I keep my sp200 I paid under 150 USD for it, Would the SMSL SH-9 be an upgrade. I'm still looking at the topping ex5 as a dac and use the sp200 or get an a30pro. Or even the LOXJIE D50 if i can find it
Not tried any of those. Compared to the Dragonfly Cobalt and the built-in DAC of my Denon x3600 (not a bad DAC), the SMSL is night and day. In fact, I keep the Denon EQ and room correction turned on (not using Direct) so its actually running through the Denon ADC and DAC again after going to analog through the SMSL and it doesnt lose anything. Maybe the ADC/DACs of the Denon are sampling at maximum rate and dont lose anything, but the width and detail in the soundstage is so much better using the SMSL. I also run a hybrid tube preamp between the SMSL and the Denon and in my opinion it just sounds better without losing anything.

Wish I had more to compare with, but I'm quite happy with the SMSL. Kinda concerned I didnt know about the do200 when I got the su-9.

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

Not tried any of those. Compared to the Dragonfly Cobalt and the built-in DAC of my Denon x3600 (not a bad DAC), the SMSL is night and day. In fact, I keep the Denon EQ and room correction turned on (not using Direct) so its actually running through the Denon ADC and DAC again after going to analog through the SMSL and it doesnt lose anything. Maybe the ADC/DACs of the Denon are sampling at maximum rate and dont lose anything, but the width and detail in the soundstage is so much better using the SMSL. I also run a hybrid tube preamp between the SMSL and the Denon and in my opinion it just sounds better without losing anything.

Wish I had more to compare with, but I'm quite happy with the SMSL. Kinda concerned I didnt know about the do200 when I got the su-9.
Yea i seen the SMSL DO200 but that does not have the ES9038PRO chip[set like the SU-9 haves.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
If you want to compare chips go for it:
That just seems like a waste of time to me. You don't buy the chip, you buy the DAC with the chip in it. Yes, there are typically some measured differences in chips. But what ultimately matters is the implementation of that chip in the DAC itself.

We have the measurements for the SMSL SU-9 and it's an excellent DAC. Amir hasn't measured the DO200 so we don't know.

uudruid74

If you want to compare chips go for it:
That just seems like a waste of time to me. You don't buy the chip, you buy the DAC with the chip in it. Yes, there are typically some measured differences in chips. But what ultimately matters is the implementation of that chip in the DAC itself.

We have the measurements for the SMSL SU-9 and it's an excellent DAC. Amir hasn't measured the DO200 so we don't know.
I get what you're saying, but the specs sort of tell us what the goal of the product was. It looks to me like the do-200 was cutting some costs and adding mqa on multiple channels so they were focusing on features while the su-9 seems to have the better DAC chip and was going for better accuracy. That's just what I've gleaned from the spec sheet, while the manufacturer doesn't seem to give any indication of what the target audiences are for these products. I think I'm now more comfortable with my purchase and that I believe I did purchase the right one

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

Would like to state that back in 2016 or so i bought a Marantz sr5010 and I return it to get a Denon x4300h but it seem i like the Marantz sound better. would this take place between the AKM4499 vs ESS chip9038pro would the sound be closer to the Marantz

Last edited:
Top Bottom