• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY speaker cables with Neotech OCC solid core wire

Rockness

Guys hi,
I want to make some cables with this wire:

But I'm not sure about geometry (braided?) and number of wires per + and -

I was thinking about 4x + and 4x - 18 awg each for a total of 12 awg.

Any input or suggestion is very welcome

OP
Rockness

Rockness

Occ and solid core. A lot of consensus of occ quality over ofc and solid core over stranded. Curious to try

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Keeping solid core wire in a neat orderly shape and straightness is very difficult. Not sure I would go there but it is a worthy experiment if one is driven to that. Do you plan on blind AB testing and such?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My question is simple. Are you able/want to reply to it? Good. Not, get lost
Why don’t you ask those consensing people then? They must to know a lot about this?

Simple serious answer: it doesn’t really matter. Just choose whatever looks good. Even if the capacitances or inductances were significant enough to be audible, it’s impossible to know if there would be any beneficial impact on the sound.

OP
Rockness

Rockness

Keeping solid core wire in a neat orderly shape and straightness is very difficult. Not sure I would go there but it is a worthy experiment if one is driven to that. Do you plan on blind AB testing and such?
Sure, right now I'm using Canare ofc and I'm happy, but want to see if there's room for improvement

OP
Rockness

Rockness

Why don’t you ask those consensing people then? They must to know a lot about this?

Simple serious answer: it doesn’t really matter. Just choose whatever looks good. Even if the capacitances or inductances were significant enough to be audible, it’s impossible to know if there would be any beneficial impact on the sound.
Have you tried occ vs ofc?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, right now I'm using Canare ofc and I'm happy, but want to see if there's room for improvement
Yes, we all have been there...lol. I don't think you will hear any difference. The objective of the speaker wire is to get the power to the load without losing anything. Your Canare OFC is doing that now. Do you have EQ/PEQ in your system? I ask because if you are looking for improvement that is a very good place to look.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have used solid core in some automotive audio projects. Even in my Pickup truck. Only because it's not going to move around, and able to handle more abuse.
However, I can say, you will Not notice any audible difference from solid to stranded. Stranded why is probably the best way to go for home hifi applications because of it's flexibility. Either way you go, you aren't going to get an audible difference.

Top Bottom