• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IEM equivalent of AKG K371

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
KXXX is the same as the KXXS but with mildly boosted sub-bass, should sound very close

Earfonia

Blon BL03. You pay about $30 for a pair nowadays and they're ridiculously good for what they cost. I must admit I'd rather wear my 03's all day than my 1964 Audio customs... Not that they sound better than the customs, but they sound close enough and I'm not afraid to break or lose them. Best $30 I ever spent on audio, that's for sure, and that's coming from someone that owns more headphones and IEMs than any sane man should. :p

I've been playing around with equalizing BLON BL03 to match my target curve (EITC-2021). I use Equalizer APO:

Original BLON BL03 Frequency Response, no EQ (Red):
EITC-2021 - HT IE 2019 - BLON BL-03 Right.png

Equalized to Oratory1990 target:
EITC-2021 - HT IE 2019 - BLON BL-03 Equalized to Oratory1990.png

Equalized to match EITC-2021:
EITC-2021 - HT IE 2019 - BLON BL-03 Equalized to EITC-2021.png

Oratory1990 EQ slighlty warmer and laid back. My EITC-2021 a bit more forward and brighter.
Anyone interested to try the EQ I attached both EQ here.

Attachments

• BLON BL-03 - Equalizer APO Profiles.zip
    988 bytes · Views: 97

sfdoddsy

I've been doing a bunch of similar research. It may be a measurement thing, but it seems easier for IEMs to track the Curve than headphones.

The AKH N400 as mentioned above tracks the Harman curve precisely.

But it is wireless, unavailable and flakey.

Much easier to get hold of are the Moondrops.

I have Starfields which are in the ballpark.

The Blessing 2 Dusk is very close, and the Variations even closer.

I'd go for theDusk myself (and perhaps will).

It has slightly less bass bass than the Curve (which I like), and is desirable enough you could sell it for close to what you pay if it doesn't work out.

Raphstarr

I've been doing a bunch of similar research. It may be a measurement thing, but it seems easier for IEMs to track the Curve than headphones.

The AKH N400 as mentioned above tracks the Harman curve precisely.

But it is wireless, unavailable and flakey.

Much easier to get hold of are the Moondrops.

I have Starfields which are in the ballpark.

The Blessing 2 Dusk is very close, and the Variations even closer.

I'd go for theDusk myself (and perhaps will).

It has slightly less bass bass than the Curve (which I like), and is desirable enough you could sell it for close to what you pay if it doesn't work out.
I don't think it's currently unavailable (I just got a pair of the N400s). I'm curious if your reasons for calling them "flakey."

RHO

Major Contributor

RHO

Major Contributor
Fair point. They used to be unavailable here too. Now they're not only available here, but also at a very good price.
I don't think it was ever available in Europe. (as are most recent AKG wireless products)

brian_h_kim

i've been impressed with the Tin T3 Plus (bought it at $60; regularly sells for $70)

TT3+.png

i EQ'd the Tin T3 Plus to the Harman target and the difference is subtle at best

Oscarilbo

Kind of kidnapping this thread a bit. But I'm debating between the Moondrop Kato and the AKG K371. Searching for the "budget" harman target but want the better detail retrieval of both.

What do you think?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Kind of kidnapping this thread a bit. But I'm debating between the Moondrop Kato and the AKG K371. Searching for the "budget" harman target but want the better detail retrieval of both.

What do you think?
Im not sure I would ever equate the IEM experience with the (over ear) headphone experience . In the same way I wouldn't try and compare headphone to speaker experience.

That aside- I have the Kato and I have read about the AKG. The Kato are far from my most comfortable IEM (Heavy metal shell with odd hard edges, wants to drag the tip out of your ear rather than help it stay in) but have that Harman type bass, too much for me so I reduce it.

The AKG I believe has its own comfort/ fit issues (small cups for big ears) and multiple reports of build issues.

Honestly, stretch your budget to the Blessing 2 Dusk if you can - infinitely nicer overall experience than the Kato.

Oscarilbo

Im not sure I would ever equate the IEM experience with the (over ear) headphone experience . In the same way I wouldn't try and compare headphone to speaker experience.

That aside- I have the Kato and I have read about the AKG. The Kato are far from my most comfortable IEM (Heavy metal shell with odd hard edges, wants to drag the tip out of your ear rather than help it stay in) but have that Harman type bass, too much for me so I reduce it.

The AKG I believe has its own comfort/ fit issues (small cups for big ears) and multiple reports of build issues.

Honestly, stretch your budget to the Blessing 2 Dusk if you can - infinitely nicer overall experience than the Kato.
Thank you. I know what you mean, they wont be my main headphones (those are open). These would be just for night listening. Sadly the Dusk cannot be imported to my Country, but the Kato can. So just need to now sort of which of both (K371 and Kato) would give be a more natural detailed experience for orchestral music.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. I know what you mean, they wont be my main headphones (those are open). These would be just for night listening. Sadly the Dusk cannot be imported to my Country, but the Kato can. So just need to now sort of which of both (K371 and Kato) would give be a more natural detailed experience for orchestral music.
If it helps, I had an enjoyable couple of hours this afternoon with the Kato, but any longer would have driven me insane (regular gentle pushing them back to full seal- even worse if you are lying down).

Oscarilbo

If it helps, I had an enjoyable couple of hours this afternoon with the Kato, but any longer would have driven me insane (regular gentle pushing them back to full seal- even worse if you are lying down).
damn so not as comfortable as I imagined.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
damn so not as comfortable as I imagined.
YMMV but no, for me not so comfortable. Left field suggestion for you , especially if you can buy from Drop (i import from them to UK) is look at the Etymotic range on there . The ER2 XR/ ER3 XR (DD and BA respectively) are the extended bass versions of their lower and mid price IEM and available at a good price / Not Harman, but if you can handle the deep insertion, very good for lying down listening oh, and very detailed.

Oscarilbo

YMMV but no, for me not so comfortable. Left field suggestion for you , especially if you can buy from Drop (i import from them to UK) is look at the Etymotic range on there . The ER2 XR/ ER3 XR (DD and BA respectively) are the extended bass versions of their lower and mid price IEM and available at a good price / Not Harman, but if you can handle the deep insertion, very good for lying down listening oh, and very detailed.
Oh yes. Funny you mention the Etys, because I just returned the ER4SR. I couldn’t handle the deep insertion, just too weird and uncomfortable and never could achieved a seal. So basically I’m back to square one and waiting my refund to order the K371 or the Katos.

Earfonia

What do you think?
I have Kato, good tonality but detail retrieval and treble sharpness not as high as what I would like to hear. You may consider Seeaudio Yume or Yume Midnight as well.

Oscarilbo

I have Kato, good tonality but detail retrieval and treble sharpness not as high as what I would like to hear. You may consider Seeaudio Yume or Yume Midnight as well.
oh Interesting. So you think the newer Midnight Yume have better detail retrieval than the Kato? There’s not much reviews yet for those so I had been holding up about them. I’ve read than for orchestral and soundtracks specially a single DD may be a better and more consistent and organic option.

Oscarilbo

By the way. I’m also considering the AKG K553 Pro (closed back) for these same purposes

Top Bottom