• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where is that bench test of the Levinson?

kairos

Wow $10k speakers having such a peaky response ? Now wait for those audiophiles chipping in with " measurements are not related to sq, measurements don't matter, ears matter, hi-fi is all about type of sound one like " etc etc. :p
audiophile target ready for ridicule here, have at it boys!

testp

These are better than $10K spent on Genelec how?
magic...

no, Amir mentioned these are even inferior to Genelec 8050, so maybe inert cabinet with little bit bigger woofer does things single 6.5" don't

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen so many comments over the years about Wilson preferences over and above actual performance....what is it other than the price that makes it such a "desireable" alternative is what I've always wondered. Seems sillier than useful overall....

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

fatoldgit

I was struggling to understand the meaning of this "Tot"... perhaps they meant that it doesn't need EQ? Or that they are "definetly" tuned? ... or perhaps they don't consider the German interpretation after all. :)

Tiny Tot is slang for a small child... so they are saying its the baby of the Wilson family.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I am curious about Amir's subjective impressions somewhat, but generally don't find myself in alignment with his ergonomics/appearances preferences for the most part (nor generally anyone else's in this regard). For $10k this just seems a silly "audiophile" product.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Recommended cables for the TuneTot
image.png.c9ea6488f9fd032b3431ecdde9ddb53b.png

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Overall I'd also like to know, other than sales/distribution intended, what makes this particularly "high-end"? These for surround speakers in a "high-end" surround setup? $10k for such limited speakers and why they'd need to be pretty (on the sides) at all...I'm definitely not a customer.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
People think that we put down whatever is expensive because we can't afford it. For that reason, I usually don't take cost into consideration especially when it is a luxury product.
I talking about the cost of the product it's very important vs what offers, i don't see people arguing in the genelec 8361a.

fatoldgit

I get the feeling with say Wilson and others like Dan D'Agostino that:

1- there is a market for people with money who wouldnt know one end of a guitar from another
2- the stuff needs to have bling and aside from these tot's, extreme girth and width
3- the compliant mainstream audio press will always gush over them

I regularly hit Mono and Stereo to see how the other half lives and am always aghast at the home installation photos of mega buck systems in marble/glass castles with no acoustic treatments etc.

They have the trophy wife so need the trophy system.

For example:

Treated?... somewhat but in such a small room why so much stuff... the speakers cant breathe

Yes, occasionally you will see an expensive system in a treated room but its 1 in 10.

And of these 1 in 10, most have 15 or 20 components all crammed together... no logic as to why they are needed.

Peter

Last edited:

dukanvadet

Forum Donor
I feel like i have seen reviews where cost was taken in to consideration before and regardless it is the right thing to do. A review that doesnt compare it to the available alternatives is pointless. I am considering removing my patreon payment at this point. (not a lot of money but its a matter of principle for me)

aj625

You see measurements don't decide the sq, measurements are not related to sq, it's all about your ear, if you like the sound it is good, irrespective of price, afterall brand name matters too, owner should feel proud of owning the equipment and sound quality is secondary, system matching is the key, equipments should match visually more. :p

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted poor because of the price. At this price point I would expect better, if these were a couple of hundred dollars I'd say very good. I think price is an essential parameter when judging equipment. I think we all know that in audio price is no guide to performance, but if a low cost item performs well I don't mind it feeling a bit low rent or technical limitations. If a product costs $$$$s then it may well be something I would buy but only if it offers something special.
On the wider question, I think it highlights an important part of using measurement to evaluate audio gear in that measurement tells you an awful lot (and can try and keep manufacturers honest) but if you like a sound signature then that's what you like.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My 2c

it got recommendation with EQ , everyone misses that .

And Yes what else can I get for my 10k$ we can buy expensive luxury products for sure , I have spent way more than I should at occasion. I can see my self stretching to a 10k speaker.

Yes whats better at the same price piont could be mentioned in the review for perspective . If I should spend 10k$ why this one and not something else ? If that argument can’t be made one of the two lower panthers in our scale is at hand :)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very grateful for the measurement and listening test from somebody I respect.

Maybe it has been said already in the discussion - but this is my personal experience with WA.

I had Sasha’s for couple of years, and I can relate to everything that Amir has written about his listening impressions as this is really WA signature sound - focus on some parameters and sacrificing another aspects of measured performance. They really are very specific - need to be positioned very accurately, hard to combine with amp, but the sound you get from them is quite addictive, from such a small speaker. You can hear all the FR unevenness, bass accent, but honestly - who cares. This is a speaker, where you leave after 1-2 hours “full of music” and this is all that counts for me. Now I have big electrostats, that will probably measure even more ugly - but again - I go to my listening room and leave “full of music” and with clear head, after listening whole day to some corporate newspeak.

Life is really not just about ideal measurements.

I have my home theater based on Neumanns, I drive my MartinLogans with HYpEX 1200 and have spent probably max 1000 eur on cables (just because of sheer length of cabling needed for 2 times 7.4.4 setup) but multiples of that amount on acoustic treatments (based on measurements).

There is nothing wrong on spending lot of money on things that bring you joy. Is Mercedes S Class 20 times better than Ford? No, is not, but all that counts is how you feel after you arrive and get out of the car. ( this is more European thing - we drive e.g. 500-600 km to get somewhere).
I understand what you say about the distinctive Wilson sound. I hear it too, but the difference is I find it repels me. As you quite correctly point out, it is most definitely not accurate sound reproduction. The nearest analogy I can find is to maintain it's sonic colorations are to accurate sound reproduction as the color palette of a loony tunes cartoon is to accurate Eastman color cinematography. And I do understand that some people can find it seductive--at least for a time. But ultimately I would not more want a daily diet of this any more than I would want to subsist on gummy bears, pork rinds, and Yoo-Hoo.

aj625

Top Bottom