• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Are you a current Denon/Marantz AVR Owner and if so what do you think of Audyssey's MultEQ-X?

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I've already purchased it.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I’m willing to spend the money once I learn more.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower is better.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower lower is better.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• I'm not an owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• Other (please explain).

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Press release ahead of the webinar:

LOS ANGELES, December 15, 2021--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Audyssey, a leader in audio technology for the home, automotive and commercial theater markets, announced today that it has released MultEQ-X, a powerful new software application for calibrating many home theater audio visual receivers (AVRs) that have Audyssey’s MultEQ room equalization technology built-in. MultEQ-X brings users greater control over calibration parameters, more detailed information about their room acoustics, and a variety of other key features, including:

• Measurement with detailed frequency responses for individual channels for easy room tuning*
  • Subwoofer-level adjustment with slow and super-slow time rates*
  • Advanced target curve designer, with new "Cutoff Mode" control, as well as complete control over target sound for every channel and every preset
  • Manual override of all automatically detected parameters
Audyssey first launched MultEQ in 2004, revolutionizing the state of home theater by making precision equalization available to a broad set of AVRs from several manufacturers. Today, MultEQ-X software works as an add-on to the MultEQ system already embedded in many AVRs. The new software platform from Audyssey was built from the ground up to serve the needs and interests of both professional installers and the most passionate AV enthusiasts. Users get complete control over their target sound response, with the ability to customize the frequency range and tonal balance of each individual speaker in the system.

More than a sleek interface to the built-in MultEQ technology, MultEQ-X decouples the delivery of technology from the delivery of hardware. This new app-based platform ensures that MultEQ-X users will be the first to experience many of the improvements and advancements to the MultEQ suite of software/firmware room correction tools that are currently under development.

At launch, MultEQ-X supports all Denon and Marantz AVRs that are compatible with the "Audyssey MultEQ Editor" mobile application (available on iOS and Android). Rather than replacing the mobile application, MultEQ-X is a more advanced system for users who desire greater control and a more immersive user experience that is still best served by the larger screen and more powerful processor of a desktop or laptop computer. Supported systems run a 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows 10, with the October 2018 update or later installed (version 1809 / Build 17763). This includes the newly released Windows 11. Support for more systems will be available in the future.

The download of MultEQ-X includes a virtual demonstration AVR to showcase the features and settings available to the user. To calibrate an AVR, a license must be acquired through an in-app purchase of $199.99, which entitles the user to calibrate a single AVR for the lifetime of the AVR. Licenses are per-user and per-AVR-serial-number, and are non-transferrable. Please refer to the Microsoft Store for detailed terms and conditions.

Audyssey MultEQ-X is available for download now at the Microsoft Store. For more information about Audyssey’s full range of consumer and B2B audio technologies, please visit www.audyssey.com.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Press release ahead of the webinar:

LOS ANGELES, December 15, 2021--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Audyssey, a leader in audio technology for the home, automotive and commercial theater markets, announced today that it has released MultEQ-X, a powerful new software application for calibrating many home theater audio visual receivers (AVRs) that have Audyssey’s MultEQ room equalization technology built-in. MultEQ-X brings users greater control over calibration parameters, more detailed information about their room acoustics, and a variety of other key features, including:

• Measurement with detailed frequency responses for individual channels for easy room tuning*
  • Subwoofer-level adjustment with slow and super-slow time rates*
  • Advanced target curve designer, with new "Cutoff Mode" control, as well as complete control over target sound for every channel and every preset
  • Manual override of all automatically detected parameters
Audyssey first launched MultEQ in 2004, revolutionizing the state of home theater by making precision equalization available to a broad set of AVRs from several manufacturers. Today, MultEQ-X software works as an add-on to the MultEQ system already embedded in many AVRs. The new software platform from Audyssey was built from the ground up to serve the needs and interests of both professional installers and the most passionate AV enthusiasts. Users get complete control over their target sound response, with the ability to customize the frequency range and tonal balance of each individual speaker in the system.

More than a sleek interface to the built-in MultEQ technology, MultEQ-X decouples the delivery of technology from the delivery of hardware. This new app-based platform ensures that MultEQ-X users will be the first to experience many of the improvements and advancements to the MultEQ suite of software/firmware room correction tools that are currently under development.

At launch, MultEQ-X supports all Denon and Marantz AVRs that are compatible with the "Audyssey MultEQ Editor" mobile application (available on iOS and Android). Rather than replacing the mobile application, MultEQ-X is a more advanced system for users who desire greater control and a more immersive user experience that is still best served by the larger screen and more powerful processor of a desktop or laptop computer. Supported systems run a 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows 10, with the October 2018 update or later installed (version 1809 / Build 17763). This includes the newly released Windows 11. Support for more systems will be available in the future.

The download of MultEQ-X includes a virtual demonstration AVR to showcase the features and settings available to the user. To calibrate an AVR, a license must be acquired through an in-app purchase of $199.99, which entitles the user to calibrate a single AVR for the lifetime of the AVR. Licenses are per-user and per-AVR-serial-number, and are non-transferrable. Please refer to the Microsoft Store for detailed terms and conditions.

Audyssey MultEQ-X is available for download now at the Microsoft Store. For more information about Audyssey’s full range of consumer and B2B audio technologies, please visit www.audyssey.com.

Denon already killed the product before it launched. It's $200 per AVR and is non-transferable and only works on a PC.
What a bunch of crap. Where is my Dirac. :D

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Licenses are per-user and per-AVR-serial-number, and are non-transferrable."

