• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me choose a Dac Have Anandas. Thanks

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

I get what you're saying, but the specs sort of tell us what the goal of the product was. It looks to me like the do-200 was cutting some costs and adding mqa on multiple channels so they were focusing on features while the su-9 seems to have the better DAC chip and was going for better accuracy. That's just what I've gleaned from the spec sheet, while the manufacturer doesn't seem to give any indication of what the target audiences are for these products. I think I'm now more comfortable with my purchase and that I believe I did purchase the right one
The LOXJIE D40 is about the same as the DO200 in spec any difference anyone knows between them.

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

Which one of these is better for warm or less harsh sound. Looking at the LOXJIE D50 Or LOXJIE D40 or the SMSL DO200 or even the SMSL D300 or the SMSL VMV D1 DAC. Have SMSL SP200 amp but would like too tone it down a bit. Too warmer side. Also, Have the Hifiman Ananda too, and going to pick up a pair of Focal Elex or Clear soon.

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

Would you say this is less harsh or warmer? sound. I think I would like a warmer sound. I'm looking at this DAC the SU-9 and the SU-8S, DO200, LOXJIE D50, LOXJIE D40, M500 MK2, and the VMV D1SE or the SU-9N. I stream music with Tidal and never heard MQA but would like to have.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Which one of these is better for warm or less harsh sound. Looking at the LOXJIE D50 Or LOXJIE D40 or the SMSL DO200 or even the SMSL D300 or the SMSL VMV D1 DAC. Have SMSL SP200 amp but would like too tone it down a bit. Too warmer side. Also, Have the Hifiman Ananda too, and going to pick up a pair of Focal Elex or Clear soon.
DACs dont tame sound. They shouldn't affect sound at all. If you want a warmer sound , EQ your source for your headphones.Buy the DAC that meets your requirements for inputs, outputs and MQA decoding. But note, the Tidal Windows app can do the first unfold , as can the Android app.

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

Tidal Windows app can do the first unfold so do I need a mqa Dac and what is first unfold ? I'm using Ananda and SMSL SP200 of my motherboard with 3.5mm to rca to the SP200.

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

Is a thx aaa 888 to bright for my Ananda. Should I look at a dac and amp combo or should I just switch the sp200 and match the amp and Dac stack.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal Windows app can do the first unfold so do I need a mqa Dac and what is first unfold ?

Then feel free to search on here for the many threads discussing the pros and cons of it. I wouldn't want this to turn into yet another debate on it.

Personally I would use the decode done in the app and be done with it. Get the dac you want that meets your needs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is a thx aaa 888 to bright for my Ananda. Should I look at a dac and amp combo or should I just switch the sp200 and match the amp and Dac stack.
A decent dac and amp shouldnt be bright, or warm, or cold or anything. You seem to be plucking random components from mid air and asking about sonic properties that most here would say don't exist.

You have a clean amp more than powerful enough for the Ananda. Buy one of the dacs recommended earlier in the thread and I really encourage you to look at eq as the solution to any sonic failings with the headphones.

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

A decent dac and amp shouldnt be bright, or warm, or cold or anything. You seem to be plucking random components from mid air and asking about sonic properties that most here would say don't exist.

You have a clean amp more than powerful enough for the Ananda. Buy one of the dacs recommended earlier in the thread and I really encourage you to look at eq as the solution to any sonic failings with the headphones.
Thanks

OP
Cisco150

Cisco150

Then feel free to search on here for the many threads discussing the pros and cons of it. I wouldn't want this to turn into yet another debate on it.

Personally I would use the decode done in the app and be done with it. Get the dac you want that meets your needs.
I would read this, to inform me more of this mqa stuff. I never heard it but the newer stuff is not always better.

Top Bottom