• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amir, this is one of those reviews where it makes it hard to vote in the polling, so i can not cast a vote.
You need to add a category to the poll. Call it the NFW, as in no F'n way.
Whether some like it or not, I think many will agree, price vs performance is a huge factor. Which is why this 10k speaker deserves an NFW.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You need to add a category to the poll. Call it the NFW, as in no F'n way.
Well, you don't get more categories than I have at my disposal. :)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are we letting the subjective impressions prevail over the poor measurements? I mean, this speaker is nowhere near full range.
This has pretty much always been the case. You can think of the Olive score as the "objective score" and the Panther score as the "subjective score". I like having both. Keep in mind the "poll panther score" is more just a subjective take on the objective measurements, which is completely different than Amir's panther score.

The disconnect between the two here is really interesting. I dare say these are the worst measurements we've ever seen(price considered). We've seen $80/pair speakers that measure better and still don't get the recommendation.

I'm glad Amir gives his honest impression, though. Better that then him just saying everything that measures good sounds good(and vice versa). I do wonder how large a role subconscious bias plays here though.

My only fear is this review will be used as evidence that measurements don't matter as much as Toole/Olive want us to believe; and it'll actually be be a decent argument. If a speaker can measure this terrible(lots of resonances, exaggerated upper bass, no deep bass, poor directivity, not great distortion), cost this much, and still sound good enough to get a recommendation, how important can good measurements really be?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My only fear is this review will be used as evidence that measurements don't matter as much as Toole/Olive want us to believe; and it'll actually be be a decent argument. If a speaker can measure this terrible(lots of resonances, exaggerated upper bass, no deep bass, poor directivity, not great distortion), cost this much, and still sound good enough to get a recommendation, how important can good measurements really be?
Most speakers don't present such juxtapositions. I think we should expect a few cases that are puzzles.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean getting beat up for my text review is not enough??? :D

Honestly, I think a video review of this speaker could do really well. Maybe give you a chance to explain your reasoning in more detail. Also, Youtube recently disabled public "dislikes", so you don't have to worry about getting ratioed :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On people saying you could get the same performance in a cheap unit, I don't think you can. I think part of the good response is the super rigid box and high quality drivers. I can't prove this but it is a working hypothesis. There was certain clarity in high frequency notes that was really nice.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI the member who loaned it to me is local. I just drove it back to him. Both of us drove many miles to meet in the middle. And with Christmas shopping season, we had to deal with a ton of traffic. It was worth it though to get a taste of Wilson products under the magnification of Klippel NFS.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Room friendly speaker I suppose, then again accuracy and good sounding might not align at times. Still, $10k is a lot of dough :eek:

Rvrd90

I’ve been waiting for a Wilson measurement my whole life lol and it did not disappoint! There are speakers that measure better for $150 and yet Amir still recommended them anyway knowing full well he was going to get a bunch of shit for it and that’s what makes this so awesome!
I think the Chane A1.5 actually measure better and he didn’t recommend it. SMH.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. Nice to see something at this price point that relies on lore and legend over engineering competence. It is unacceptably bad for the price. I won't list all the better things one could acquire with this much audio budget. I guess the aesthetic is divisive, but it doesn't suit my tastes, or my décor.

Top Bottom