$200 per AVR, non-transferable to a new buyer, and not usable on a new AVR? That's going to be a deal breaker for many people, possibly for me. It's a shockingly consumer unfriendly move.

They should offer a 10% discount for those who have already purchased the MultEQ Editor App.

anthonymoody

Hmm, $200 and Windows desktop only. I’ll wait to see if this is worth it. I was hoping for a cheaper price point.
And it's per user/per AVR. So unless I'm mistaken you couldn't pay your dealer to do it. (Thinking further - I guess they could create an additional user on their PC for my set up).

beren777

They should offer a 10% discount for those who have already purchased the MultEQ Editor App.
I'd be okay without the discount, but I shouldn't have to buy a new license one for every AVR I buy. They could allow one license reset or addition via online proof of purchase submittal, for example, if they're that afraid people will misuse the licensing for multiple units they don't own. People should be able to transfer the license via serial number for free or a reduced cost. Limit it to a certain number per year if they must. Instead they took the most anti-consumer approach they could.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Link to Microsoft Store shows a few screenshots:
EDIT: This is the link to the Canadian Store, not sure if this will work elsewhere.
apps.43580.14524960254668743.986941ef-434b-4ab5-b68a-fedf906c2ba8.8424effe-7a2c-401f-ba18-5463cf6c4a2a

apps.49205.14524960254668743.986941ef-434b-4ab5-b68a-fedf906c2ba8.93e597ae-f59b-4200-9fc5-a65fe3076aa4

apps.51535.14524960254668743.986941ef-434b-4ab5-b68a-fedf906c2ba8.de3cd502-f8c8-4f03-9f66-2fabd1b5ed68

apps.18475.14524960254668743.986941ef-434b-4ab5-b68a-fedf906c2ba8.bbb06a2a-2cd2-409f-a811-598d7a54ede1

apps.48823.14524960254668743.986941ef-434b-4ab5-b68a-fedf906c2ba8.294bf96f-8454-4463-8342-95198e70c206

apps.15313.14524960254668743.986941ef-434b-4ab5-b68a-fedf906c2ba8.3377528a-2396-4b78-bb5f-30a083d9c2c5

apps.4377.14524960254668743.986941ef-434b-4ab5-b68a-fedf906c2ba8.e134041d-3906-41b1-831a-6cc3ffab2553

Last edited:

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Complete money grab honestly. They say this is for dealers/installers...how does that make sense if you have to shell out $200 for EVERY AVR you calibrate? Big miss here.
Easy. Dealer doesn't license it in their name. They license it in the client's name and the client pays the $200. Dealer just uses it for setup purposes.

sting004

Easy. Dealer doesn't license it in their name. They license it in the client's name and the client pays the $200. Dealer just uses it for setup purposes.

Good point. I don't see this as being particularly appealing as a customer though. Anyway, me as a consumer, I'll stick with XT32 and/or Dirac.

Trell

Major Contributor
Is it possible to use your own measurement mic?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Still watching the seminar...

Questions that came up:
1. Will this be available later?
Yes, a link to the presentation will be emailed (and I'll add it later) and video will posted on youtube channel

2. Can I use my calibrated microphone (like the MiniDSP Umik-1) with the AVRs?
No. It needs to be a microphone (either the small mic that comes with Denon/Marantz AVRs or one from from Sound United...something like the Pro Kit, to be announced later)

3. I want to fix my speakers with PEQ curves, is that possible?
Yes, we have unlimited number of PEQ filters (using the app), so you can correct anything you want. You won't need to run Audyssey room correction to use this feature, meaning you can just adjust PEQ filters without running Audyssey.
This is awesome!!!

4. Can you use two target curves (say one for more bass and one for less bass) and then switch back and forth instantly?
Yes, add the 1st target curve to "reference", add the 2nd target curve to "flat".
Then using the remote, switch between each instantly.
This is awesome!!!

5. More screenshots from "Step 3 (measure)":
2021-12-15 08_50_42-.png

2021-12-15 08_52_25-.png

The webinar is still going on...but I have to run out, so I can't finish watching it.

fieldcar

Is it possible to use your own measurement mic?
No. It needs to use the supplied wired mic.
The webinar is still going on...but I have to run out, so I can't finish watching it.
I've tried to have a ton of technical questions answered, but the UMIK-1 was the only question that was answered. :(

I want to know if EQ tilt will be possible.

EDIT: Sounds like they're covering them now. Yay!

EQ Tilt confirmed!

Last edited:

SKBubba

$200 is a > 40% premium on their entry level avr-s760h. Not that those buyers are likely to be all that interested.

Trell

Major Contributor
No. It needs to use the supplied wired mic.

Thanks, this is a bummer and I see little point of this software apart from easier editing as their app on Android/iOS apparently is pretty poor from a ui point of view.

I’ve got a 2015 model of a Denon AVR with no app support so little reason for me to upgrade from what is known today of the new software.

KMO

FWIW, this is the way their Audyssey Pro licensing has always worked. Although they've bumped the cost from $150 to $200.

This is effectively the "zero effort" option for them in terms of reusing their existing 10-year-old infrastructure.

Would certainly be more friendly to do what Dirac Live does, which is permit user transfers so you can sell on the licenses. (That involves submitting an application for manual intervention and a couple of days' processing, apparently, but it's free).

I think with Audyssey Pro, you probably could effectively sell your license if you had an installer login with just the one AVR licensed to it, and handed that account over. I wonder if there's anything stopping that here?

Top Bottom